• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Jamal Blackman

Transfer news
Wondered what peoples thought are on Jamal Blackman.

He is currently a free agent having been released from Burton Albion in the summer. I would imagine that he is still London based as he has played for a charity team playing out of Haringey Borough in North London yesterday.

Given that Colin is growing as a player, it would do well do have a player of Blackmans quality in to help push him/ provide a better consistency and quality from the GK position.

Biggest issue I can see is maybe out of our budget??

I think we're back in the old routine of looking at players who are on the way down the pyramid, and thinking what good signings they'd be 'at this level'. As such we have Bonne & Moncur instead of Cardwell & Fonguck. And yes - both are technically better - but are they more effective 'at this level'?

Hillson going gives the opportunity to get a different keeper in on a loan basis, and hence take Collin out of the heat for a month or so. He's a good keeper at this level - we saw if last season - so he'll re-find his mojo in time. There will be plenty of keepers available for loan - there always are. The option will be there is Kev & Co think they want to take it.

I think we're back in the old routine of looking at players who are on the way down the pyramid, and thinking what good signings they'd be 'at this level'. As such we have Bonne & Moncur instead of Cardwell & Fonguck. And yes - both are technically better - but are they more effective 'at this level'?

Hillson going gives the opportunity to get a different keeper in on a loan basis, and hence take Collin out of the heat for a month or so. He's a good keeper at this level - we saw if last season - so he'll re-find his mojo in time. There will be plenty of keepers available for loan - there always are. The option will be there is Kev & Co think they want to take it.
I wouldn't say a 30 y/o keeper is on their way down personally. I would see it as an opportunity to provide quality competition to Colin, to continue to develop him whilst having someone who has in excess of 40 professional clean sheets, international experience and someone who's personal standards, you would imagine, to be very high.

Colin has been great and has just been named GK of the week by Vanerama, so he is no slouch, but I would say alongside some goals and stability at the back, it is one of our weakest positions, especially in terms of depth now Hillson has gone.

Dangers with loans is they get recalled or plucked to play higher and we are back to square 1. Hence my thought process. However, I would be interested in who else we could bring in either loan or perm/non contract.

Problem is, for a 30 year old, he hasn't played that many games. His longest stint was at Sheffield United.
Still spent about 10 years in the Chelsea system and has played those games at a higher level too. Former youth international.

The club maybe have already spoken to him previously and no agreement was made for one reason or another. I don't know, but if I was in charge I would be on the phone inviting him down to have a chat and meet the lads.

I wouldn't say a 30 y/o keeper is on their way down personally. I would see it as an opportunity to provide quality competition to Colin, to continue to develop him whilst having someone who has in excess of 40 professional clean sheets, international experience and someone who's personal standards, you would imagine, to be very high.

Colin has been great and has just been named GK of the week by Vanerama, so he is no slouch, but I would say alongside some goals and stability at the back, it is one of our weakest positions, especially in terms of depth now Hillson has gone.

Dangers with loans is they get recalled or plucked to play higher and we are back to square 1. Hence my thought process. However, I would be interested in who else we could bring in either loan or perm/non contract.
Chelsea to Huddersfield to Exeter to Burton to National League seems to be heading down to me.

But I’m in the minority as I’d rather back Collin who remains an above average keeper for this level and if he can develop further he has the potential to earn us a significant transfer fee.

Well his career seems somewhat of an engima, 12 years a pro with Chelsea without a 1st team appearance, multiple loans, some just to be back up to the 1st choice keeper.
1st choice at Wycombe, Rotherham, Sheffield and Exeter all as a loan from Chelsea, also had 10 games for Bristol Rovers as injury cover for our current Goalkeeping coach. Seems to have made a career, undoubtedly well paid, as a backup keeper, although at decent level it has to be said.
Would he be a good choice to support Collin, supposing he was even affordable to us and contest the number one spot? On paper perhaps but you have to question if he would mentally buy in to what the NL and a Club like ours is all about.

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back