• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Matt Harrold - some stats

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
I think Matt Harrold was a really good signing. I don't see him as a 90 minute player, nor a regular starter (at least not at this stage of his career), but I think he's an excellent player to be able to bring off the bench, and you need players who can do that.

His height and aerial ability add an extra dimension to our play which is handy when we get desperate and start launching it and on more than once occasion this season he's caused panic in the opposition defence.

Whilst defending a lead he wins lots in the air, has a decent touch and is relatively mobile, which means the ball doesn't come straight back at us. His added height at set pieces also makes us defensively more secure.

The stats back this up. He has made 18 sub appearances this season.

Out of those, in every game in which we were winning (5 out of those 18) we held onto our lead, didn't concede and in one game we stretched our lead further (by 2 goals). Job done and no further comment needed.

In 11 games we were trailing.

In 7 of those we were trailing by a single goal:

Against West Brom in 18 minutes he scored the equaliser as we went from 0-1 to 1-1
Against Stoke in 10 minutes we went from 0-1 to 1-1
Against Leicester he only played 4 minutes but set up McCormack's equaliser for 2-2
18 minutes against Leeds from 0-1 to 0-2
5 minutes agaisnt Wolves, already losing 0-1
8 minutes against Derby, already losing 0-1
11 minutes against Palace already losing 0-1

So he rescued a point when one goal down in 3 out of 7 chances, a pretty good return for a total of just 74 minutes action!

In four of those games, we were losing by two or more goals:

Against Norwich in 26 minutes he inspired a comeback from 3-1 down to 3-3
Against Spurs in 22 minutes he won us the penalty to get it back to 1-2, although Spurs later scored again
21 minutes against Sunderland, game already over, was losing 0-2 lost 0-4
29 minutes against Birmingham, game already over losing 0-3 to 0-4

So out of 4 games in which we trailed by 2 goals, he inspired us to a point in one game, and got us back into a second game. I'd say that was a pretty impressive return as well.

His other sub appearances were
7 minutes on debut against Sheff Wed, couldn't break a 0-0 deadlock
10 minutes against Luton, drew 0-0 but Freddy hit the post in the dying seconds for what would have been a massive win

All in all, I'd say that was an exceptional return from a substitute in a struggling team. I'm not sure what more you could expect from a sub.
Use him as an impact player and he does an excellent job.

Very interesting. Surprised with the stats to be honest. I thought his done okay, but the stats prove his done quite well considering the lack of football his played for us.

For those who are dubious about value of those statistics, I also explained why I think Harrold is a good player and if you think he is rubbish I'd be interested to know why because I think he is a decent young player who has been performing a useful role for us this season.

So in 18 games where he has come on as a sub, we have scored 7 times (in 5 games) after his introduction (I think thats what those stats say) or 27.78% of the games he has been intoduced to we have gone on to score in.

As someone said you can make statistics do what ever you want

Matt harold will always be a legend in my eyes after he got me and a couple of mates into Stoke away for free lol.

And yeah he's not a bad squad player but that's about it IMO. But who knows next year.

The fact when Harrold is brought on we normally switch to 3 -4 -3 or 4-3-3 and play more attacking and direct has more bearing on what we achieve in those moments than the fact Harrold was the man brought on.

The thing the stats dont show is the chaos he often causes in the box. Take the Norwich game, Doherty looked comfortable at the back. Harrold comes on and hes all over the place. There have been numerous other games where composed defenders start holding his shirt, last night a guy elbowed him in the face.
I'm backing Harrold to score the goal that keeps us up.

The thing about last night was Tilly now has a bench that can affect a game. he bought on harold to be a nuisance, Foran to score the goal and bringing Sam on the wing for JCR didn't weakend the side.

For the reset of the season every sub that has been made has weakened the side.

I'd agree with YB about Harold he is a decent impact player to have and at his age he can only really improve.

I think Matt Harrold was a really good signing. I don't see him as a 90 minute player, nor a regular starter (at least not at this stage of his career), but I think he's an excellent player to be able to bring off the bench, and you need players who can do that.

His height and aerial ability add an extra dimension to our play which is handy when we get desperate and start launching it and on more than once occasion this season he's caused panic in the opposition defence.

Whilst defending a lead he wins lots in the air, has a decent touch and is relatively mobile, which means the ball doesn't come straight back at us. His added height at set pieces also makes us defensively more secure.

The stats back this up. He has made 18 sub appearances this season.

Out of those, in every game in which we were winning (5 out of those 18) we held onto our lead, didn't concede and in one game we stretched our lead further (by 2 goals). Job done and no further comment needed.

In 11 games we were trailing.

In 7 of those we were trailing by a single goal:

Against West Brom in 18 minutes he scored the equaliser as we went from 0-1 to 1-1
Against Stoke in 10 minutes we went from 0-1 to 1-1
Against Leicester he only played 4 minutes but set up McCormack's equaliser for 2-2
18 minutes against Leeds from 0-1 to 0-2
5 minutes agaisnt Wolves, already losing 0-1
8 minutes against Derby, already losing 0-1
11 minutes against Palace already losing 0-1

So he rescued a point when one goal down in 3 out of 7 chances, a pretty good return for a total of just 74 minutes action!

In four of those games, we were losing by two or more goals:

Against Norwich in 26 minutes he inspired a comeback from 3-1 down to 3-3
Against Spurs in 22 minutes he won us the penalty to get it back to 1-2, although Spurs later scored again
21 minutes against Sunderland, game already over, was losing 0-2 lost 0-4
29 minutes against Birmingham, game already over losing 0-3 to 0-4

So out of 4 games in which we trailed by 2 goals, he inspired us to a point in one game, and got us back into a second game. I'd say that was a pretty impressive return as well.

His other sub appearances were
7 minutes on debut against Sheff Wed, couldn't break a 0-0 deadlock
10 minutes against Luton, drew 0-0 but Freddy hit the post in the dying seconds for what would have been a massive win

All in all, I'd say that was an exceptional return from a substitute in a struggling team. I'm not sure what more you could expect from a sub.
Use him as an impact player and he does an excellent job.

looks like mich cole cv and look what happend to Him

I do not think Harrold is a bad player at all. He is still very young and improving all the time. 90 mins is maybe not the role he should have at the moment, but I am sure Tilly knows what he is doing and as a late replacement in the game he does give opposing defenders something else to think about. One for the future I think.

Cole at the end of last season was superb coming on from the bench for the last 15 minutes.

Harrold has done the same on a number of occassions. He wasnt bought for full time first team duties but have to admit he is doing well as a late sub impact player!

Cole at the end of last season was superb coming on from the bench for the last 15 minutes.

Harrold has done the same on a number of occassions. He wasnt bought for full time first team duties but have to admit he is doing well as a late sub impact player!

I always thought Cole had a lot of potential from the bench, and I always welcomed his introduction. However I don't recall him actually having that much of an impact.

Back