• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Netherlands 1 - 2 England - UEFA Euro 2024 - Semi Final 10 July

Predict the result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It was soft but are you calling multiple refs all deluded? They'll know what constitutes a penalty better than us.
I 100% disagree. As soon as Kane shot I said to my family that I thought it was a penalty. I seem to be in a minority of 1, but hey ho.

His foot was high and his studs were showing. The acid test would be, would we be arguing if that happened outside the penalty box? I suspect not. I suspect we would all agree it was a foul. All a penalty is, is a foul in the area.

Here's another one for you. Was the Dutch goalscorer given a yellow card for his celebration? Here's the laws of the game:

A player must be cautioned, even if the goal is disallowed, for:

• climbing onto a perimeter fence and/or approaching the spectators in a manner which causes safety and/or security issues

Given that he was booked after our 2nd goal, that should have been a 2nd yellow. It probably wouldn't have made any difference, but it should have been.

For all those Zoners still banging on about the penalty, this is from the Dutch defender after the game.

“As extra time approached we felt that we were the stronger team, which makes it extra hard to swallow that the goal came so late,” Dumfries said after the game.

The defender had no complaints about the penalty decision that allowed Kane to level the scores from the spot, following an intervention by the video referee.

“I went to block the shot but I caught him, there was contact, so I knew that the penalty could be given,” Dumfries said. “It wasn’t deliberate, it was a split-second thing.”

Head coach Ronald Koeman said the manner of the defeat was a bitter pill to swallow.

It's bonkers that Mainoo (aged 19 and 8 caps) and Guehi (aged 23 and 16 caps) have probably been two of our best/most consistent players so far this tournament. Trust the kids!

Southgate likes to leave the subs late, and tbf it is working, even if it does mean there's about 25 mins in every second half where the game stagnates.

The final is probably the best squad versus the best team. Should be a cracker. Shaw to hopefully come in for Trippier, and it's great that we have multiple game-changers on the bench in Gordon, Palmer and Watkins.

For all those Zoners still banging on about the penalty, this is from the Dutch defender after the game.

“As extra time approached we felt that we were the stronger team, which makes it extra hard to swallow that the goal came so late,” Dumfries said after the game.

The defender had no complaints about the penalty decision that allowed Kane to level the scores from the spot, following an intervention by the video referee.

“I went to block the shot but I caught him, there was contact, so I knew that the penalty could be given,” Dumfries said. “It wasn’t deliberate, it was a split-second thing.”

Head coach Ronald Koeman said the manner of the defeat was a bitter pill to swallow.
He was talking about our 2nd goal being so late ,they had very little chance of replying

I 100% disagree. As soon as Kane shot I said to my family that I thought it was a penalty. I seem to be in a minority of 1, but hey ho.

His foot was high and his studs were showing. The acid test would be, would we be arguing if that happened outside the penalty box? I suspect not. I suspect we would all agree it was a foul. All a penalty is, is a foul in the area.

Here's another one for you. Was the Dutch goalscorer given a yellow card for his celebration? Here's the laws of the game:

A player must be cautioned, even if the goal is disallowed, for:

• climbing onto a perimeter fence and/or approaching the spectators in a manner which causes safety and/or security issues

Given that he was booked after our 2nd goal, that should have been a 2nd yellow. It probably wouldn't have made any difference, but it should have been.
I wasn't arguing against the penalty. I was saying anyone complaining about the penalty is claiming they know better than a qualified ref when they almost certainly don't. If there's no VAR then fair enough you can say the ref was wrong because the ref might have missed something, but if they've got video then odds are they'll make the right decision even if people don't like what the right decision is by the current rules.

He did ,but he also mentioned the timing of our second goal
Which is totally irrelevant to the point I was trying to make! Maybe I should just have included the quote about the penalty to avoid any reader confusion.

I wasn't arguing against the penalty. I was saying anyone complaining about the penalty is claiming they know better than a qualified ref when they almost certainly don't. If there's no VAR then fair enough you can say the ref was wrong because the ref might have missed something, but if they've got video then odds are they'll make the right decision even if people don't like what the right decision is by the current rules.
Fair enough, but I was answering your first point, that it was soft. Not in my opinion.

Anyone who thinks Kane`s VaR pen.was anything but a joke is deluded.:The acid test is would you be happy if England had conceded a similat VAR pen?Dont think many fans would be.

I must be deluded then.

Yes, it was soft/harsh, but everywhere else on the pitch it would be a free kick, the referee wouldn’t even need VAR for that (I know they can’t use VAR for that).

There is clear contact, so understand 100% why it was given. We’ve been on the rough end of decisions numerous times, Argentina 86, Beckham in 98, Sol Campbell’s disallowed goal, Lampard’s ghost goal, so it’s about time one went our way.

Personally, I couldn’t care less if the majority doesn’t agree with it, the ref gave it and Kane scored.

Firstly, the penalty incident. By the letter of the law, its penalty, isn’t it? In the box, the defender challenges, makes no contact with the ball and takes the man. You can say it’s soft, and you can make a more than sensible argument that the law’s incorrect. But the law, as it is, was applied correctly.

If football really is a game of time and space, and who controls both of those factors, then last night was a brilliant example of that.

That first 45 is perhaps the best England have played in years. Irrespective of Simons’s goal, England simply dominated and looked like they were capable of carving the Netherlands open at will, and it was squarely down to how they manipulated the Dutch shape to create pockets of space.

Koeman tweaked theirs at 35/40 mins and it stifled any semblance of an entertaining spectacle for much of the second half, but even then it was a game of real high quality for the purists. Some dogged defending, tactical awareness and pure determination meant both sides wrestled control of the available space throughout the game.

Then comes control of the time. Much has been made of Southgate’s subs, but I think holding off until 80 mins to bring Watkins on was a great decision making. It’s just enough for Watkins and Palmer to stretch tired legs, but not enough for Koeman to respond. Critics might say it was pure chance, but I don’t think so - Southgate’s “late subs” are at the 70/75 minute mark, this was a sucker punch designed to be deceptive, and it paid off.

Highlights for me were Foden, who was spectacular in that first half, Mainoo, who again showed the kind of control far beyond his years, and Guehi who was a rock. Disappointed in Rice, who was uncharacteristically poor, and Kane who’s a spent force.

As for Sunday, it’s impossible to know what’s going to happen. Either side could bottle the occasion, or equally either could put in the performance of their collective lifetimes. What’s more likely is it’ll be a tough fought battle separated by moments of brilliance, like both semi-finals were. All the fans can do is strap themselves in and hope for the best.

What we can conclude though is Southgate deserves enormous respect for his achievements of the past 8 years. I’ve no doubt it’ll be his last tournament, and England will be poorer for it I’m sure - both in terms of achievements of the national team and his overall impact on the game.

Enormously entertaining reading breathless condemnations of the penalty decision from sweaties and other no-hopers. The same clowns who have to support the teams that play England because their own nations produce such dross. We're here, we're drinking beer, get used to it.
My sister in law was in Edinburgh and they were cheering Spain’s goals like mad. When she asked why .. “they’ve got a better chance of beating England”. ****ing hell.

Back