• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rival Club Soft Spots

TUMBO

Following the fans of York's collection over the weekend for our unpaid staff, I'd be interested to see which clubs our fans hold in high regards and for the reasons why.

I've been following Southend since 2004 /2005 season and have the following:

Doncaster Rovers - them applauding the fan base after doing us 5-1 at the Keepmoat in the Playoffs.

Chesterfield - For holding the Martin Out Banner for us in Phil Brown's last game

Wrexham and York City, both for raising funds for unpaid staff.

Swansea after they clapped us out the ground after getting promoted
I was thinking I hate them all but yes, now you mention it, they were good.

The atmosphere was really full-on during the game-- one of the most exciting games I've ever been to--but they were very generous at the end. Freddy's two goals that day were sublime.

I was thinking I hate them all but yes, now you mention it, they were good.

The atmosphere was really full-on during the game-- one of the most exciting games I've ever been to--but they were very generous at the end. Freddy's two goals that day were sublime.
What a day, was it the first or second goal where he left the defender on his backside and tucked it in?

Its the random clubs you have a soft spot for without any real reason that I like. For me its the likes of Torquay, Accrington Stanley, Workington (one for the over 60's there), and for some reason QPR. Maybe due to Stan Bowles back in the day. What a team they had for a while in the 70's.

A good pal supports Tranmere and I've been to a few southern away matches with him, as well as us meeting up for home and away Southend v TRFC fixtures so bit of a soft spot for them.

Brighton. Lived there a good few years, went to plenty of games at Withdean and later the Amex.

To think they were fighting public enquiries for Falmer while we drooled over Ron's sperm stadium renders....

Swindon, just because for a while in the late 60s and early 70s they as a deeply unfashionable Third Division club held the top teams of Divisions 1 and 2 at bay to win the League Cup and in Don Rogers had a charismatic and loyal forward, a model professional. Rogers is still involved at Swindon in his late seventies.

Everton…when we outplayed them in the cup and they couldn’t be more full of praise afterwards

Southampton - for also clapping us out of their ground and all the way along the road, far out of the city, after they tonked us 4-1, after Adam Barrett put us one up (with suitable celebration after recently becoming a new dad).

This was the first match after Alan Ball's passing and their tribute to us was for the way we paid our respects to a great man, and one of their all time legends, singing throughout even as we were relegated from the Championship.

Swansea after they clapped us out the ground after getting promoted
In similar vain Southampton after we lost away to them in our last game of the Championship. They clapped all the fans as we were leaving on the busses.

In similar vain Southampton after we lost away to them in our last game of the Championship. They clapped all the fans as we were leaving on the busses.
Some teams, Swanseas being a prime example, are very generous even if things haven’t gone their way. However I wonder if Southampton would have been so nice if we’d beaten them, likewise Everton. Utbs!

Back