• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Questions for Gary Jones (1993-6)

Napster

No ⭐
Gary has agreed to answer some questions about his career, and also he remembers the Manor friendly: "I remember it well, it put me out for nearly 2 months ! They had to cut my new boots up to get my ankle out it was that swollen within minutes!! Grade 2 ankle ligaments great !!"

Short and sweet please! Deadline 5pm

From the players he was at Southend with who’d be in his dream

a) 5 a side team
b) boat race drinking team

Did he ever imagine Spud would manage England?

Favourite Barry Fry tale?

And a big thank you for his goal at Norwich giving me my first ever away win (it was my 27th away game!)

Was it Steve Thompson that decided to attack straight down the middle.

We were looking at relegation, then came Thompson and transformed SUFC and Gary Jones.
To be honest imo, i thought Jones was a donkey, then he started to run straight down the middle at the defenders and at the goal.

Jones then stared to bang the goals in left right and centre.
Is that how Jones preferred to play.

I was made to eat my words, and quite rightly so

Would love to know why he thought Steve Thompson was able to get the best out of him compared to some of our other managers he played under. That spell under Tommo still remains one of my favourite periods. Some great games and Jones couldn't stop scoring.
I bumped into Steve Thompson in the Royal Oak when I was living in Scopwick in the late 1990s.
'How did you get those performances out of the players, Steve?' I asked him.
'Fear,' he said. 'I'm a big bloke.'

At the time we signed Andy Thomson from Queen of the South, he was apparently known as 'Mr Goals'! He wasn't prolific when playing for Southend, though. Why does Gary think that it is?

He might be a big bloke, but he's an absolute snowflake who blocked me on twitter for asking a few innocuous questions. Ditto Blair Sturrock.
think Blair blocked every Southend fan!
Certainly did me as well

Back