• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ref Watch Refwatch ......... Eastleigh (H)

Mick

Life President
We have the edge in matches against Eastleigh; six games, 3 wins, 2 defeats and a draw. We have scored 7 goals, they have scored 6 goals. They’ve picked up 13 yellow cards, we’ve had 18.

Tomorrow’s referee has multiple and diverse sporting interests and, fittingly, now comes from Rugby. He is Jacob Miles and should not be found wanting for fitness – he is a marathon runner and triathlete. Three years ago, he was from the Brighton area and working as a Referee Administrator for Sussex FA, amongst other things. He also umpires tennis at the highest level, having worked at 18 Grand Slams world-wide and at Wimbledon a couple of years back he was a Chair Umpire (equivalent to a middle in football).

When he was last at Roots Hall, for the Boxing Day game against Bromley in 22/23, we lost 1-0 with three cards apiece – ours going to Hobson, Husin and Cardwell.

At the end of that season he was promoted to do Football League games (last season 21 games, 84 yellows and one red) and he returns to Roots Hall under the new arrangement for pooling League One, League Two and National League officials.

This season he has done 4 matches, all involving Football League teams with 18 cautions to his name.

In 21/22, he took charge of our televised Friday night match at Grimsby when a very early goal condemned us to a 1-0 defeat - yellows for Egbri and Ferguson and one of theirs. I thought he did very well. In the same season, he refereed our home 1-1 draw against Solihull, with more bookings – three for them and also Husin and Atkinson. Again, a good performance from the man in the middle.

He was also an Assistant for our 2-0 defeat at Portsmouth back in 2018/19.

Assisting will be Ross Murphy from Brixton, a Commercial Manager in the retail sector and Elliott Mayer from Barnet, a Sales Manager for an electronics company. Fourth Official will be Tranmere Rovers supporter and ex-semipro player for Newtown (in the Welsh League), Anthony Da Costa, now from Cambridge.

Credit where due as I thought he had a really inconspicuous game which I assume he would want & we certainly do.

Not sure if the pen was a flattening of Crowther or handball while that was happening but either seemed possible. He gave what he saw.

Pretty sure it was handball, the #4 sort of fell on the ball scooping it away as he did so, not sure he knew that much about it but prob a pen by letter of the law.
It was a real mess & I couldn't really tell from the TV coverage. Will need another few views.

Best ref we have had for a long time. My only criticism would be one advantage not given in the second half .. if he’d just waited two seconds..
Yep. Moncur was well on his way to their area but he blew up very quickly. I'd forgotten about that.

The referee clearly indicated it was for handball.

I felt the referee missed a potential penalty for Eastleigh with a high boot, with one of the Eastleigh players going to ground. I only saw it once on the stream last night, so may well not have even been close, but not seen this mentioned anywhere else.

I felt the referee missed a potential penalty for Eastleigh with a high boot, with one of the Eastleigh players going to ground. I only saw it once on the stream last night, so may well not have even been close, but not seen this mentioned anywhere else.
I thought we were lucky to get away with that. The penalty was def handball. The ref was in a good position and gave what he saw. I was at the back of W Block and it was clear he moved it with his arm. I do understand the possible advantage for Moncur, but I think he just made his mind up it was a bad tackle and wanted to issue a caution straight away. Saying that, overall I thought he was really good

Back