• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

New striker

chadded

Not striking since 2004
We've already got Dudfield, Tes, and Drewe for next season, and hopefully Constantine. Corbett also prefers playing as a centre forward, so if he signed that would make five. Husbands, if he can't find a club, makes 6 strikers. Surely we don't need another....

Good question, young man ...

Kev

wink.gif

That would suggest that there's a big "if" over the Constantine situation. Looked at pessimistically, we've got:

Dudders - first name on the teamsheet, practically
Drooooo - well, he certainly divides opinion between "battler" and "donkey"
Bramble - captain inconsistency
Corbett - has been injured a lot, prefers playing on the wing in any event
Husbands - may be off; even if not, a long way shy of first team regular in terms of consistency

So, if Conny goes, that leaves the cupboard looking awfully bare - Dudders, and one of Drewe or Tes (with Corbett as back up).

In the circumstances, I think it's entirely prudent to get someone lined up - and McGleish is not a bad one to have lined up. Just hope he doesn't get boo-ed just because he played for the Scum. Personally, I've always thought he was a battler... didn't do too badly last term, with 11 in the league and 6 in the LDV.

His league record for Barnet and Col Ewe is 75 goals in 278 games (54 of which were as sub)... which is a goal every 3.7 games, or just over 12 a season in the league. Not stellar, so I hope he's cheap.

rock.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 18 2004,18:05)]Bramble - captain
Wouldn't be my choice if Kev leaves, but maybe he'll take the opportunity and responsibility with both hands...
biggrin.gif

I thought Ronnie prefers the centre forward spot. Maybe I'm wrong...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chadded @ May 18 2004,18:11)]
[b said:
Wouldn't be my choice if Kev leaves, but maybe he'll take the opportunity and responsibility with both hands...  
biggrin.gif

Cheeky!

tounge.gif

Fairly sure Corbett prefers playing on the right wing, rather than up front...?

rock.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 18 2004,18:32)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (chadded @ May 18 2004,18:11)]
[b said:
biggrin.gif

Cheeky!

tounge.gif

Fairly sure Corbett prefers playing on the right wing, rather than up front...?

rock.gif

Matt
If you're right, cool. Although I'd say his best position is behind the two strikers......

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chadded @ May 18 2004,18:36)]If you're right, cool. Although I'd say his best position is behind the two strikers......
You may well be right about that; it's just that I seem to recall Jimmy saying, when he signed, that he preferred playing right wing, although could play up front or "in the hole", so to speak...

wink.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ May 18 2004,17:54)]Good question, young man ...

Kev

wink.gif
i seem to remember you going on at me about husbands not being confident of his position at the club...

you tell me he had a contract which he does...

and now he has been told he can leave if he finds a club..

an apology... please?
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (southend4ever @ May 18 2004,18:45)]
[b said:

Kev

wink.gif
i seem to remember you going on at me about husbands not being confident of his position at the club...

an apology... please?  
biggrin.gif
Try this:

F*ck Off.

Kev

smile.gif
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ May 18 2004,22:11)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (southend4ever @ May 18 2004,18:45)]
[b said:

Kev

wink.gif

an apology... please?  
biggrin.gif
Try this:

F*ck Off.

Kev

smile.gif

rock.gif
LOL!!

sourgrapes....

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 18 2004,18:41)]play "in the hole", so to speak...
Ah, if only SZ wasn't a family message board..............

Broughton for me shouldn't be a first team player. he is ryman league standard. I will support him whilst his here but Bramble and Broughton dont cut it so that leaves us with Connie, Dudders, Corbett. That is 3, i take it Husbands isnt in Tillys plans so he is more than justified to look for another striker.

And Alex Revell wud be a bloody good signing.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ May 18 2004,22:47)]And Alex Revell wud be a bloody good signing.
Why do you say that, when most of the Cambridge fans think he's a mule with lead in his boots...?

Justification, please!

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 19 2004,10:17)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ May 18 2004,22:47)]And Alex Revell wud be a bloody good signing.
Why do you say that, when most of the Cambridge fans think he's a mule with lead in his boots...?

Justification, please!

Matt
I work with a Camb Utd season ticket holder who has seen every home and away game for 4 years and hence every minute of Revell's career. He is also mature and objective (surprisingly given previous statement!).

Revell is a player who has been showing potential (rather than realising it) for about 4 years. He has several times threatened to break into the side on a regular basis, but it just hasn't happened for him. He got his first chance at 17 but hasn't improved as they would have hoped.

This season when Camb Utd were changing things around, the new batch of 17/18 year olds were being selected ahead of him.

On that basis, an odd choice.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 19 2004,10:17)]
[b said:
Justification, please!
MtS don't ask stupid questions!! The answer is as you know "because I said so" or in AsreMad speak "bicows eye ced co".  

Don't forget the BoyWonder is a member (well we all know that) of the immortals or untouchables or something like that.  
wink.gif

ok, as we all know Champ is the king of all footballing 'games' and, in fact, determines how future football will turn out.

In Champ, I was Southend and, after staving off relegation and finishing seventeenth (oddly enough), I signed young Mr. Revell on a free after being impressed by his direct attributes. He played about 14 games for me after being unable to displace Barry Conlon (you read it here first) from the team and scored ten goals before an injury ended his season. Next year I sold him to Cambridge (in their faces) for 350K.

The moral of the story, there's more to life than champ.

...and assuming Champ is a good indicator, he'll have a great(ish) season.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chadded @ May 18 2004,18:45)]We've already got Dudfield, Tes, and Drewe for next season, and hopefully Constantine. Corbett also prefers playing as a centre forward, so if he signed that would make five. Husbands, if he can't find a club, makes 6 strikers. Surely we don't need another....
Kightly as well.
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hooly @ May 19 2004,11:01)]MtS don't ask stupid questions!!
Yes, sorry Hooly. I shall go away and chastise myself with the birch and hissop...

ghostface.gif

Matt

P.S. Up for The Exiles again next year, Hooly? I'll be e-mailing the gang shortly... you should see Broady's shirt in the Shrimpers. Terry in the West has done us very, very proud indeed.

smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 19 2004,11:12)]P.S. Up for The Exiles again next year, Hooly?  I'll be e-mailing the gang shortly... you should see Broady's shirt in the Shrimpers.
Yes Matt, count me in.  Any player will be fine now we don't have Jones.  Or is he the mystery striker?  
wow.gif

The men in white coats really will have to come for me then.  Wibble!!  
cool.gif

Back