• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

palexander

Life President
Got back from the Carling Festival in Leeds today. Just went for Saturday and had a great time. First year I've been on my own, so I took advantage of the freedom to check out as many bands and stages as poss.

First up, a band I knew of but didnt pay much attention too - "Do Me Bad Things" - Think of the Darkness crossed with Erasure...

They were bloody great. 9 musicians in total and lots of 'crowd friendly' tunes and a confident style. I was well impressed and will be checking out some of there stuff now.

Next on, the late additions, "Goldie Lookin Chain"... I was big fans of GLC last year, but do admit that the joke wore thin. The big test then is if they can come back as good again for the 2nd album. Introduced by Collin Murray as "a bunch of c%&ts in tracksuits" 8 of the GLC bounded onto the stage. Usual GLC banter followed along with the hits - must admit that it was very funny!

The new songs sounded better than the 1st album, more professional if thats possible - and the lyrics had everyone in hysterics around me (it was around 1pm and not too many drunks/stoners at this stage!). The one that pleased the crowd the most was a new song that had the line in it "...if we split up now can I f%&k your sister, and your best friend" which was funny throughout.

Wasnt too fussed with the main stage now for another 3 hours (Elbow) so I went for a wander to check out some smaller bands. After reading through the programme, I thought that the "Dead 60's" sounded promising - and I was right! Sounding something like the Clash or the Specials but with more of a regae feel, the Dead 60's went down a storm. I didnt realise, but XFM friendly hit "Riot Radio" is by the Dead 60's so that was a pleasant suprise at the end of the set. Very impressive though and I reckon they will be big v.soon.

I then stumbled into the small Carling tent, where about 20 people were nodding along to some annonymous band. The crowd gradually grew to about 150, to witness a decent set from "The Cherubs" - a Norweigian/Brighton beat combo! Good humour from the front man who was proud to announce this song as 'our current single, which I am sure you all have?..." to much hilarity. Must be pretty soul-destroying playing infront of so few people, but they put on a good show.

Wandered in and out of a few other minor bands but wasnt that impressed - happier to check out the PYT's wandering around p%&sed
tounge.gif

Later, I watched Elbow do an excellent set - with a breathtaking finale. The new single "Forget Myself' ended with around a minutes worth of ticker-tape being fired into the air from the stage, which looked totally awesome - some bands that followed were even impressed.

The Coral were on next - never been a fan, but the radio-friendly stuff was very good and we all had a boogie (met up with my mates by then!).

Now, the moment I had been waiting for - The Queens Of The Stone Age! There seemed to be a problem with the audio at first, but to be honest it was so loud that it was probably my ears adjusting! Brilliant set from QOTSA - totally incredible and worth the ticket price alone for me. Shame they only got an hour, but for my first live QOTSA experience, I am not going to argue!

Next was The Killers. I quite like the Killers, but I wasnt too fussed about seeing them live... wow, i changed my mind fast! I though that QOTSA should have been on after the Killers, but I can see why they werent now. I have been to loads of gigs and festivals, but I dont think I've ever heard a crowd so into a band as they were for the Killers. Every song had the crowd (and me!) singing along in full voice. Everyone was dancing and screaming and being near the front it was an awesome experience. I am now a full Killers convert and would definately go to see them live again - "I GOT SOUL BY I'M NOT A SOLDIER!"

Lastly, a tricky toss-up between the Pixies (old skool heroes) or Kasabian, the new kids on the block. I really like the Pixies, but Kasabian are on such a high at the mo that I was torn. After watching the Dead 60's in a pretty packed tent, I could only imagine the chaos once Kasabian were in there, so I hedged my bets and went for the safe Pixies option.

By this time, my legs were f%&ked and I was not looking forward to trying to escape the car park with 60,000 other people, so I left about an hour into the Pixies, but what I saw was good. Walking back to the car park past the Kasabian set proved my decision correct. It was ridiculously rammed with people climbing on whatever they could to look over the thousands surrounding the tent.

So hey, I may not be as rock and roll as I used to be, but I was back in the hotel for the end of MOTD!

Heres to next year
biggrin.gif

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back