• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Great Wakering Rovers 0 - 5 Southend United, Saturday 13th July, pre-season friendly

Stand out by far was Faulkner - looked very lively and was always trying to get past his man.

Walker looks like a solid player, strong and able to hold the ball up - should bring Cardwell/Waldron in nicely.

The youth player in defence looked a little rusty but all in all everyone played well. We knocked it around nicely and some good positive pieces of play.

An enjoyable afternoon in the sunshine.

Main takeaway from me was Gubbins in the middle. Had fully expected him on the left side of the back three but he was in the Kensdale role when he came on. Will be something to track over the rest of pre-season - was this just because Shobawale can only play left or does Maher want him as competition or back up to Kensdale?

Josh Walker’s 45 minutes was uneventful.

Gus’ free-kick against Dorking wasn’t a fluke. He smacked one against the cross bar. His volley was the pick of the goals.

Jack Wood took his goal very smartly - this performance is what we’ve seen in previous pre-seasons as well.

No Bridge, Collin, Waldron, Moreton, Demi or Noor. The first four were all there watching (maybe the other two as well). Really disappointing Moreton and Waldron are (presumably) carrying knocks. They are the ones who need a good pre-season having moved up from part-time football.

I wasn’t as impressed by the RWB as others on here. He’s definitely not a LWB as his left foot appeared to be for standing on only. He wasn’t tested defensively and going forward I wanted a bit more quality when he got in good positions.

The same was true of Mikey Faulkner. He glided past players with impressive ease but lacked the quality to make it count. He’ll be one to track as he’s super comfortable on the ball if he can develop that other part of his game. Beau MacDonald got a chance with the stronger team but looked like he’s still a way off contributing.

Shobawale struggled. I see he’s a youth rather than a triallist which makes sense. He gave the ball away several times. My comparison with him would be Richard Taylor who’s seemingly matured into a decent player but wasn’t ready when he was thrust into the first team with us. Maybe in a few years.

The rest of the youth team looked noticeably small when they came on compared to the pros. I thought Piers Hatcliff looked a tidy little player. Joe Poxon took his goal nicely to the delight of his family watching on.
Ronnie Blake seems to have some quality on the ball (he played the best pass of the game) when he had time but the rest of his game seems raw.

Just to bounce off a few points.
Be very interesting how Zuriel
Otseh-Taiwo performs
Someone else mentioned passing interchange. Watching him today, I wasn’t aware of his background/pedigree but his tip tap passing, working triangles with whoever he was paired with was excellent. Definitely worth a longer look. We scored from one of these interchanges where he started the move, led the passing interchange, and then found his player when he put in the cross. Arguably, we didn’t use him as much as we could have and he spent most of the game sitting on the defender’s shoulder ready to make the run if our defence/midfield saw the option.

18 year old midfielder Mikey Faulkner
Looked confident. Definitely needs to add a few pounds but that’ll come.

Zuriel Otseh-Taiwo swaps passes with Wood before delivering a fine right-wing cross Cardwell nods into the back of the net.
As above.

Didn’t particularly notice Walker or Gubbins
I definitely noticed Gubbins but perhaps more because I was sitting at the side in line with our defensive line.

He’s such an impressive signing. Notwithstanding the oppo today, every touch he took of the ball moved us further up the pitch. None of this nose bleed with forward momentum that most defenders have. Watch out for it this season, it was fantastic to see as he brought our whole line forward before launching searching passes (generally successfully) to our wider players.

Last edited:
Enjoyable afternoon, good to watch some live football. As others have said Faulkner looked lively and got 80 odd minutes on the pitch. Gus came on second half and looked very lively going forward, will have to be more aware of his defensive duties against better opposition, got caught upfield a couple of times on the odd occasion GWR broke. Trialist keepers had very little to do. Good to see a steady increase in quality of opponents going forward. Hope the little niggles to a few is only minor as we looked a bit light squad wise with the youth players playing the most minutes today. UTB

Triallist keeper was 29 year old, 6 ft 3 inches Sam Hornby. Released by Colchester at end of season after 26 appearances for them in 2022 ; mostly acting as understudy and similarly with 3 appearances on loan at Solihull motors last year
Considerable experience having played for Burton Alb, Port Vale, Bradford City, Chester and Flyde amongst others
Col u paid a fee for him

Back