• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Last Minute Goals ... Most Important ??

BLUEBLOOD

Moderator of Moderators
We seem to have developed this knack of last minute goals, which proves to me the spirit and desire in the camp is still spot on, contrary to what some people will have us believe.

All these goals have meant something (obviously) but what has been your favourite, and what do you feel has been the most important ... i would've added a poll but with two questions in one it might've got a bit messy

Lets take a look back at the goals, with a bit of insight of what it meant at the time, and what it could mean longer term

Christophe vs AFC Telford ... Saved us from an embarrassing exit to a side 3 divisions below us, and set up the Chelsea matches ... but if we'd gone out we might of kept more of an eye on the league through Dec / Jan and still been in with a shout of the play-offs

Christophe vs Col Ewe ... arguably the goal that has made the least impact as Chelsea hadn't entered our thoughts, and we were not doing too badly league wise ... but it was against the sheep fanciers so is priceless for that fact alone

Stanislas vs Northampton ... gave us our most recent 3 point haul, boy do we need another set of 3 on Saturday

Clarke vs Chelsea ... The goal that got all the headlines, adding a few bob to the coffers in the process, but again it took our eye off the league, i think we slipped 8 places after beating Luton and finally being put away by Chelsea ... But it was against a side that will challenge for the league title this year, and will be in the champions league next season and are one of the wealthiest clubs on the planet

Walker vs The Ooze ... I can still picture him cutting past that last challenge and rifling the ball into the back of the net !!!!!! We are obviously short on confidence at the moment and to lose to The SadOs (who were frankly **** poor) would've been a hammer blow, HOPEFULLY this goal will lead to a good run of form

I'm going way, way back for this one- think it was Easter Monday '88, away to Aldershot & 'the Football League is upside down, we're going up with York City' (& Donny Rovers, with the 'Shots down there too), when Sir David Crown scrambles the ball over the line in a goalmouth melee. 1-0 to the Seasiders, game over...get in!!

I'm going way, way back for this one- think it was Easter Monday '88, away to Aldershot & 'the Football League is upside down, we're going up with York City' (& Donny Rovers, with the 'Shots down there too), when Sir David Crown scrambles the ball over the line in a goalmouth melee. 1-0 to the Seasiders, game over...get in!!

Ah i remember it well (ish) .. however, i was referring to the goals we'd scored this season and their relevance (thanks for your input though :))

Ah i remember it well (ish) .. however, i was referring to the goals we'd scored this season and their relevance (thanks for your input though :))

Fair play- problem with us old geezers is our memories are better for what happened back in the day. Never heard of any of these games/players you mentioned...

It'd be Northampton for me. A vital 3 points, a deserved home win against an ordinary Northampton and a huge sense of relief when it went in. One of the few matches I can remember where justice was done...

Obviously Clarkes was pretty special too, but I think I celebrated that winner against Northampton more than any other goal I've ever seen go in.

I'd probably say the most important of these was Walker's last night. A defeat to Borient would have boosted their morale and damaged ours. Also it put a stop to 4 straight away league defeats... although I'm not too hopeful about our next away game to be honest!

Proof, if anything, that having a sports scientist on board that get's the players active for 95 minutes instead of 85 really can pay off.

Walker's last night, had we lost against a very poor team, although we were poor ourselves, we would have been right in the mix.

It's good that we have scored a few late goals this year and we're keeping going right til the end.

Well, Junior's v Northampton got us 3 points, instead of 1, so come the judgement day in May, they will stand us in better stead than the 1 last night. Or will JFC & Clarkey's Cup goals ultimately help (with the monies received from the TV replay) to get in new players in the next week or so (optimistically thinking)? But yeah, psychologically, Jimmy Jimmy's one last night could be the most important, a) for what it prevented in the here & now & b) for the lad's confidence now that Tilly may be forced to pick him as a result of the latest injuries up front. Let's hope it's the latter...

Kevin mahers at Preston 2 years ago 2-1 down with 2 minutes to go and we won 3-2. One of the best away days ever.
This season has to be Peter Clarkes at Chelsea. How great did that feel drawing at a Big 4 club.

1976 F.A cup 4th rd home to Cardiff, Peter Sylvesters last minute winner which gave cue to going to league champions Derby in the 5th round, and a massive ruck with hundreds of disgruntled taffs in the club car park.

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back