• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Gutteridge

DTS

The Business
No he hasnt been blasted to the moon but the bloke was superb tonight. I am sure that Freddy will get all the media plaudits nationally and Wayne Gray locally and both were excellent but for me Gutteridge was totally superb tonight.

Never stopped running,never wasted a ball and gave Maher total support throughout. As for the goal what a screamer. it did take a deflection but that shouldnt take anything away from the strike.

Testiment to him is that a class act like Jay Smith is stuck on the bench. Best Tilson signing so far. Hard to say but on tonight he is up there with the best im sure.

not surprised he cramped up he must run about 20 miles a game , and hes only got short legs so that makes it further really eh ?? sorry im delerious !

Not good enough for you to spell his name right though....

smile.gif

He was great, as usual. Player of the season so far, for me. And he's going to need to carry on playing like that if Jay Smith's form when he came on is anything to go by.

Luke Guttridge is amazing, quality, not only has heen been fantastic, but he has made Maher better (yes it was possible)

He is doing everything, talk about box to box, how does he go so much, no woner he dies on 70 minutes. I would say that was a problem, howver, Southend United subs include Jay Smith, Freddy Eastwood and Jamal Campbell-Ryce
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Was O.K but when Jay Smith came on it made him look very average in comparison. Those sublime Smithy through balls and dinks over the top is just what we have been missing.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Sep. 28 2005,00:19)]Was O.K but when Jay Smith came on it made him look very average in comparison. Those sublime Smithy through balls and dinks over the top is just what we have been missing.
You cant possibly be trying to say we should replace Luke Guttridge with anyone?!!??!

Yes Jay was fantastic, but Guttridge has been fantastic all of the time.

Gutts ball winning is outrageous, the way he goes about his game is excellent, he is just brilliant, and a bloody nice bloke aswell!

Jay really impressed me when he came on, + i would not say we have been lacking anything.

Wiggy I am sure if I had said that you would argue Hitler was a decent bloke for the sake of a bit of controversy.

Nope, think Gutts is playing well but doesn't create like Smith and plays more like the captain than Jay does. Therefore gonna suggest Luke warms the bench and bring in possibly our best asset for the future Mr. Jay Smith, then you will see some goals!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Sep. 28 2005,00:43)]Nope, think Gutts is playing well but doesn't create like Smith and plays more like the captain than Jay does. Therefore gonna suggest Luke warms the bench and bring in possibly our best asset for the future Mr. Jay Smith, then you will see some goals!
Eight in two games not enough for you, Wiggy?
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Sep. 28 2005,00:43)]Nope, think Gutts is playing well but doesn't create like Smith and plays more like the captain than Jay does. Therefore gonna suggest Luke warms the bench and bring in possibly our best asset for the future Mr. Jay Smith, then you will see some goals!
Well we have scored 11 in 3 games
tounge.gif

Guttridge (Only one E by the way) has been fantastic since his switch to the middle of the park. Started the season slowly wide right, but after his talk with Tilly about playing him more centrally. He started superb Vs Col******r and has carried on from there. Also, has a couple of goals to his name as well, which is something we struggled with last season. As well as provding an attacking outlet centrally in midfield, he provides cover for the back four. Think of him as a more technically gifted version of Mark Bentley.

A word on Smith. Looked sensational when he came on, his pass to release Gray down the right (Who delivered it to Freddy, who blazed over from 2 yards) was one of the best passes of the season. He is some player, and getting back to the form he showed before his injuries.

It looks good when in the last two matches, a forward has come on and scored twice. It looks good when a player like Smith, arguably our best player before injuries, comes on. It looks good when, a player we are set to spend £140K on has to settle for a place on the bench even though Gower and Petts are injuried. It looks good when a player whose goals won us promotion last season has to settle for a place on the bench because the others are firing on all cylinders. Also, bringing on Eastwood, Smith and Campbell-Ryce at 2-1 up is pretty good as well. Which ever way you look at it, its good being a Southend United fan at the minute.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Sep. 28 2005,00:12)]No he hasnt been blasted to the moon but the bloke was superb tonight. I am sure that Freddy will get all the media plaudits nationally and Wayne Gray locally and both were excellent but for me Gutteridge was totally superb tonight.

Never stopped running,never wasted a ball and gave Maher total support throughout. As for the goal what a screamer. it did take a deflection but that shouldnt take anything away from the strike.

Testiment to him is that a class act like Jay Smith is stuck on the bench. Best Tilson signing so far. Hard to say but on tonight he is up there with the best im sure.
For me the best thing was seeing Jay and Gutts hugging eachother after the game. At the moment the two of them are vying for one place alongside Maher in the team, but there appeared to be no animosity at all. They just seemed to be congratulating eachother on playing well.

BTW: I think the deflection should matter, I think Chris Weale had it covered until that.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimper2thecore @ Sep. 28 2005,00:23)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Sep. 28 2005,00:19)]Was O.K but when Jay Smith came on it made him look very average in comparison. Those sublime Smithy through balls and dinks over the top is just what we have been missing.
You cant possibly be trying to say we should replace Luke Guttridge with anyone?!!??!

Yes Jay was fantastic, but Guttridge has been fantastic all of the time.

Gutts ball winning is outrageous, the way he goes about his game is excellent, he is just brilliant, and a bloody nice bloke aswell!

Jay really impressed me when he came on, + i would not say we have been lacking anything.
and he got 9 out of 10 in the quiz in the programme
biggrin.gif

I think that Guttridge was a class all round player but in terms of attacking threat I think I'm with Wiggy here. If Smith plays with the pace of Gray and the movement of Eastwood, we will create chances. No doubt in my mind on that.

For Saturday though, probably more of the same as we are away from home

Just to add my tuppence worth I thought Guttridge had a quiet game (mainly in the first half when to be fair the whole team wasn't playing that well) compared to the very high standards he has set so far this season. Not a criticism, just an observation.

Just listened to Gutts interview on Bluesworld, Please can someone else have a listen. I thought i was going mad, he says "Obviously" in pretty much every sentence.

Very Funny
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kent Shrimper @ Sep. 28 2005,20:45)]Just listened to Gutts interview on Bluesworld, Please can someone else have a listen. I thought i was going mad, he says "Obviously" in pretty much every sentence.

Very Funny  
biggrin.gif
You're not going mad, he must do it deliberately. I counted 18. Did I miss any?

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back