• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ricky Holmes

Does anyone know anything about Ricky Holmes who plays for Chelmsford City?

Just before Christmas I was in the Chelmsford area (?) and decided to go and watch a game. There is nothing quite like watching non-league football. Although it was not a great spectacle, I had 6 goals to watch as chelmsford beat Margate 5-1. Although he didn't score, I couldn't help but notice that Holmes had a bit of real quality about him. I know it's non-league but he was very impressive.

The Chelmsford fans (both of em!) I spoke to couldn't say enough good things about him and said that scouts from Charlton and Reading had been down to specifically watch Holmes.

I just wondered if he was that good and so local, why Southend hadn't shown any interest, maybe they have already?

- G

Already been scouted by SUFC and for whatever reason hasn't been snapped up.....yet

We have. There were rumours flying around this pre-season and last that we were after him, and I'm pretty sure T and B have been to see him play. I dont think we still have an interest tho.

He is a good player thats for sure. I've seen him a few times most recently the 29th vs Billericay. He was poor that day and i spoke to a number of Chelmsford fans who all said he's off to Peterborough for about 30k. I don't know how he would do in a side chasing promotion to the championship in all honesty and think he'd struggle, like Whelpdale to get a good run at L2 level.

The Chelmsford fans (both of em!) I spoke to....

Oi, there's at least three of us, and sometimes four......:rolleyes: :p

Ricky is an excellent player for us, top scorer at the moment too with 15 goals. He's very quick, and delivers a good cross, but might be a little lightweight for league football (mind you, so was Kightly once...), or perhaps a little short, although he gets to a lot of headers. I suppose what you have to bear in mind is that this is all against quite a few defences often made up of some of football's slower players, what would he be like against better league defences? Having said that, when he comes up against better full backs, he's still generally got the better of them, either that or he gets clattered...

AC

Im sure Tillys relationship with King would put us in prime position to get him, if Tilly wanted to...

I'm sure I heard on the radio, whilst listening to the Hartlepool game that we've signed him?

Did anyone else hear this or am I imagining things?

I'm sure I heard on the radio, whilst listening to the Hartlepool game that we've signed him?

Did anyone else hear this or am I imagining things?

"It was just your imagination. Running away with you. It was just your imagination, running away with you"

A texter stated he would like tilly to sign him plus some bloke from Grays.

Ah that clears it up then.

I think he's worth 50k or so as he's the top scorer in the ryman prem from right midfield, has 2 solid feet and will be the paciest player in this league should he sign.

The problem being Chelmsford want 130k I've heard.

heard a lot of good about him but I always question if he's that good why hasn't he been snapped up. He was mentioned here in the summer and now coming up to the end of the transfer window and he's still at Chelmsford.

heard a lot of good about him but I always question if he's that good why hasn't he been snapped up. He was mentioned here in the summer and now coming up to the end of the transfer window and he's still at Chelmsford.

I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous reply above :D , stating that he might be seen as a little short, or a little lightweight, or both. Perfect for the Ryman but he might need to bulk out like Kightly has.

He's good at tracking back too, but unlikely to solve any issues you might have at centre-back.....:o

AC

He is a good player thats for sure. I've seen him a few times most recently the 29th vs Billericay. He was poor that day and i spoke to a number of Chelmsford fans who all said he's off to Peterborough for about 30k. I don't know how he would do in a side chasing promotion to the championship in all honesty and think he'd struggle, like Whelpdale to get a good run at L2 level.

That'd be the Whelpdale that's figured in 19 first team games in the last three and a bit months, mostly starts and a few sub appearances?

I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous reply above :D , stating that he might be seen as a little short, or a little lightweight, or both. Perfect for the Ryman but he might need to bulk out like Kightly has.

He's good at tracking back too, but unlikely to solve any issues you might have at centre-back.....:o

AC

And he got rather stupidly sent off after your game on Saturday...

I heard Chelmsford wanted 130k for him, thats probably why.

Any truth in this Adrian?

And he got rather stupidly sent off after your game on Saturday...

Yes i was at the game Saturday and it seemed to happen after full time when he must have said something to the ref. Agree with all said on here about him and in addition I can honestly say I 've never seen a player with such a deadly corner technique. He curled them in from the left hand side top back post every time, even scored direct from one but was ruled out for an infringment in the box. Cant understamd why a conferance or league two havn't been in for him this window.

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back