• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
Fresh from capturing the signatures of Cristiano Ronaldo and Kaka, Florentino Perez is now bent on global domination, according to reports in Spanish football newspaper, AS. It has been claimed that the Real Madrid President is rapidly drawing up plans to shift his club's kick-off times from evenings to afternoons in order to take on the English Premier League in the lucrative Asian market. Even by Perez's standards, this is a staggeringly bad idea.

La Liga matches are traditionally played in the evenings, primarily because Spain, in the middle of the afternoon, is roughly as hot as the surface of the sun. In fact, outside of the major cities, Spaniards are so averse to leaving the relative cool of their homes in the summer that entire towns close after lunch so that everyone can have an afternoon nap. Perez is reported to be interested in moving the spring games to 4pm and the winter fixtures to 3pm. Live prime time Spanish football might sound good, but effectively we're talking about very sweaty, very docile footballers playing keepball in deserted stadiums. Let's see how well that sells.

This avaricious quest for foreign revenues is well established in English football. The traditional 3pm kickoff has long since been usurped by the insanity of the lunchtime or the early evening start. No-one wants to get up and go to the football on a Saturday morning and that's when your team's lucky enough to be playing at home. An away game for a northern team in London can sometimes mean a 3am start for the travelling support. The evening kickoff isn't any better. It rips through your weekend like a dagger, wiping out your afternoon and reducing your Saturday night to a couple of hours at best. It's not the natural order of things and the fans here hate it.

Fortunately, there is a delicate balance that prevents it from doing anything more than infuriating the supporters. The television money in England is still shared on a relatively sensible basis. If other nations pay big bucks to watch Liverpool and Manchester United, Burnley and Stoke will also benefit. Not so in Spain. La Liga clubs organise their TV deals themselves, which is why even at their most chaotic and disorganised, Real Madrid would really have to work hard to ever drop out of the Champions League places. Because of their independent negotiating position, they always have more money than anyone else, barring Barcelona.

This season, there can be little doubt of what would sell best in the short-term. If you're a neutral fan, would you rather watch Manchester United against Birmingham or Real Madrid against Sporting Gijon? I know that I'm intrigued to find out how Cristiano Ronaldo and Kaka get on, and I bet that non-Reds in Singapore will feel the same. But what about in the future? Perez believes that 800 million people watch Real Madrid every week at present and that he could boost the numbers to 1.8 billion if he gets his way. That's a lot more money pouring into the Bernabau coffers, so it won't take long for the gap between the rich and everyone else in Spain to be become unbreachable, if it isn't already. As Scottish football fans will tell you, once a football league loses competitivity, it loses credibility.

You can understand Perez's motives. He's just hocked the football club's future on the flimsy and rather groundless basis that 'the most expensive things are the cheapest' and he needs those returns quickly. But to do it by ripping the heart out of Spanish football culture and critically unbalancing La Liga is a price that just isn't worth paying.

Very interesting as always, Slipper. A few points if I may...

There are two sides to the collective bargaining of Premiership rights, in my eyes. One is that the TV money is split more equitably, and that the clubs lower down the table do receive more as a result. Against that, you have a TV company deciding upon the distribution on what might be perceived to be a fairly subjective basis. If, say, Everton or Villa crack the top four this year I'm not at all convinced that it will have a tangible impact on how many of their games are shown and therefore how much they receive. The power of an external company to enforce the status quo in such a manner just strikes me as being somehow wrong in an agreement that is meant to impartially benefit all who sign up to it. It's a well known fact that BSkyB love Manchester United so much that they tried to buy the company.

You also have to consider the very nature of the coverage itself. Certainly to me, Sky's coverage of the Premiership seems to drive home at every opportunity that it's all about the big four, with the rest of the league patronised as plucky underdogs. You can very easily be left with the impression that there's something quaintly anachronistic about supporting ones local team instead of forming some bizarre perceived allegiance to one of the big clubs based upon little more than the fact that they appear regularly upon your television screen. Over an extended period of time might this coverage change attitudes to what it means to support a football team? If the biggest clubs didn't think that the arrangement held very real benefits for them, then I simply don't think that they'd sign up to it.

The Spanish system is far from perfect, but it at least affords every club the opportunity to attract sympathetic and comprehensive coverage from its own broadcaster. Spanish clubs don't attract the same levels of attendance as ours - that's simply their culture - but watching La Liga I'm always impressed with the sense of regional pride that comes across, aided no doubt by a larger contingent of domestic players instead of the "World XI Lite" formula in evidence throughout much of the lower regions of the Premiership. Might this fade if TV coverage were provide by one omnipotent broadcaster driving home the message that the smaller clubs are really only there to turn up and lose to the clubs that matter?

The financial dominance of Barca and Real is La Liga's achilles heel - on that I couldn't agree with you more. I've said before that I would like to see UEFA follow through with their proposals to introduce limits to clubs' debts as a criteria for entry into European competition. We reject as unfair the idea that clubs should be able to field players owned by third parties form outside of the game, so why do we allow them to play with third party money? Counterbalancing the political power of clubs like Madrid to lean on local banks for ever more ridiculous loans is, in my opinion, the strongest measure available to us that might hopefully eat some way into the unfair advantage that they presently enjoy.

He expects 1.8 Billion to watch Real Madrid! That's a quarter of the population of the Friggin' Planet!!

The more and more this summer drags on, the more maniacal Perez seems. The sycophancy of Kaka and Ronaldo's unveilings was bordering on the nauseus, but to even attempt to take on the EPL is stupid at best, suicidal at worst.

I'm more interested in seeing how Italy's new rehashed Serie A works out... They've copied the EPL model somewhat and formed the Lega Calcio and massively overhauled their television rights.

Last edited:

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back