• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RH Goalposts

cerbera45

Coach⭐
Back in the 80's when I was a kid my Dad refereed the Essex Senior Cup Final at Roots Hall and I remember going onto the pitch and what surprised me was the goalposts weren't completely circular, they were in fact more of an elliptical shape. Did anyone else notice this when going on the pitch (I assume we all have at one time or another) playing in post-season local Cup Finals etc? thanks

Back in the 80's when I was a kid my Dad refereed the Essex Senior Cup Final at Roots Hall and I remember going onto the pitch and what surprised me was the goalposts weren't completely circular, they were in fact more of an elliptical shape. Did anyone else notice this when going on the pitch (I assume we all have at one time or another) playing in post-season local Cup Finals etc? thanks
They were the original wooden goalposts! Pretty sure they were the 1955 originals, only replaced after one was broken following the last game of the 1997/8 season and a protest pitch invasion following our second successive relegation and last place finish.

The Martin Dawn/Delancey takeover plan was announced the following week...!

• Sad
Reactions: TJC
I remember noticing this when Jim Stannard took me and a few other kids onto the pitch for goalkeeping training as part of Junior Blues one February half term, probably 1985, run by Steve Philips at the time. Some little kid about 6 took a shot and I was about 10 so I thought it would be fair to let it in to make the lads day, scoring at Roots Hall and all that, but Big Jim called me out on it and said “what the matter son don’t you want to save it?” making me look a right **** in front of all the other kids. From that day on I have upheld ridiculous professional standards in life to the extent that if some old granny turns up at the checkout at Aldi with a single tin of sausages and baked beans and I have a full ****ing trolley, a family shop with loads of cans, I won’t let her go in front of me, no way. Jim Stannard taught me not give an inch to any ****er. Made me a better person. Anyway, yes, the goal posts were elliptical not circular.

Played in a Cup Final in the late 90's at Roots Hall and the bar was kind of oval shaped.
I remember clearly the ball going out of play, hitting the bar and bouncing back in and the opposition scoring and the goal being given

I remember noticing this when Jim Stannard took me and a few other kids onto the pitch for goalkeeping training as part of Junior Blues one February half term, probably 1985, run by Steve Philips at the time. Some little kid about 6 took a shot and I was about 10 so I thought it would be fair to let it in to make the lads day, scoring at Roots Hall and all that, but Big Jim called me out on it and said “what the matter son don’t you want to save it?” making me look a right **** in front of all the other kids. From that day on I have upheld ridiculous professional standards in life to the extent that if some old granny turns up at the checkout at Aldi with a single tin of sausages and baked beans and I have a full ****ing trolley, a family shop with loads of cans, I won’t let her go in front of me, no way. Jim Stannard taught me not give an inch to any ****er. Made me a better person. Anyway, yes, the goal posts were elliptical not circular.
Ah yes, thanks guys

They were the original wooden goalposts! Pretty sure they were the 1955 originals, only replaced after one was broken following the last game of the 1997/8 season and a protest pitch invasion following our second successive relegation and last place finish.

The Martin Dawn/Delancey takeover plan was announced the following week...!
I remember that invasion and people hanging off the crossbar etc.
The last take-over was certainly quicker than this time. Worked out well :Winking2:. I guess we are still here to tell the tale.

Back