• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Rock bottom?

Is the club past rock bottom?

• Total voters
Hearing about the £1 million bond from the National League was the moment I genuinely felt for the first time we were done. Till then I always just had a gut instinct something would come along to save us…but in that moment all hope left me.

Hopefully that was a case of it being darkest just before the dawn 🤞
Yep @Ron Manager same as you & the other guys. I felt that was probably a bridge too far for the consortium & there was no realistic way to push the FF debacle along fast enough to save the club.

Those dark clouds are lightening but are still a dirty grey at the moment.

There's been a few rock bottoms! The first and still in my opinion the true rock bottom as a football club was the 0-4 home defeat to Chesterfield under Phil Brown. If Stan hadn't stuck his oar in at that point I think we'd have done a Scunthorpe and dropped straight into the NLS, and probably wouldn't have survived another season.

Everything thats happened since, both ups and downs, on and off the pitch, has been a process we've had to go through to properly recover. We were always going to have to go through the pain of a takeover which Ron was always going to make almost impossibly difficult.

I see it a bit like being diagnosed with a life threatening condition after years of wondering whats wrong with you, that will have a long and painful recovery, which is fraught with danger and may not be succesful, but its the only way you're going to get better so you just have to put the blinkers on and get through it.

Rock bottom being the diagnosis. Anything afterwards is the recovery (if succesful), however drawn out & painful.

Seeing a turfing firm come in and fix up the pitch edges and holes of the once hallowed Roots Hall playing surface, scenes of a harrowing scenario that you knew our ground staff werent getting paid.
This time last summer was truly awful, worse than Sunday league clubs.

I will never forget the staff, fans and players that enabled the game to go ahead and thrash the much fancied Oldham.

Back