• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Happy Clappy audiences

bumpkinblue

Schoolboy
My good lady persists in watching these so called 'talent' shows on Saturday nights (Maria,Joseph,Ballroom dancing thingies - all on between 6.30-9.00ish)
and whilst i sulk in another room i have realised that whatever the song or tune is the audience will without fail clap along for the whole duration ( i could hear them trying to clap along to 'livin la vida loca' this week which i found totally bizarre)
To annoy me even more she stumbled across some American X-factor singy thing the other day and much to my surprise our american cousins actually sit and listen without this overwhelming urge to clap along (i thought like everything else we'd probably copied it from them but obviously not).
I remember years ago it was only embarassing old ladies who used to clap along so i was wondering why it has suddenly appeared and if it bugs the hell out of anyone else but me!

Personally i don't watch any of these so-called "talent" shows ... but i'm pretty certain the audience are "urged" to join in like they do by way of prop boards held up by stage hands... things like laugh clap cheer etc... all very sad if you ask me.. but like i said at the start, i won't watch cr ap like this and so would never ever be tempted to watch the thing live and be told how to react

Thankfully I'm usually out when this sort of crap is on, either I haven't got back from footy or I've already decamped to the pub.
Hopefully people will get fed up of this sort of thing soon and we can have some decent Saturday evening TV....

My good lady persists in watching these so called 'talent' shows on Saturday nights (Maria,Joseph,Ballroom dancing thingies - all on between 6.30-9.00ish)
and whilst i sulk in another room i have realised that whatever the song or tune is the audience will without fail clap along for the whole duration ( i could hear them trying to clap along to 'livin la vida loca' this week which i found totally bizarre)
To annoy me even more she stumbled across some American X-factor singy thing the other day and much to my surprise our american cousins actually sit and listen without this overwhelming urge to clap along (i thought like everything else we'd probably copied it from them but obviously not).
I remember years ago it was only embarassing old ladies who used to clap along so i was wondering why it has suddenly appeared and if it bugs the hell out of anyone else but me!

I think the clapping craze was probably first copied from seals. The Americans probably just forgot to add the canned applause.

Think I'll steer clear of this thread. So I'm a gonorrhoeae.

I can't stand the middle-aged female quotient of most crowds these days that can't help themselves from screaming like a bunch of demented herpes every time something exciting happens...

Far worse than this are gameshows like that bloody thing Noel Edmonds does. Not only do the contestents clap themselves but they all seem to have an urge to run over to the person that has just opened a box to give them a hug or a kiss.

With that, Big Brother and the utter crap that is on the box in the wee hours we've turned into a nation of mini Americans, and judging by waistlines down the high street I think McDonalds has won the battle for the stomachs too.

Far worse than this are gameshows like that bloody thing Noel Edmonds does. Not only do the contestents clap themselves but they all seem to have an urge to run over to the person that has just opened a box to give them a hug or a kiss.

At least people don't die on his shows anymore.

Back