• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Is it just about the Football?

BEERMONSTER

Saga Lout⭐🦐
Having seen certain comments over the last few weeks I am intrigued to know how you view your relationship with Southend United? Is it more about feeling part of or belonging to something? Is it just about getting your football fix, attending the match purely for what happens on the pitch? Do you embrace the whole aspect of matchday with the 90mins on the pitch the filling in the Social sandwich of meeting up with people, a few beers if that's your style?
I noted comments about non entertaining football will drive down attendances, people saying they regret buying a Season ticket I understand where these comments are coming from and I get the viewpoint football is an entertainment industry but surely if it's all about the football for you, Southend United should not be your posion of choice? The words realistic and expectations are much used on SZ both individually and collectively and for me after 50 odd years if you attend Roots Hall just for the football entertainment then realistically your going to have expectations dented. Hopefully the era of COSU will lend itself to a steady rise in standards and entertainment value both off and on the pitch. Don't get me wrong I'm not defending poor performance just because of our status in the football pyramid and there should always be an effort made to correct it, I just feel watching a Club like Southend can't be just about the football.

Having seen certain comments over the last few weeks I am intrigued to know how you view your relationship with Southend United? Is it more about feeling part of or belonging to something? Is it just about getting your football fix, attending the match purely for what happens on the pitch? Do you embrace the whole aspect of matchday with the 90mins on the pitch the filling in the Social sandwich of meeting up with people, a few beers if that's your style?
I noted comments about non entertaining football will drive down attendances, people saying they regret buying a Season ticket I understand where these comments are coming from and I get the viewpoint football is an entertainment industry but surely if it's all about the football for you, Southend United should not be your posion of choice? The words realistic and expectations are much used on SZ both individually and collectively and for me after 50 odd years if you attend Roots Hall just for the football entertainment then realistically your going to have expectations dented. Hopefully the era of COSU will lend itself to a steady rise in standards and entertainment value both off and on the pitch. Don't get me wrong I'm not defending poor performance just because of our status in the football pyramid and there should always be an effort made to correct it, I just feel watching a Club like Southend can't be just about the football.

Well said Fletch.

Today is the 34th anniversary of my first ever game (a 2-1 home loss, natch) and although I joke I've been glory hunting for that long it isn't about the football all the time. It's about the belonging. It's about being able to take my youngster (7 seasons and counting) to a place I feel at home at. Would I like a repeat of the promotion seasons I've seen? Yes. But I also want a club to support and it will take time to put proper foundations in place so that we all have a club to support in another 34 years.

Shrimper for Life.

First went in 1973 and it's always been about following the club first and foremost. I've been entertained many times since then, some fantastic players and games, but also some utter dross. The prospect of a high quality game was never the main motivator.

No longer a regular, so I guess that makes it easier to be stoical about the current performances as I'm not forking out £££ to watch.

If it was just about the football, we really would not be here. Utter tosh served up recently (last few years). Not about being looked down to either, thanks to ‘I fuggin love this club’ Ron.
Is it ‘tribe’? We are part of this tribe because of many reasons… but it’s certainly NOT just the skills on the pitch.

It's tribal at heart. A sense of belonging. It's also a family occasion. The disgrace against Maidenhead started with my eldest boy travelling from Enfield to pick me up in Ockendon. We then meet up with my youngest and my granddaughter and the four of us have a traditional repast in the the Sky Blue cafe in Westcliff before proceeding to the ground. We then trudge away, usually dissecting another failure, and plan for the next game. Win or lose we are still Blues.

Sadly, for some, winning/entertainment is pivotal and many of those will find other things to do on a match day. I am in full support of the clubs ambition to be sustainable and accept it has probably had a bearing on our lack of transfer activity. I do fear that long term aims need to start with short term goals and the above expected revenue streams this season will diminish if the purse strings are not loosened a wee bit. I guess that's another great thing about being a Blues supporter, always something to talk/argue about.

Not sure it's about entertainment on the pitch - some want winning and entertaining - it's not enough to lose a 'good' game.

For me I'm less bothered about the result, but I do like to see some entertaining footie. Surprisingly I actually thought the maidenhead game was ok in the entertainment stakes, various opportunities on goal, just overall performance was lacking quality.
It used to be about the day out for me, meeting friends in pub before and after games. Now it's about spending time with my son when he's around or I attend on my own.

Not sure it's about entertainment on the pitch - some want winning and entertaining - it's not enough to lose a 'good' game.

For me I'm less bothered about the result, but I do like to see some entertaining footie.
Yes, agree with that assessment and get your view about the result totally 👌

The standard of football and this notion that football is all about entertainment is so alien to me.
No football match has ever had an entertainment guarantee attached...ever.
It's nearly zero to do.with the football.
It's community. It's coming together for a common cause. It's representing my home town/city. It's having a great day out regardless of the 90 minutes. If we win yay if we lose...there's another one coming up.
I attend with my dad, my son. That's three generations. As well as my mate of 40+ years. Southend united is literally in my soul. The familiar faces around the hall.
First season I remember...1982 ish. If results or entertainment were even a consideration I reckon I would have stopped going around 1986 87.
Not missed many home games in that time and been all over for away days.
I only want one thing from players in that shirt...Commitment. And the previous two seasons have possibly been the pinnacle of that since I started.

It's the delicious burgers for me.

Nah - it's the being able to have a moan at Southend United with like minded people. It's an outlet. What else would I do on a Saturday.

I watched my 1st game in 1963 against Bristol City finished 1 - 1. Supported the Club from that day on. There have been years where I haven't been able to go many games. I moved to Suffolk 6 and a half years ago, so my other half could be much nearer her sister. Having lived in Thundersley for most of my life it was a bit of a wrench. Mind I don't regret living in the country, 8 miles from Stowmarket and 11 miles from Diss.

Haven't missed many Home games and a near 150 mile round trip to Roots Hall is more than worth it. I enjoy the company of the people I sit with (1 exception) and I just want to see the Club survive then thrive. Many supporters expectations are unrealistic. Many say the League is weaker than for many years. I disagree there may not be a Wrexham or Chesterfield, but there are no easy games. We made Boston look ordinary, but a week later, they went and won at York.

There are over 20 years of gross mismanagement to correct. People should remember that up until mid July, we were still under a Transfer Embargo, we still had the threat of having to pay a £1 million deposit to the League, we had no Safety Certificate for Roots Hall. Only obtained 48 hours or so before our first match. Plus a multitude of problems with a Stadium that wasn't and still isn't fit for purpose in many areas.

Roots Hall and Shrimperzone can become very toxic places, very quickly after a defeat. Just wish some would get real and look beyond this season and the bigger picture. Now is the wrong time to make wholesale changes and bring new players in. Moncur and Bonne were all that were available in positions we needed to cover and that hasn't turned out well.

Along with many others I went to the Cliffs in January and so far, all I can see is COSU working towards what they said would happen. Shock, horror it didn't all happen overnight !

We have the right owners, the right football management team, so in a nutshell we are lucky to have them. Support them !

At the end of the month I will be attending two 60th birthday bashes. The first will begin at 9 am at the Beach Hut in Westcliff, before taking in several hostelries along the seafront, ahead of the Tamworth game (after which I will head back to Leytonstone for the second one).

I have been watching the Blues with the (first) birthday boy for 40+ years and TBH none of our group will be heartbroken if we do not put in a sublime performance, fail to score a worldie, or grab all three points. I predict we will joyously relive infamous away trips before the game, moan and contradict ourselves throughout the 90 minutes, and vociferously point out where Kev went wrong following the dour 0-0 draw.

Will we back for the next game, the next season, the next decade, whatever our performances and fortunes. Bl**dy right we will.

Back