• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Last night's game Commentary

northlincsshrimper1

.Essex Exile⭐
I listened to last night's commentary and I was pulling out what is left of my hair! Every pass or play was over analysis to such a degree, that the whole commentary was disjointed and fractured. There were times when I did not know if the ball was by the corner flag, in the centre circle or over the stand. The whole commentary had no flow and the awful quality of the game plus the inane comments added to the sheer appalling standard of the commentary.
Is this the best BBC Essex can offer? I now appreciate better the past commentors.

They probably weren't helped by the fact the first half was a pretty bad game, by all accounts. You have to say something and it can feel like you are just repeating yourself and being very boring if you only give very factual information about what pass has gone astray.

And once you get into a rhythm, even a bad one, its hard to break.

I am sure they learnt from it

The NLTV commentators were pretty dire too. Waffled all night about random Wealdstone-related trivialities, couldn’t pronounce any names (even the easy ones) and need to redo their impartiality training.

It all went quiet for about 3 minutes at one point while one of them googled a bit of trivia (whether Collin had come through our youth ranks). That was the best 3 minutes all night - apart from when Walker scored.

The NLTV commentators were pretty dire too. Waffled all night about random Wealdstone-related trivialities, couldn’t pronounce any names (even the easy ones) and need to redo their impartiality training.

It all went quiet for about 3 minutes at one point while one of them googled a bit of trivia (whether Collin had come through our youth ranks). That was the best 3 minutes all night - apart from when Walker scored.

Oh I don’t think they were that bad. I’m assuming they’re not professional radio commentators. They did get a bit excited - to say the least - when Wealdstone scored but I’ll give them that. Any time someone criticises radio commentators, I always think we could be handed with Neil Kelly. (Think about it!)

So who was he? Does he have a name? I expect the commentators were no more than 20 ft above the ground with a crap view. Doesn’t everyone get a crap view at Wealdstone ? Putting a radio commentary out with a tv picture isn’t the best.

The best commentators will always move on - Mark Pougatch started on BBC Essex. Robin Chipperfield. I reckon Glenn Speller has moved up the ladder too.

BBC local radio’s budgets are getting squeezed every year - we’re probably lucky that they still provide commentary to non league football.

I started out with the Wealdstone commentators but after about ten minutes decided they were not actually giving commentary. They seemed to be two mates who were supporters of the home club just chatting away as they would standing on the terraces. So, I muted the stream commentary and changed to the BBC Essex one and managed to just about synchronise the video stream with it. I had not heard commentator Pete Morris before. He was at least attempting commentary and it isn't an easy job in my opinion, but I think he needs to improve his skills if he is to continue and maybe that will come with more experience.

I thought April's input was very good, she clearly knows her stuff and bailed out commentator Pete on one or two occasions. Very well done and I hope we hear more from her.

Losing Nick Alliker was not going to be recoverable.
The line I hear being pushed was that he had tired of travelling long distances to away games.
I too agree it would be good having April in a summarising role.
Nick was a truly brilliant radio commentator. The trouble is that we were spoiled for 30 years with him doing it. So, SO much better than other BBC local radio commentators. It would have been difficult to find anyone to fill his shoes adequately.

And I am pretty sure it was Nick's decision to call it a day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back