• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Last night's game Commentary

How much are these people getting paid.. I’m assuming south of not very much. To expect them to research the pronunciation of modern footballers names is a tad harsh . At least there is someone on the wireless telling you the score. The glory days of decent essex radio commentary are over . Yet another thing we all took for granted, untill it’s gone
I would have thought that was one of the first things you do, unless you want to be known as the prat who cant announce the names right?

I get its amateur but surely for your own professional pride you'd do a bit of homework on google....

I was at the game last night and I only briefly heard Victoria Polley interviewing April after the match. From what I could hear (the reception was not good), it sounded like April knows her stuff and she deserves her chance.
I just think that if she was working alongside somewhat experienced like Alliker or Speller, she would learn such a lot and that would really benefit her in the long term.
It is the knowledge they have that is so invaluable, something that respectfully, neither Stuart Smith or Ben Friar have.

I thought both BBC Essex commentators were awful last night. Sounded like I was listening to two random people having a chat about a game of football where two teams were playing who’d they hardly knew.

No clear description of what was happening, where the ball was, the types of play and balls being passed. The mispronunciation of names as the chap glanced at his piece of paper to work out who had the ball rather than actually know the team he was commentating on.

Disappointing after years of high quality production and hosting at BBC Essex. At least it can only get better. The only positive is that the lass certainly knew her stuff, I just felt they didn’t click as a duo.

Great and good luck to you, but by your very definition it’s going to be ‘amateur’. Unlike the very professional coverage we have been used to for years.. covering Southend, Col U and all local non league action. I could be in my car listening to the Southend game and I would know how canvey, heybridge, Chelmsford the lot were getting on. With live updates from those grounds after a goal or event , post match chat , league positions etc. I wasn’t to fussed if speller mis pronounced a multi hyphenated surname
I don't disagree that it's a shame the BBC is hit by financial cuts, but amateur, and what that suggests?
How about inexperienced, if we're talking our friends at Wealdstone?
As for me, been doing it for 20 years off and on.
PM me and I'll send a link to my sports show and you can tell me whether amateur or not.

Back