• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

"It's a team close to my heart"

Matt the Shrimp

aka Harry Potter
Blimey... Scriv has made an almost instant impact.  Suddenly, there are at least 2-3 interesting stories a day; whereas before, you were lucky if there was one interesting piece a week.

You can read The Eagle's interview with SUFC on the official website...

Also enjoyed the Geoff King article... reminded me of what a blunt and aggressive bugger he is!  He has none of Ron's PR smoothness, that's for sure!

biggrin.gif

Matt

It's odd - I find myself checking the main site a few times a day, rather than once in a blue moon, or when someone posts a link on here!  It is a huge improvement, the man has done wonders!

Did like the fact the interview with Mr King started out with the words  "Your ever improving Official web site"  
biggrin.gif

By the way, here's the article, reproduced with the kind permission of the Southend United Official Club Site, whose article it is - go to the site in order to check out the story on this page:

Andy Edwards - interview

= = = = = = =

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>"It's a team close to my heart"</span>

0,,10444~359330,00.jpg

Blues' new signing, defender Andy Edwards, caught up with the club's official web site today to talk of his joy at signing for Southend earlier this week.

32-year-old Edwards became Manager Steve Tilson's first signing of the close season on Monday as he begins to build what we all hope will be a promotion competing side. Edwards, back for his second stint with the Blues having left in 1996 following seven years with the Essex side was delighted to have rejoined up with the club he started at as a 17-year-old.

<span style='color:blue'>"A number of things made me decide to sign",</span> said the former Peterborough United centre back. <span style='color:blue'>"Obviously the good times I've had at the club before was one of them, it's a team close to my heart, I was there seven years and that was a big factor. I've been talking to Steve Tilson now for a few weeks and I liked the sound of what he's trying to achieve here. I look forward to playing under him, he was a huge factor."</span>

Having been a professional for 15-years now Edwards has seen it all, and the knowledge of the game he's picked up in that time will put him in good stead for next season. <span style='color:blue'>"I bring a lot of experience to the team and I always give 100%, I'll hope I can help tighten things up at the back and help push the club back up the leagues where is belongs."</span>

Since departing Southend for a fee of £400,000, Edwards has played for Peterborough, Birmingham and Rushden and Diamonds making over 500 appearances combined.

<span style='color:blue'>"It's nice to get back home, I'm from Woodford Green so it's relatively close, having had to travel up and down the motorway in recent years it wasn't much fun, but that wasn't the main reason. My main reason was my love for the club."</span>

Looking ahead to next season the Epping born defender was hopeful of achieving promotion with the Blues. <span style='color:blue'>"Our aim is promotion, whether that is automatic or via the play-offs, we'll know about 15 games into the season what sort of year we're looking at. That obviously has got to be our aim."</span>

<span style='color:blue'>"This is a really open division next year it's just a case of getting a bit of consistency together, the team struggled this season until Steve took over but he achieved a lot here, nearly getting the side to mid table and also in taking the side to the LDV Final."</span>

With the players finishing training last Friday Edwards is yet to meet his new team-mates face to face but the 6ft 3" defender knows what they are capable of on the pitch. <span style='color:blue'>"I came down for the Swansea game, I thought Southend played really well and there was some good players there. I was surprised how low down the table they were, fortunately they managed to put a good run together and move up, but there's definitely some potential in the players we have here."

"In this division I don't think there's anyone that's outstanding, the teams that have come down I don't think are as good as the sides that have left the division. Doncaster, Hull and Torquay are definitely better sides than the likes of Wycombe and Notts County. I think it's a weaker division next season than it has been this year which is a good thing."</span>

still a shame about the bad use of English and spellings though........

By the way, enjoyed noting these things from the interview:

1. Tilson was &quot;a huge factor&quot; in getting Edwards to sign.
2. He wants to help us get promoted back up the league &quot;where the club belongs&quot;.
3. He mentions twice his &quot;love for the club&quot;.
4. He reckons you know after the first third of the season what sort of year you&#39;ll have.
5. He also reckons that Div 3 will be weaker next season than it was in 2003-04.

All very interesting stuff, particularly the influence that Tilly wields in getting players to sign...

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ May 19 2004,13:28)]still a shame about the bad use of English and spellings though........
Nah, it makes it feel a more aufentik expeerience, like he has realy spoken with the player...

wink.gif

I have every faith in Tilson and the signings he has made and will make&#33; The encouraging thing is, unlike Wignall last year who said was waiting for official lists blah blah blah and would see what was out there, Tilly knows who he wants and is going out there to get them&#33; Very positive and encouraging&#33;&#33;
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 19 2004,13:29)]4. He reckons you know after the first third of the season what sort of year you&#39;ll have.
wields in getting players to sign...

biggrin.gif
I&#39;m not sure that Oxford fans would entirely agree with this.
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 19 2004,13:05)]Blimey... Scriv has made an almost instant impact.  Suddenly, there are at least 2-3 interesting stories a day; whereas before, you were lucky if there was one interesting piece a week.
I'm impressed Scriv has managed to secure as the main feature an interview with Frank Butcher.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 19 2004,13:29)]1. Tilson was &quot;a huge factor&quot; in getting Edwards to sign.
Tilly bought him his pints all night and a chicken vindaloo at the Halfway House.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 19 2004,13:05)]Blimey... Scriv has made an almost instant impact.  Suddenly, there are at least 2-3 interesting stories a day; whereas before, you were lucky if there was one interesting piece a week.
...it's not just Scriven its another man called Mike Smith aswel!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Yorkshire Blue @ May 19 2004,14:09)]
[b said:
I'm impressed Scriv has managed to secure as the main feature an interview with Frank Butcher.
i was definatley thinking used car salesman
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ May 19 2004,16:20)]
[b said:
...it's not just Scriven its another man called Mike Smith aswel!
splitters the pair of them!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 19 2004,13:29)]1. Tilson was &quot;a huge factor&quot; in getting Edwards to sign.
I&#39;m surprised nobody has mentioned the fact that this is the biggest &#39;old pals act&#39; ever. I&#39;m not complaining mind, he sounds a good player.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 19 2004,17:09)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ May 19 2004,16:54)]splitters the pair of them&#33;
Fackin&#39; People&#39;s Front of Judea...

tounge.gif
WE&#39;RE the People&#39;s Front of Judea... they&#39;re the Judean People&#39;s Front...

tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spaceman Spiff @ May 20 2004,00:00)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ May 19 2004,17:09)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ May 19 2004,16:54)]splitters the pair of them!
Fackin' People's Front of Judea...

tounge.gif
WE'RE the People's Front of Judea... they're the Judean People's Front...

tounge.gif

biggrin.gif
Whatever happened to the popular peoples front of Judea?
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chadded @ May 19 2004,21:42)]
[b said:
I&#39;m surprised nobody has mentioned the fact that this is the biggest &#39;old pals act&#39; ever. I&#39;m not complaining mind, he sounds a good player.
I wouldn&#39;t mind a Powell / Tilson &#39;old pals act&#39; to best this one.

Back