• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

My view

shrimpled

Director⭐
I've given it a day before posting this as it gives people time to get yesterday out of our system.

Firstly - Credit to Tilly. We haven't been playing well lately and he tried to mix things up and change certain aspects of our play. This to me shows he knows we're not doing well and is trying his best to change things. The system he tried was suggested on here last week and it didn't work. He won't try it again.

Second - Harrold. Honestly i think we missed him. The ball didn't stick up front and the back line of oxford had nothing to do as he often stretches the defence coming to get the ball deep and creating holes for the other striker. Yesterday there was little movement, harrold wasn't bringing others intio play and we were easy to defend against.

Thirdly. - Our poor run of form last season coincided with the Norwich job coming up. Is it coincidence that its happened again?

Fourthly - Morgan isn't going to score too many goals, but in my opinion look lively and will create. It would be nice to see Charlie Mac start at some point, but i don't think that should be on Wednesday. In response to yesterdays performance i'd be tempted to start like this.

Collis
Hunt, Barrett, Richards, Hammel
Morgan, Bailey, McCormack, Gower
Leon Matty H

I've dropped Francis through no fault of his own, he just wouldn't fit into the system, Clarke for Richards as i feel height is imperative against Cadamateri and the other Huddersfield strikers and Maher as he hasn't played as well as Bailey or Macca lately and theres no room for another centre midfielder.

Thoughts?

Second - Harrold. Honestly i think we missed him. The ball didn't stick up front and the back line of oxford had nothing to do as he often stretches the defence coming to get the ball deep and creating holes for the other striker. Yesterday there was little movement, harrold wasn't bringing others intio play and we were easy to defend against.

At last, someone who understands the point of Harrold's inclusion in recent starting XI's.
Try focusing your attention on his all-round play for a few minutes next time he plays and hopefully some will realise what he contributes to the side.

Would never drop Clarke, he has been our best defender so far this season, if it wasn't for him we would be down the bottom.

I think it has become abundantly clear that we need a decent striker. The loss of Clarke (L) has really hurt us since his arrival. I dont think that is Tillys fault as he can only make the best of what we have. The only thing is I am not sure why he resists in not picking Charlie Mac. I am guessing its because of fitness (he has been injured) and perhaps what he sees in training.

It will be interesting to see if Leon can continue his form upon his return which I believe is this Wednesday.

I've dropped Francis through no fault of his own, he just wouldn't fit into the system, Clarke for Richards as i feel height is imperative against Cadamateri and the other Huddersfield strikers and Maher as he hasn't played as well as Bailey or Macca lately and theres no room for another centre midfielder.

Thoughts?

Thoughts ? Cadamarteri is quite short. As are Jevons and Beckett. Veteran Booth will be the main aerial threat.

I don't think anyone on here does't understand why Tilly includes Matt Harrold - We know his role in the team is that of target man, or a similar role to that, but that doesn't alter the fact he isn't very good at that role, or one of a goalscorer.

That said, I have no interest in focusing this on Matt Harrold - I don't have a problem with Tilly trying to change things round, I don't think anyone does, we are out of form at the moment, and so why not? I think what people are upset about is we went to Oxford, a mid table Conference side, with a negative formation (contrary to what Brushy said, IT IS negative), and as if to hammer home the point, played without a recognised striker.

Historically, 3-5-2 doesnt bring long term success, but it doesn't stand a chance when you are not playing without a striker, and so yes, people are right to pass comment on what was a pretty desperate performance.

Your idea of playing Morgan on the right is not the worst I have ever seen, would give us pace, and would mean that the rest of the midfield would be able to play in their recognised positions, as opposed to Saturday when most players were playing out of position. My only change to your team would be MacDonald for Harrold and Clarke for Richards - Clarke has done nothing wrong this season, he has been almost rock like, and certainly doesn't deserve to be dropped. If your argument is based on adding more height to the backline, then personally I would drop Barrett, in favour of Richards, or even Hammell and put AB at left back.

Wednesday is going to be a tough game though, Hudderfield have hit a run of form at the moment, and have 2 recognised goalscorers in Jevon's and Beckett up front. They have been hit and miss this season, but I have a horrible feeling they may do a number on us this week.

Wednesday is going to be a tough game though, Hudderfield have hit a run of form at the moment, and have 2 recognised goalscorers in Jevon's and Beckett up front. They have been hit and miss this season, but I have a horrible feeling they may do a number on us this week.

Echo that, I'm afraid. SUFC 1 - HTFC 3 :(

Leons back in the side though isnt he for Wednesday?

Hopefully he and Deano can get a partnership or even Charlie Mac. I hope we have a team with a decent positive formation and without too many playing out of their normal position. If that happens then I fear we are done for.....lets hope Sat taught the management something.

personally i want to see

collis

francis
barrett
richards
hammell

bailey
macca
gower

macdonald
leon
morgan

however huddersfield is a big match and so not worth the risk in yet another formation

my team for Wednesday would be

collis
hunt-clarke-barrett-hammell
Morgan-bailey-macca-gower
Clarke-Macdonald

from what i have seen of morgan he doesnt look like a striker and as he said he prefers running at players so i would try him on the wing,
harrold and hooper have been given a chance and after the performance at luton neither of them deserves to be in the side.
i think its time for charlie to be given a run out.
we need bailey and macca in the middle, i dont think anyone can question that, when maher is in the middle of them they dont seem to be as aggressive and attacking as they usually are.

I haven't seen Morgan play yet, is he an Andy Ansah type player ? If so, the team above sounds good to me.

The team Shrimper Dan suggests sounds good. MacDonald should get a chance to start a few games like Hooper has done - he can't do much worse!

Our strongest team looks like this

Collis
Hunt Clarke Richards Barrett

Macca Bailey Maher Gower

Leeeeon Morgan

.............IF they all perform,that will beat most teams in this div and put us back on a run.

HTML:

Collis

Macca Bailey Maher Gower

Leeeeon Morgan

I'd agree with that other than Clarke and Barrett centre half and Steve Hammell at left back.

We now badly need a win on Wednesday or I can see the wheels coming off our season.

Collis

Macca Bailey Maher Gower

Leeeeon Morgan

.............IF they all perform,that will beat most teams in this div and put us back on a run.

after watching us play against luton i dont want macca on the right, he spent 90% of the game in the centre, for most of the match i thought hunt was our only right sided player, macca and bailey have to be in the middle with a proper winger, as much as i love captain kev, macca and bailey have been a lot better. also if you were going to drop a defender i wouldnt drop hammell, his crossing and set piece taking in this league will cause people all sorts of problems

Back