• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

It could be worse

I went along to Stonebridge Road this afternoon, and poor old York City. It's now something like 23 defeats from 24 games and they never looked like threatening against a Gravesend & Northfleet side who could have inflicted much more damage than the 4-0 defeat suggested.

They are now simply side made up from youngsters and old pro's who can no longer find a club.

They say it's difficult to get out of a downward spiral, and boy do they have a task on their hands at Bootham Crescent!

Carlisle, on the other hand, crashed into a 5-0 half time lead before eventually slamming 7 past Farnborough

I went to Prem game today for change - Tottenham. Nice to see a good game of football for once, But back to Roots Hall on Monday.
biggrin.gif

I was thinking about York today from a different perspective...

So early in the season, much can change.
Weren't York one of last season's early pace-setters before their slump?
If we can turn the corner, we'll still go up as champions. (Okay, perhaps not).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (South Bank Hank @ Aug. 28 2004,21:41)]I was thinking about York today from a different perspective...

So early in the season, much can change.
Weren't York one of last season's early pace-setters before their slump?
If we can turn the corner, we'll still go up as champions.  (Okay, perhaps not).
Yep, this time last year (after five games), they had won four and only just lost their first match, having recorded the club's best ever start to a League season (12 points from 12) with a 2-0 win over Blues at Bootham Crescent.

However, this afternoon against Gravesend they were totally outclassed, and had the look of a side that are resigned to a relegation struggle already. Many of their players are youngsters who suffered the igmony of a pathetic end-of-season run-in and have never experienced success, and they looked unsure of what to do.

Others, experienced pros like Kevin Donovan, Paul Groves and Lee Nogan, are well past their best and are unable to influence a game like they used to. Nogan wouldn't even score against us now!

I genuinely hope they recover, as they are a club run by the fans, and they are also steeped in history. It remains to be seen, though, whether they can sustain the poor football that they are at the moment.

I went to Dagenham V Woking today. What an absolute stinker of a game it was as well. No quality whatsoever, just aimless lumps into the air from both sides. Poor old Ian Selley was one of the only players to actually try and make an attempt at playing football.

The most entertainment was the mass grappling match between the 2 teams after 70 minutes or so, resulting in 2 sendings off. Somehow the Ivory Coast midfielder that Woking have got, managed to avoid any card whatsoever after getting into a scuffle with the Dagenham manager John Still!

Interestingly though, they seem to be really worried down there that they're going to lose their star striker Chris Moore to either us (?!) or Hibernian. He scored again today which makes it 14 in 24 games since they plucked him from Northwood. He looked quite lightweight, and didn't really have a sniff, apart from 1 chance, and he made no mistake with it at all.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy_S @ Aug. 28 2004,22:28)]Interestingly though, they seem to be really worried down there that they're going to lose their star striker Chris Moore to either us (?!) or Hibernian. He scored again today which makes it 14 in 24 games since they plucked him from Northwood. He looked quite lightweight, and didn't really have a sniff, apart from 1 chance, and he made no mistake with it at all.
Presume it's the same, one-time Newcastle United attacker who had two reserve games with us in 2002/3 against Millwall and Cambridge United, and impressed in both. That would explain our link - Rob Newman was willing to offer him a three-month deal, but Moore turned it down, citing long-term job security as his major reason.

Pretty certain that was a different Chris Moore, wasn't he a lighting quick winger?

This one started off as a trainee at Brentford before dropping into Non-League with Hendon, Uxbridge and Northwood.

Although you're the mind of all knowledge, so I might be wrong!
tounge.gif

30 Aug 2003

1 Swansea City 5 3 0 0 11 3 1 0 1 4 6 4 0 1 15 9 12 6
2 York City 5 2 0 0 3 0 2 0 1 3 4 4 0 1 6 4 12 2
3 Oxford United 5 2 0 0 5 1 1 2 0 3 2 3 2 0 8 3 11 5
4 Hull City 5 2 1 0 9 5 1 0 1 3 2 3 1 1 12 7 10 5
5 Northampton Town 5 2 0 1 2 1 1 0 1 2 1 3 0 2 4 2 9 2

08 May 2004

20 Macclesfield Town 46 8 9 6 28 25 5 4 14 26 44 13 13 20 54 69 52 -15
21 Rochdale 46 7 8 8 28 26 5 6 12 21 32 12 14 20 49 58 50 -9
22 Sc**thorpe United 46 7 10 6 36 27 4 6 13 33 45 11 16 19 69 72 49 -3
23 Carlisle United 46 8 5 10 23 27 4 4 15 23 42 12 9 25 46 69 45 -23
24 York City 46 7 6 10 22 29 3 8 12 13 37 10 14 22 35 66 44 -31

By contrast, Lincoln City had amassed just 4 points by the end of August 2003 but hauled themselves into play-off spot come the following May ... so there is still some hope ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy_S @ Aug. 28 2004,22:38)]Pretty certain that was a different Chris Moore, wasn't he a lighting quick winger?

This one started off as a trainee at Brentford before dropping into Non-League with Hendon, Uxbridge and Northwood.

tounge.gif
Different Chris Moore's, you're right. There was another one playing in Gravesend's back four today as well - 'three Chrissy Moore's, there's only three Chrissy Moore's!' (cue an entire lost of Chris Moore's now!).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy_S @ Aug. 28 2004,22:28)]I went to Dagenham V Woking today. What an absolute stinker of a game it was as well. No quality whatsoever, just aimless lumps into the air from both sides. Poor old Ian Selley was one of the only players to actually try and make an attempt at playing football.

The most entertainment was the mass grappling match between the 2 teams after 70 minutes or so, resulting in 2 sendings off. Somehow the Ivory Coast midfielder that Woking have got, managed to avoid any card whatsoever after getting into a scuffle with the Dagenham manager John Still!

Interestingly though, they seem to be really worried down there that they're going to lose their star striker Chris Moore to either us (?!) or Hibernian. He scored again today which makes it 14 in 24 games since they plucked him from Northwood. He looked quite lightweight, and didn't really have a sniff, apart from 1 chance, and he made no mistake with it at all.
I thought it was the same Chis Moore we had on trial! Wondered what happened to him then!

What do you mean "it could be worse"? It IS worse! The wife's run off with another bloke, she's been given the house and the kids, AND she expects me to pay maintenance for our two cats as well!

On a positive note, I'm now free of the old bag and I'll be moving much nearer to Roots Hall in a few weeks' time.

AND the Shrimpers will begin their climb up the League 2 table, starting tomorrow with a good performance and a win against the early pacesetters, Macclesfield Town.

Keep the faith! Up the Shrimpers!!

Yes, I drink alcohol this early on a Sunday morning!  
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Exiled Shrimper @ Aug. 28 2004,22:54)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy_S @ Aug. 28 2004,22:38)]Pretty certain that was a different Chris Moore, wasn't he a lighting quick winger?

tounge.gif
Different Chris Moore's, you're right. There was another one playing in Gravesend's back four today as well - 'three Chrissy Moore's, there's only three Chrissy Moore's!' (cue an entire lost of Chris Moore's now!).
Don't worry about Chris Moore , we should sign his cousin Score-alot Moore !

Do feel sorry for York, worked so hard to get the club and the ground under the fans control then go to the conference after a dreadfull run and now look like facing a fight to stay there ...

BTW, I went along to Brentford (On Saturday) seing as i was in the area and it was really cheap to get in £3 for kids and £13 for adults, they won 3-0 and whils't stockport were truly dire, Brentford really had a great team spirit, they battled hard and shut Stockport down, they wernt particually good at all but they finished there chances and battled in defence, wasn't pretty football infact the total oppersite but it was affective. If only our forwards could put the chances away ...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Sep. 02 2004,17:53)]BTW, I went along to Brentford (On Saturday) seing as i was in the area and it was really cheap to get in £3 for kids and £13 for adults...

If only our forwards could put the chances away ...
If only we had Deon Burton, Isaiah Rankin and John Salako up front, you mean!!

Incidentally, Brentford are big dark horses in that division... great forwards, and in Martin Allen a top young manager.

Still, Luke - you're not comparing like with like... Brentford still has terraces, so can afford to keep prices down.

We don't, so we can't.

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Sep. 02 2004,17:07)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Sep. 02 2004,17:53)]BTW, I went along to Brentford (On Saturday) seing as i was in the area and it was really cheap to get in £3 for kids and £13 for adults...

If only our forwards could put the chances away ...
If only we had Deon Burton, Isaiah Rankin and John Salako up front, you mean!!

Incidentally, Brentford are big dark horses in that division
very colourful, considering the players you mentioned.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Sep. 02 2004,17:53)]I went along to Brentford (On Saturday) seing as i was in the area and it was really cheap to get in £3 for kids and £13 for adults ...
Yes, but Luke ... ** cough ** ... it's only £11.50 for adults and £2 for kids in the West Stand Family Enclosure.

Man, you really are obsessive with admission prices ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Sep. 02 2004,18:07)]Still, Luke - you're not comparing like with like... Brentford still has terraces, so can afford to keep prices down.

We don't, so we can't.
Exactly. And this is something Luke seems to forget ... IIRC Roots Hall is one of only eight all-seater grounds in League Two so it's no wonder we charge higher admission prices ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Sep. 02 2004,19:40)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Sep. 02 2004,18:07)]Still, Luke - you're not comparing like with like... Brentford still has terraces, so can afford to keep prices down.

We don't, so we can't.
Exactly. And this is something Luke seems to forget ... IIRC Roots Hall is one of only eight all-seater grounds in League Two so it's no wonder we charge higher admission prices ...

WS
A thinly veiled attempt by FM to resurrect an old and boring argument he whimpered out of a while back.

"See... see... I went to watch Brentford, a club in a higher league than us... and all because I was in the area and it was cheap. NeeeeeEEEEEeeeeeer!"

Pathetic. And still, the arguement doesn't hold water.

I bet I know who FM's favourite Dickens character is.

Clue: He was haunted by 3 ghosts.

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Sep. 02 2004,18:38)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ Sep. 02 2004,17:53)]I went along to Brentford (On Saturday) seing as i was in the area and it was really cheap to get in £3 for kids and £13 for adults ...
Yes, but Luke ... ** cough ** ... it's only £11.50 for adults and £2 for kids in the West Stand Family Enclosure.

Man, you really are obsessive with admission prices ...

WS
Believe me Mike, i certainly didn't go for 'cheap' football i was in Middlesex and saw Brentford were at home and checked them out with a friend, it was also affordable which is obviously handy !

I wasn't comparing the prices thats been done but more the team, Brentford have huge debts themselfs and don't have the biggest of budgets at all but even that aside, what impressed me was the way they battled and shut people down but perhaps more crucial they finished there chances.

Oh and in terms of a match day experence, football aside, Id give RH a big tick compared with Brentford.

Back