• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Jon Benton joins Aveley

He was going any way, was never going to get in the first team not even the bench in my opinion.
I think this is probably true. He was behind Oli Coker in the pecking order and Coker is two years younger, I think.

He couldn’t sign whilst we were under embargo and once the embargo is lifted we’re probably looking for better (or at least more ready) players so either way he’s lose out. I wish him well but at 22 he really needs to be playing first team football.

JON Benton has returned to Aveley on a permanent basis.

The attacking midfielder impressed while on loan with the Millers during the 2021/22 season.

And the 22-year-old has now opted to head back to Parkside.
Benton came through the youth ranks at Southend United and made six senior appearances for the Shrimpers.

However, Blues were unable to trigger a clause in Benton’s contract due to their transfer embargo and he has now opted to rejoin the Millers who will be lining up in National League South this season after winning back to back promotions.

One I would have wanted to stay, but with Aveley now in the NLS it's the perfect level for him at a club he is well thought of at. As others have said, Coker and Wood are the ones looking to push on this year, so game time could have again been limited.

Last edited:
We've 14 players and according to Chris's report wanted to exercise the additional year in his contract. Jon's tweet just now implies the same. Whether other players would have been ahead of him or not he's a player we'd planned to keep that the embargo has prevented.

We've 14 players and according to Chris's report wanted to exercise the additional year in his contract. Jon's tweet just now implies the same. Whether other players would have been ahead of him or not he's a player we'd planned to keep that the embargo has prevented.
I think all/most the players that have left have had something similar to ..... 'the situation at Southend prevents contract extension/renewal/discussions '. I think it's just polite way of saying released

I think all/most the players that have left have had something similar to ..... 'the situation at Southend prevents contract extension/renewal/discussions '. I think it's just polite way of saying released
I’d have thought he’d have joined Aveley earlier if he didn’t think he was going to be retained.

Good luck to him. I still think he has a good future in the game. He needs to play in order to prove his worth.

Would not be surprised to see him playing national League or EFL in the next few seasons.

I’m disappointed for us as I think Jon could make a good career in league football but it’s a great move for him at a club he knows well in the NLS.

It wouldn’t surprise me at all if he fits the bill of the type of player we look to sign in 12 months, being one of the stand outs in that league. Sadly didn’t quite seem to fit for him here in our system, as Mooney equally has found out.

I’d have thought he’d have joined Aveley earlier if he didn’t think he was going to be retained.
Could be a sign that better players are on the way.

Good move Jon as he was their POTS when he was at Aveley. Last season he was the only player in our squad who could put some back spin on a through ball but overall didn't look like he would be getting much game time for the first team at this stage.

If anyone wants to see good example of why forwards benefit from backspin, then watch how and why Chesterfield won that early penalty in last seasons play-off final.

Back