• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Football Manager 24

Tyga

Youth Team⭐
The early release of FM24 was yesterday and it looks like managing Southend is going to be a challenge this time around.

Starting with a threadbare squad under an embargo was a given but I think the injury situation in FM24 is less forgiving than in previous versions. Plus the 10 point deduction is there from the start.

I've played 4 pre-season friendlies and the opening game of the season at home against Oldham. The friendlies were against much weaker opponents (pre-arranged before I took over) so we had some good results when the best XI was on the pitch then leaked goals when the youth players came on.

Louis Lomas was already injured and according to the game is out for 4-5 months which I expected. Demi was suspended for the first league game but just prior to the first league game Bridge and Mooney went down with long term injuries (back stress fractures and a broken arm respectively) so the threadbare squad now has its backside fully exposed.

True to life we won the first game against Oldham 4-0 but with the squad now down to bare bones I'm not sure how they will hold up as the games come along quickly.

In regards to the game itself, there are 3 versions now available. The traditional version with squads as per the most recent update, another version where the transfers are schedules to occur on the dates they did in real life and the last version where the squad is as it was in pre-season and any real life transfers will not occur unless you organise them.

The 2 new versions have their limitations, as you can only choose a team from the main league you have selected if you want to real life transfers to occur on the dates they actually happened in the game. I'm guessing because the logistics of having transfers schedules to occur for multiple leagues would be too much to handle or it may be only in the beta version.

The match engine seems a lot better (so far) with less players running to the goal line and then blasting a shot into the side netting. More cut-backs and crosses so far. The ball also deflects more realistically meaning more chances for opportunistic goals in the penalty area.

Obviously, I haven't been able to do much with regards to the transfer system due to the embargo so the new ways to sell a player will have to wait until the new yar in-game.

I'm now 13 league games into the season and in 9th place, I'd be 2 points clear on top if not for the 10 point deduction.

We won the first 4 league games 4-0 which seemed a bit odd and I thought there was some sort of bug but after that the results began to differ quite a bit. Still, the games tend to be high-scoring for the most part. Not sure if that is due to my tactics or a result of the match engine changes.

Injuries still continue to be an issue with the small squad. I have Bridge and Mooney back but have had other injuries to a few players but they have been minor so only really impacting a single game for each injury. The exception was goalkeeper Martin who broke his arm, typically a minute after I'd made my third sub for the game so Ollie Kensdale had to hold down the fort in goal for the last 10 minutes of that match. We managed to hang on for the win so got away with that.

In-game Ron is looking to sell and Justin Rees is listed as co-chairman when the game starts. I'm hoping Ron leaving will see an early removal of the embargo but if the game is anywhere near true-to-life I know that is false hope.

Until the embargo is lifted I can't really do much with scouting and transfers although I managed to set up an affiliate and send a few youth players off on loan. I also haven't really tinkered with the new set piece system as I've let my staff look after that and training for the time being. Once the embargo is gone I'll probably take a look at those things more closely.

So far, so good with respects to FM24 being an improvement on FM23 but it is still beta and that could change with the next game update.

I have started playing the Beta with Southend also, tried to set up similarly to how Kev has the boys playing. I used the real life transfers database so no Martin or Kabongolo yet for me, but have just been taken over by a tycoon who has invested £1.5m into youth and given me a larger transfer budget of £200k and slightly larger wage budget. Tied Bridge and Demi to new deals but Ralph not interested.

Here we are after 8 league games:

Undefeated and just outside the playoffs not a bad start at all. We do have a very strong nucleus of a squad.

Formation I am using is in pics as well:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 14.51.38.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 14.51.38.png
    723.9 KB · Views: 55
  • Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 14.55.04.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-24 at 14.55.04.png
    847.4 KB · Views: 57
I have found when the best XI is available then the team wins most, if not all, matches. It is when there are injuries (there have been a lot!), international call ups (Noor) or just a need to rest a player or two that the lack of depth becomes an issue and the results suffer a bit.

Still waiting for my tycoon to come along and give me a chance to bring in reinforcements. Sadly, the latest update at the time I started my game did not include Kanu's arrival.

Tactics-wise, Kev's formation is my back-up. My main formation is a variation on a 4-3-3, I guess a 4-1-2-2-1 with wingers. I'll put up a screenshot when I'm able. Callum Powell has been a goalscoring machine from the wings

Here are a couple of screenshots, the main formation I'm using and the best XI at the moment. Also, the league table as I've just moved into the playoff spots after a 3-1 away win at Woking.

Attachments

• fm24 formation sufc.jpg
    fm24 formation sufc.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 59
  • fm24 table.jpg
    fm24 table.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 59
Crikey, you even have a 10 points deduction but have the most wins in the whole league, with the most goals scored, the fewest goals conceded, and the best goal difference and already in the playoffs while under our 12 month embargo.

Think this is a good omen for our season

I have started playing the Beta with Southend also, tried to set up similarly to how Kev has the boys playing. I used the real life transfers database so no Martin or Kabongolo yet for me, but have just been taken over by a tycoon who has invested £1.5m into youth and given me a larger transfer budget of £200k and slightly larger wage budget. Tied Bridge and Demi to new deals but Ralph not interested.

Here we are after 8 league games:

Undefeated and just outside the playoffs not a bad start at all. We do have a very strong nucleus of a squad.

Formation I am using is in pics as well:
-10 due to "Financial Mismanagement" - understatement of the century!

Finally managed to get into this after a busy couple of weeks. 14 games in, early October, and I'm in 19th on 15 points, 3 clear of the relegation zone.

Started off with Kev's 3-5-2 system, but it didn't really work and lost the first two games, conceding 5 against Oldham and 3 against Daggers. Conceded 2 in injury time to lose 5-3 vs Oldham and then conceded a winner in injury time against Daggers. Switched to a 4-3-3 after that and it's worked well, won 8, drawn 3 and lost 1. One of those draws was the third game, another injury time goal conceded in a 2-2 draw with Dorking.

Injuries haven't helped much. Demetriou, Ralph, Cardwell, Wood, Husin, all been out for 2 months or longer. Cardwell and Husin were two of my best players before they got injured so have been real blows, but Husin is close to a return now and he's got competition with Wood recovering and playing well and Coker looking good.

Have ended up with Max Fiddes from the under 18s as my starting centre forward to replace Cardwell and he's scored 2 in 4 starts and 6 sub appearances which isn't bad going. Tried retraining Powell as a CF but he's not making quick progress. Romeo Ebondo has featured as an option in defence and Alfie Bangs has been in and out in midfield too.

Still, without the deduction we would be in the play-offs and that's with some games featuring 3/4 players from the youth team in the starting line-up, so I think we're in a pretty good place once the embargo is lifted and there's (hopefully) some many to spend to try and pick things up a bit. Starting with a left-back who can stay fit and another option or two up-front.

Haven't had much time to play over the past few weeks but managed to get a few games in yesterday. Two more wins in the league, 3-1 away at Woking and 2-1 at home against Solihull Moors leaving us in 7th with a game in hand so potentially into the top 5 if we win the game in hand.

In the FA Cup, we won our 4th qualifying round match 3-0 away at Havant and Waterlooville which was a relief as those are usually games where you get FM'd.

Rumours of a takeover were growing stronger giving me some hope of being embargo-free before the new year but the most recent news is the takeover is in jeopardy because...Ron wants too much money!

As it stands it looks like I'll have to press on with the tiny squad into the new year then see what happens when the embargo is lifted. According the the finances we have paid off all our loans and debts besides one small loan so not having to pay 200K per month in repayments and interest can only be a good thing.

Sounds positive, have you noticed any ch ages since the full game was released? I have just stated a new save in full game, and found a major issue with the match engine that I am in the middle of reporting. Basically a penalty is given if a foul is made outside but near the box.

I haven't noticed anything different from the beta version but I did change skins so if there are any cosmetic changes I won't see them.

Only had one penalty in the games I played today and it was a foul inside the box so not seen the issue you have.

I haven't noticed anything different from the beta version but I did change skins so if there are any cosmetic changes I won't see them.

Only had one penalty in the games I played today and it was a foul inside the box so not seen the issue you have.
Maybe SI are replicating the standard of referring in the national league in the game, if so hats off to them they have it very accurate.

Maybe SI are replicating the standard of referring in the national league in the game, if so hats off to them they have it very accurate.

Well, they have Ron sabotaging take over bids because he wants more money in my save so anything is possible as far as realism goes.

This is what I'm hoping for! Although the takeover that fell through in my save was only from one of the current board members so not sure I'd have been that much better off.

On FM mobile 2024, we start on -10, but no embargo and £100k transfer budget.

Wanted it to be realistic, but I can crack on.

Just finished my first full season, ending up in 9th and 6 points off the play-offs. We were a bit unlucky in the end as we went 2 months unbeaten from February to April, that coming to an end against Solihull Moors (who won the league) in a 2-0 loss with goals in the 88th and 90th minutes in the penultimate game to end our play-off hopes.

Then had a rather comical 35 day break before the FA Trophy final, so had a couple of friendlies against Canvey Island and Dulwich Hamlet to try and keep up fitness levels and David Martin rather inconveniently decided to leave a few days before the final. Beat Solihull Moors (revenge) 4-1 with a Harry Cardwell hat-trick at Wembley.

The embargo ended with the new year, still had no budget but Jason Demetriou left so used his wages to bring in Destiny Ojo from Portsmouth on loan as a winger/forward and Danny Hylton as cover in attack on a 6-month deal. Both done very well since joining as squad options, Ojo pretty much displaced Jack Bridge towards the end of the season as well. Then had another embargo due to uncertainty over a new takeover from March and which is still in place now in May. Now been given a budget for the new season, with a reasonable amount to spend, but still under an embargo as there still hasn’t been a takeover, which isn't very helpful. In total 23 players used in the NL, by far the lowest in the league.

Ralph is still making silly demands for his contract and Hylton is retiring after a solid stint. Lomas has been hit by injuries all season so only played 14 games, and as one of the higher earners I'm a little hesitant to offer him a new deal. Powell played quite a lot earlier on in the season, but might look for an upgrade. Jack Wood I'm undecided on as well. Other than that, everyone is tied down for next season.

Top priorities will be a left-back and some cover in goal, in central defence, on the wings and up front. The starting XI I’m more or less happy with and fancy our chances next season. Our second half of the season form has us second by a point and that’s with times where I only had 4 fit first team defenders available playing twice a week most weeks with the trophy run. A bit more depth should give us that edge to get through and hopefully make it up.

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back