• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Players Who Support the Blues

If clubs could only play players who supported the team would we get a team out. Are there any Blues' fans playing for other teams that anyone is aware of?

Tricky... don't know whether these players are Southend fans as such; however they did grow up in the Southend area:

Matt Lockwood (Orient)
Adam Barrett (Brizzle Rovers)
Neil Harris (Millwall)

Of course, there's also our ex-players who still love us:

Spencer Prior (Cardiff)
Andy Edwards (Peterborough)
Chris Powell (Charlton)
Simon Royce (Charlton)
Brett Angell (Tesco)
Stan Collymore (Solihull NCP)

ghostface.gif

Can't think of any more.

Matt

I think that you would be very hard-pressed to find very many. It would be difficult for a northern footballer playing for Cheltenham for example to say I actually support Rochdale!

It must be considered that football is a business and to most players it is just a job and therefore do not really support anyone.

Perhaps someone should put this question to the current SUFC squad and actually find out who will respond.

Basically, who do you support as a football team?

Might make an interesting read!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 12 2004,11:16)]Tricky... don't know whether these players are Southend fans as such; however they did grow up in the Southend area:

Matt Lockwood (Orient)
Neil Harris (Millwall)

Spencer Prior (Cardiff)
Chris Powell (Charlton)
Simon Royce (Charlton)
Brett Angell (Tesco)

ghostface.gif

Can't think of any more.

Matt
Ian O'Connell (Chelmsford)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ May 12 2004,10:23)]MtS - Why isnt Spencer Prior down as a local lad?? He was born in Rochford as per most of the citizens of Southend.
Cos I'd forgotten that!

wink.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ May 12 2004,10:25)]Stan was charged on Monday with threatening behaviour

sad.gif
Oh no, what's he done now? I'd missed that particular episode...

It's so sad... sometimes, he seems like an accident just waiting to happen.

sad.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 12 2004,10:27)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ May 12 2004,10:25)]Stan was charged on Monday with threatening behaviour

sad.gif
Oh no, what's he done now?  I'd missed that particular episode...

It's so sad... sometimes, he seems like an accident just waiting to happen.

sad.gif

Matt
From the Scotsman

11:23pm (UK)
Collymore Accused of Threatening to Kill Wife

By Matthew Cooper, PA News

Ex-soccer star Stan Collymore has been charged with threatening to kill his estranged wife, it was reported tonight.

The former Liverpool, Aston Villa and Nottingham Forest striker is due to appear before Mid-Staffordshire magistrates next Monday charged with a total of four offences.

The Sun said that Collymore, 33, was arrested after an attack on his wife Estelle’s Mini Cooper, in which the vehicle’s front passenger side window was smashed.

The newspaper reported that Collymore is accused of behaving abusively, causing criminal damage, making a threat to kill and issuing a threat to cause criminal damage.

A Staffordshire Police spokesman told PA News the force had a policy of refusing to disclose the identity of anyone charged with a criminal offence.

But he added: “A 33-year-old man from the Cannock area was arrested at his home address on Monday night and taken into custody at the town’s police station.

“He was later charged with four offences and a file has been sent to the Crown Prosecution Service, who as a matter of routine will review the case before next Monday, when the man is due to appear before Mid-Staffordshire magistrates.

“In the meantime the man is on police bail.”

Gower is a Spurs fan and played for Spurs, so there's one..........

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 12 2004,10:27)]Oh no, what's he done now?  I'd missed that particular episode...
he threatened his wife following the dogging incident and has been charged.....

I reckon he needs a few years in a buddhist retreat or something

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ May 12 2004,11:24)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 12 2004,11:16)]Tricky... don't know whether these players are Southend fans as such; however they did grow up in the Southend area:

Matt Lockwood (Orient)
Neil Harris (Millwall)

Spencer Prior (Cardiff)
Chris Powell (Charlton)
Simon Royce (Charlton)
Brett Angell (Tesco)

ghostface.gif

Can't think of any more.

Matt
Ian O'Connell (Chelmsford)
I mentioned Ian O'Connell as a local lad (played for SUFC very briefly... doubt he supports the team though) and the Chelmsford I mentioned refers to City... where he plays.

Just thought I'd clear that up.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 12 2004,10:26)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ May 12 2004,10:23)]MtS - Why isnt Spencer Prior down as a local lad?? He was born in Rochford as per most of the citizens of Southend.
Cos I'd forgotten that!

wink.gif

Matt
He also lived in Hockley, and although he is older than me he went to the same schools as me and many other Hockleyterians.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bob Cratchitt @ May 12 2004,10:38)]So it appears Mr Martin was shrewd to wait and not go along with the hysteria of employing Stanley.
Indeed...

but we were close to employing Nicky Laws, don't forget!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ May 12 2004,10:29)]
Another Lee Chapman then!

I really cannot stand that to**er as just seeing his picture makes mr cringe!

What has he done to my beloved (Before trout pout) Leslie Ash?!!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Prophet of Doom! @ May 12 2004,10:45)]What has he done to my beloved Leslie Ash?!!!!
The answer to that question, PoD, is: Smacked her about. Loads of revelations in the NotW about Chapman's wife-beating on Sunday - expect that story to roll and roll.

After all, how many people do you know have "rough sex" whilst fully clothed...? Lee Chapman & Leslie Ash do, apparently...

Naps - what has Nicky Laws done that would have made appointing him a bad idea?

Matt

Back