• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Lee Barnard?

RettendonCB

I may be merely repeating previous comments/threads but.. selling Barnard may cost us survival (despite committed performances from both Vernon and Patterson). Barnard's ability cannot be replaced and 150k? Surely relegation would see greater losses than 150k? Ok we may have gone at the end of the season on a free but as a professional had he not been sold I have no doubt he would have still contributed to the side?

I may be merely repeating previous comments/threads but.. selling Barnard may cost us survival (despite committed performances from both Vernon and Patterson). Barnard's ability cannot be replaced and 150k? Surely relegation would see greater losses than 150k? Ok we may have gone at the end of the season on a free but as a professional had he not been sold I have no doubt he would have still contributed to the side?

I said this countless times but nobody took the blindest bit of notice, in fact I was laughed at, glad someone else thinks the same as me.

I, on balance, was also against selling Barney but the issue was far more complicated than shall we sell him, or not. In the end I believe that it was more an issue of trying to keep a player who clearly DIDN'T WANT TO BE THERE. Had we held onto him, against his wishes, would he have performed with the same commitment? ......................I really don't know.........and we shall never know.
Barney has gone.........we have Peterson, who could turn out to be a very useful
player. Let's look forwards, not backwards...........live with it.

If we still can't pay our wages after we got thr cash for him IMO if we didn't sell him we would be in far more danger then relegation. We might stay up but would we even have a club by next season?

I think the issue may have been the player. Dont get me wrong I thought Barney displayed a first class attittude but if your stopping him from 1) playing for a bigger club 2) earning a higher wage for six months etc you may find he was not the same Barnard.

I think the lack of goals is a worry but least the club moved fast to replace him. I agree in the ideal world knowing what we know now we could have kept him but its easy to say that now.

I said this countless times but nobody took the blindest bit of notice, in fact I was laughed at, glad someone else thinks the same as me.

I didn't laugh at the statement but I must confess I thought it was an over-reaction. I did see the wisdom in cashing in on a player who would almost certainly leave on a free in the summer as I was confident we still had a side that could avoid relegation. It seems you may have a point but we wont know until may, I'm still confident we have the quality to pull clear of a relegation. March is a massive month for us though!!

I would say thats more down to our defending and some bad luck than anything else.

Our defence has been suspect all season - the difference was with a quality striker like Barney up front you were always in with a chance of him getting a goal, which he usually did.
Both Vernon, Laurent & Patterson have had numerous chances in recent games and have failed to take them.
Would like to see Scotty Spencer have a run in the side with either Vernon or Patterson, he looks hungry and knows where the goal is.

The problem was that Barnard found out there was interest in him and asked to leave. Fact is he was not interested in playing for us anymore. Makes it very difficult. I dont think anyone was happy about the money we got for him.

Am I the only one that worries that a Lee Barnard goal or two will send us down on the final day? That would just sum it up.

If we still can't pay our wages after we got thr cash for him IMO if we didn't sell him we would be in far more danger then relegation. We might stay up but would we even have a club by next season?

Exactly. When you combine this with the fact that the player wanted to go anyway we didn't really have any choice.

Seeing as we can't pay our players at the moment I assume we needed the money asap and it was the best short term option.

Last edited:
The problem was that Barnard found out there was interest in him and asked to leave. Fact is he was not interested in playing for us anymore. Makes it very difficult. I dont think anyone was happy about the money we got for him.

I understand this and do agree, but a player with a decent brain on him could well have thought 'stick it out to the end of the season, play well, score a shed load more goals, get bigger clubs interested, leave for a free at the end of the season, move to a bigger club, earn more wages'

Win - Win situation.

Barney has a bigger club, we stay in L1.

Yes, many say the £150k at the time helped us avoid admin, but that was £2.1M owed to HMRC. Was the £150k from Barneys the thing that saved us? I really don't think so.

Scored once again, this time v brighton

:clap:

Continuing his record of scoring every time he plays at the Withdean. That's eight goals in ten games for Barney now. And to think he was worried he would find it hard to get back in the Saints team:

Southern Daily Echo

Saints OS

The Saints players have been talking this week about winning all of their remaining games and Rickie Lambert about scoring in every one, in order to make a late charge into the play-offs. Let's hope they have a few more setbacks like tonight then and are left with nothing to play for on 8 May.

Back