• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Fossets Farm What I Don't Want!

IloveShrimp

Director⭐🦐
Just got back from Twickers to see the rugby.

The atmosphere around the ground (outside) was very relaxed with a real family feeling; which I thought was great, but inside there was no atmosphere at all.

Yes it was great that it was possible for beer and other refreshments to be taken to your seat, and to be treated like adults (something that is sadly missing from football) but there was something missing.

The stands are much too far away from the pitch meaning that the when the game is at the other end you have to rely on watching the tv screens to see anything. My son commented that although he had been watching for 80 mins he felt that he hadn't seen anything, and I agreed with him 100%.

£5.00 for a burger
£5.70 with cheese
£7.60 if you dared to want bacon and cheese!
£5.60 for a bacon roll

Two x cornish pasties plus 1 sausage roll £10.40 :stunned:

70p for a slice of cheap processed cheese... what a rip off!

Beer £3.60 pint!

This is not what I want at Fossets, and if it came to it I would stop watching the Blues (wouldn't be able to afford it anyway) :thumbdown:

Mr. Chairman please take note!

Ron has already said that he is putting the seating as close to the pitch as possible, and the rake (pitch) will be the maximum permissable, so seats on top of the pitch and a very steep stand should make it a much more intimate experience than even Roots Hall, let alone Twickers!

The atmosphere around the ground (outside) was very relaxed with a real family feeling; which I thought was great, but inside there was no atmosphere at all.

Yes it was great that it was possible for beer and other refreshments to be taken to your seat, and to be treated like adults (something that is sadly missing from football) but there was something missing.

The stands are much too far away from the pitch meaning that the when the game is at the other end you have to rely on watching the tv screens to see anything. My son commented that although he had been watching for 80 mins he felt that he hadn't seen anything, and I agreed with him 100%.

£5.00 for a burger
£5.70 with cheese
£5.60 for a bacon roll

Beer £3.60 pint!

This is not what I want at Fossets, and if it came to it I would stop watching the Blues (wouldn't be able to afford it anyway) :thumbdown:

The atmosphere looked pretty good at the previous day's match !!

Catering at all major national stadiums incl Wembley, Lords as well as Twickenham is exhorbitant. It's just another revenue stream. If people are prepared to pay it, they'll charge it. The answer is in the customers' hands.

Ron has already said that he is putting the seating as close to the pitch as possible, and the rake (pitch) will be the maximum permissable, so seats on top of the pitch and a very steep stand should make it a much more intimate experience than even Roots Hall, let alone Twickers!

I'm not sure about the seats at Fossets being the maximum possible rake. If you check out the plan of the ground on the following link you will see the rake is much steeper in the small upper tier than the rest of the main seating areas. Also in the computer generated shots the rake of the seats does not look that steep. The rake will be better than at Roots Hall though.

http://www.southend.gov.uk/resources/southnorthandeastwestsections.pdf

So yes some of the seats (in the executive area) are the maximum possible rake but not the rest of the ground.

Also the seating is a much further away from the pitch than at Roots Hall.

Lets hope we get permission to build the Stadium!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Twickers is a national team stadium, it will always be expensive. As is Wembley, I'm sure.

I have to say that I LOVE the atmosphere at rugby and cricket games. Non-segregated for the most part, beers in seats, so relaxed and friendly.

To be honest, in terms of getting close to the pitch and "traditional" match experience you just can't beat Roots Hall. That's actually one of the reasons why I was more sad than happy to hear that Fossetts had been given the green light. Don't get me wong, it'll be good for the long-term future of the club, but the atmos will almost definately suffer (like it has at all the other new stadiums) Don't want to sound arrogant but I invite any of you to argue that the whole matchday experience at places like the Kassam/the Riverside/New Wembley are better than proper "grounds" like Ashton Gate/Upton Park or Ninian Park. Yes, the fans are closer to the action, but it's also imo about where the football clubs are supposed to be - in the middle of their communities. Really enjoy the walk from the town centre through Victoria Avenue to get to the West Stand. Sorry but being bussed into what ultimately will be a the middle of nowhere just won't be the same. Yes, Roots Hall is a bit of a shi*hole but the place does have bundles of character. Rant over.

well, most of you are gonna think I'm a bit of a c*&t for saying it but for the reasons mentioned above, I hope the green light won't be given just yet.

tbh its hardly compareable when theres a 80k stadium compared to a 22k stadium. the seats will always be far back in a 80k stadium unless your in the 1st tier

Beer £3.60 pint!

I'm a regular over the road at The Stoop to watch Harlequins Rugby League and a Guinness there is £3.80 :'(

Nice to have a beer in your hand during the game, but it doesn't taste quite so good when it's that dear!

Did you expect anything else at a National Sports Stadium other than being ripped off and having a crap view?

I'm not sure about the seats at Fossets being the maximum possible rake. If you check out the plan of the ground on the following link you will see the rake is much steeper in the small upper tier than the rest of the main seating areas. Also in the computer generated shots the rake of the seats does not look that steep. The rake will be better than at Roots Hall though.

http://www.southend.gov.uk/resources/southnorthandeastwestsections.pdf

So yes some of the seats (in the executive area) are the maximum possible rake but not the rest of the ground.

Also the seating is a much further away from the pitch than at Roots Hall.

Lets hope we get permission to build the Stadium!!!!!!!!!!

I am basing my quote on Scriv's post on the issue, not the CAD images, where he stated that the seats will be as close or closer to the pitch than Roots Hall, and the seat rake will be the maximum permissable.

Regardless, I can't see why anyone would want to stay at Roots Hall based on atmosphere - the acoustics make it really hard to create anything like a decent noise all round unless the ground is full and everyone up for it. I have been going to the Hall since 1966, and I have too many bad memories of tiny crowds and depressing silence to feel anything but glad that we are finally moving.

£5.00 for a burger
£5.70 with cheese
£5.60 for a bacon roll

Beer £3.60 pint!

I went to see England play the Baa-Baas last season. I have to say I didn't like the prices of the food, so I didn't have anything. It really was that simple. I was also in the middle tier of either the North or South stand (whichever isn't the new one - I can't remember) and had no problem seeing the other end of the pitch.

As for the atmosphere. I kind of agree with you, but I put it down to a rather experimental England team playing a team of strangers. I suspect if it was England versus Wales the atmosphere would be completely different.

£5.00 for a burger
£5.70 with cheese
£5.60 for a bacon roll

Beer £3.60 pint!

I was there too, but we went to the londis just down the road and got 6 beers for 6 quid. Maybe you should have had a scout about.

tbh its hardly compareable when theres a 80k stadium compared to a 22k stadium. the seats will always be far back in a 80k stadium unless your in the 1st tier

I was in the 1st tier. It was still miles away from the pitch.

Oh by the way, I sat next to a lady with her 10 years old son.. no concessions for him!!

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back