• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Great Wakering Rovers 0 - 5 Southend United, Saturday 13th July, pre-season friendly

I prefer that we can potentially sign another 3 or 4 new players rather than compared to last year when we could not sign everyone.

Like others have mention this season is about the takeover and maybe not promotion. We are already behind our rivals. However it would be great if we could sneak into the playoffs.

I wont have expectations this season it will just be great to have a club. Then season 25/26 we can have a proper pre season without Ron and make a serious challenge to the football league.

Certainly get where Kev is coming from. In comparison ALDERSHOT SIGNED 7 players on 1st July and another on 4th to take their squad so far to 29 !

That includes 10 MIDFIELDERS, 4 strikers, 3 right backs, 3 left backs, 4 Centre backs, 3 Goalkeepers, and 2 wingers. av age 23.3 includes 8 Foreigners

Our good news is we are a tight ship with just 17 signed if you included Beau and 18 if Faulkner included

But i still think we will stuff them

Barry you are obsessed with how many and how soon. I need to remind you how impressed you were with the club that signed 15 players in a week.......They used to be called Bury FC. Not sure of their new name but I'm sure they will not be that daft going forward.

Last summer we had similar posts about Oldham signing plenty of Wow players etc. What a wonderful day we had against them first up. They ended up down the bottom in the first few months and manager gone.

Chesterfield were sensible because they already had a quality starting 11. Was it 22 players they used to win the title?

Rather than 30+ A much better option is 20-22 and leaving plenty of room to bring in where needed during the season as there is no window in the NL. Absolutely no point in having CB's that can't get game but 3 of your forwards in the treatment room. Or signing a third goal keeper for that matter. Utter nonsense in the NL.

Last edited:
Beau and Faulkner will be included for sure but I doubt they will be called upon that often and will mostly be a bench filler

The worry I have is some Southend fans will expect us to have a huge budget and to start signing a bunch of players

I imagine we are almost at budget right now and will probably only see a couple of signings before the season starts

Ideally, we would want 20 senior players and then the youth to fill in the gaps

We also have the loan market when needed.

This season is all about getting the takeover done and staying alive, we do not need to be thinking about a promotion challenge.

The fact we've even been up there the last couple of seasons is down to the coaches and the players over performing again, it's not a given that we should be up there again

Let's back what we have and hope Ron ****s off and we get our club back 💪🏻
What is defined as a huge signings budget? 250k? 500? The amount of millions flying around left right and centre at the mo these seem meagre amounts. (As crazy as that is)

I love the cosu ethos of being self sustaining and doing things the right way, but surely its worth investing in getting back to the football league, for tv money, sponsorship etc etc, not to mention the kudos etc.

Will be interesting to see how they play it. Our great attendance figures arent going to remain or grow if we are mid table non league every year.

Barry you are obsessed with how many and how soon. I need to remind you how impressed you were with the club that signed 15 players in a week.......They used to be called Bury FC. Not sure of their new name but I'm sure they will not be that daft going forward.

Last summer we had similar posts about Oldham signing plenty of Wow players etc. What a wonderful day we had against them first up. They ended up down the bottom in the first few months and manager gone.

Chesterfield were sensible because they already had a quality starting 11. Was it 22 players they used to win the title?

Rather than 30+ A much better option is 20-22 and leaving plenty of room to bring in where needed during the season as there is no window in the NL. Absolutely no point in having CB's that can't get game but 3 of your forwards in the treatment room. Or signing a third goal keeper for that matter. Utter nonsense in the NL.
Your havin a larf !!
You are the one who is totally obsessed with Bury ! If readers had the time it would be fun to add up the number of times you like to use them as a back up to your arguments
Infact as soon as I saw you had quoted my post and I dont think im a clairvoyant I guessed your Bury Obsession would be there in the reply

Trouble is you struggle to entertain other perspectives Riggers

Off course you could turn to last years teams above us and examine the size of their squads but dont let down your Bury Guard or I suspect you will need help.

At least I dont spend much time bashing fans on a regular basis

Your havin a larf !!
You are the one who is totally obsessed with Bury ! If readers had the time it would be fun to add up the number of times you like to use them as a back up to your arguments
Infact as soon as I saw you had quoted my post and I dont think im a clairvoyant I guessed your Bury Obsession would be there in the reply

Trouble is you struggle to entertain other perspectives Riggers

Off course you could turn to last years teams above us and examine the size of their squads but dont let down your Bury Guard or I suspect you will need help.

At least I dont spend much time bashing fans on a regular basis

He is right though.

Anyways, in terms of squad size, you keep going on about this and partly due to other teams and the increase in substitutes next season. I wouldn’t be shocked to see us regularly not name a full compliment, especially as we don’t really have a youth team as such to dip into.

Kev likes to operate a smaller squad, that is true, and Kev has worked wonders during his spell in charge with a smaller squad, no more so than last season and the embargo and squad limit restrictions.

In an ideal world, you’d have at least a 22 man squad (two players for every position) and those two players being good enough to start. However, even during the Euros we’ve seen 26 men squads, and England had players in their squad that didn’t get a single minute of action, rightly or wrongly, and I’m not just talking about the goalkeepers.

The problem you’ll have is getting the amount of players you want, in the budget given. So the argument becomes quality or quantity. Take the goalkeeper for example. In my mind, whoever you bring into the squad should be good enough to start. No point signing a goalkeeper, who becomes number 2, that once Collin gets injured you bring in a replacement on loan because the number 2 you have was brought in because he is cheap. Using made up figures, say across our budget, Kev decides that £2k per week will go on the goalkeepers. So, do you go for two on £1k a week, one on £1200 and the other on £800 and so on. Collin might demand £1500, so we can only spend £500 on a number 2. Straight away, the quality available is reduced.

Again, look at centre forwards. We have Cards, Waldron & Walker. Ideally, for my mind, we’d have a fourth striker (two for every position) but he’d be good enough to start. So, again using made up figures, we have £4000 a week to spend on centre forwards. 4 on £1000, easy. However, Walker comes in and wants £1200, that’s okay as Waldron is on £800, however Cards is on £1500. Do we take a punt on a £500 a week centre forward, or do we reduce the budget on defenders to get in extra quality upfront?

It’s a fine balancing act. As I say, all those figures are made up but you get my point.

Back