• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

1st half was woeful. Much better in 2nd , if only they played like that in the first too then might have got something out of it

It was like a totally different team to the one that played against Maidstone though Oxford were a rather different calibre of opponent. I understand Williams had been ill, but the 1st half looked as if that might equally have applied to a number of them. Also got to say that the 2nd goal looked well offside and it was a very dodgy penalty decision. 3-0 at half time flattered Oxford somewhat but that's not to say they weren't deserving of their winning position.

2nd half was much brighter, Ricky obviously had words with several of them during the break, and we really started to work the Oxford defence. They started challenging more and tackling which they'd hardly done in the 1st half. Goal was very well worked down the left which was where the best forward play was to be found.

Oxford were worthy winners, but Ricky's boys have a number of bright prospects. Martin Allen was there last night watching, incidentally, and a number of scouts. Not sure who they were there for, but the Oxford no 11 was probably the best player on the pitch for me (sorry, didn't get a team sheet).

Agree with most of the Old Gal's comments - After the Maidstone game I thought we were a bit lightweight & I thought the same last night - at one point there were about four 50/50 balls & we lost the lot. Can't afforf to give the opposition a 3 goal start.I was also impressed by the No 10 of Oxford - a biggish lad who was quick & smart IMO.We put a good move together to get a goal then didn't try the same approach again. Not sure if there any future pros there - I think Williams will get a deal & possibly Nico. Freddie Gard did well also.

Agree with most of the Old Gal's comments - After the Maidstone game I thought we were a bit lightweight & I thought the same last night - at one point there were about four 50/50 balls & we lost the lot. Can't afforf to give the opposition a 3 goal start.I was also impressed by the No 10 of Oxford - a biggish lad who was quick & smart IMO.We put a good move together to get a goal then didn't try the same approach again. Not sure if there any future pros there - I think Williams will get a deal & possibly Nico. Freddie Gard did well also.
And Jack Bridge and Ted Smith, surely? Ted was away with the England youthies last week and reports suggest they're really pleased with him.

I was amazed at the size of the two Oxford centre backs. About 7' tall and built like brick **** houses the pair of them! :stunned:

I thought they were ok - Ted didn't really do a lot wrong apart from concede 3 goals - one was poor defence- the second probably off side & the third a pen.
As for Jack B - I thought he was good in parts but they all gave the ball away too cheaply & then our 2 CB's who were throughly outdone in the first half improved in the second half - & Nico set up the goal nicely but apart from that was isolated for a lot of the game.
I am really commenting on the 2 games i've seen which isn't really enough - but I thought we would be a better than what i've seen- the team seemed to me to lack a bit of nouse that both Oxford & Maidstone had .

"...two Oxford centre backs. About 7' tall and built like brick **** houses the pair of them! "

And that was just their mums! :smile:

agree 2nd goal looked well offside to me, was right in line

Second goal was about three feet offside. It wasn't as if the lino wasn't up with play; he just called it wrong.

Notwithstanding that, I wasn't impressed. The positive second half just highlighted what might have been if we hadn't combined tactical ineptitude with too many basic errors in the first. Even after the three goal start, with a bit more luck we might have pushed them close although we were crying out for a change wide right where most of our attacks were floundering. I have still to be convinced about why Duncan is held in such high esteem, but there again I usually only see about one youth game a season.

... a youth team of a club at step 3 of the non-league pyramid shouldn't really have more nous than their League counterparts.

When we played Maidstone I predicted a heavy victory but it if hadn't been for Jason Williams we probably would have lost - they were stronger than us - whether or not they had more second year lads than us I do not know-but very few of our guys seem to be able to impose themselves in the games that i've witnessed.

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back