• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

"Legends"

loz

President
So, we've got 3 home games left, which if my maths are right gives us 6 more of those Southend 'legends' to look forward to.

Now in actuality, the majority of them are going to be right-halfs who signed for us from Chelmsford in 1949 and made 73 appearances, scoring 4 goals, before moving to Dagenham in 1952. However, which 6 would you, the Shrimperzone audience, like to see? You can either select on actual legend status, comedy value, bizarre personal fetish, or a mixture of the 3.

I'm going for:

Vs Col U:

Stan- a proper one, and would remind them that we've been in the Championship before.

Droooooooo- because he's awesome, and could recreate the LDV goal in front of the away end.

Vs Barnsley:

Paul Byrne- because i'd like to know if he's still alive/able to walk under his own power.

Roycey- to remind our players to shoot a lot in the second half if we need a win, say by 4 or 5 goals.

Vs Luton:

Andy Thomson- because he's Andy Thomson, the 'deadly assassin'

Mike Lapper- the nicest man in football, possibly the world.

Ideally, I would have wanted Rhys Weston down before the end of the season, but I suppose the fact that he never played for us might rule him out. Still scored my favourite Southend goal of all-time though... :hilarious:

Last edited:
Andy Ansah (ledgend end of)
Stan as above
Ricky otto (sometimes he was so bloody good I could have cried)

I thought we missed a trick against Palace. We should have had Peter Taylor and Leon Cort coming out at half-time - lo and behold no team talk, total confusion in the Palace ranks and a comfortable 3-0 victory.

Much as you've got to respect the legends from the 50s and 60s it would be nice to see a few better-known names out there for the last couple of games. Sammy was a nice touch, now lets get Ricky Otto out there!

Alan Moody should have been paraded a few weeks back, but cried off as he was ill and Tony Hadley subbed for him.

It was great to see Bobby Kellard & Peter Goy.

I would like to see some of the Div 4 winning team like Derek Spence & Mervyn Cawston. Plus Dave Smith & David Webb would be a good touch.

Collymore & Chris Powell (playing commitments aside) would be a nice touch.

I would like to see Willie Coulson and Micky Stead, just to see how fat they got once they stopped playing.

Seriously , Gary Moore and Terry Johnson

now we're reaching the end of the season I think the Club are struggling to get anyone!

I mean, David Crown and Danny O'Shea.......didn't exactly have to look or go far to get those 2 did they? lol

Surely the club must be able to wheel out some old timer who played 50 odd games for the shrimpers between 1953-56 before being transfered to Bedford Town.

Wonder who will be the Legend for the Luton game? Shame that Stanley hasn't come down, cause he is certainly too big of a legend at Southend to miss out!

Back