• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane FA Cup R1, Aylesbury United (A) - remember THAT game?!?

from their website

The men’s first team currently competes in the Pitching In Southern League Division One Central, but we have been without our own home ground for more than 15 years since we were evicted from our Buckingham Road stadium in Aylesbury in 2006

Ah yes remember it well! Overriding memory of that day was arriving back at Roots Hall and seeking consolation in several beers in the Shrimpers. John Adams (RIP) was in attendance and was most concerned about the depressed and subdued demeanor of a certain Southend fan legend, one Charlie Benson. "Don't let it ruin the Season for you Charlie" Says JA. Resulted in a stare of absolutely indignation from Charlie followed by the retort " Season John, that's just ruined my F***ing life"

Hercules never leaves my mind.
Yes. I had moved to Aylesbury in 1989. If I remember right the free kick was taken twice and the goal scorer (not Cliff Hercules I'm pretty sure) was unmarked both times. My desk on the following Monday was covered in Aylesbury United stuff. Cliff's wife actually worked at the same insurance company as I did.

Ref Hawkwell Blue's comment, I was down the front and Paul Sansome (I think!) did say they had been in Spain but that it had rained a lot and the swimming pool had overflown with rain water. I'm sure that was that game? Perhaps others can confirm.

Other than being at Kent Uni when we lost 1-8 to Gillingham, easily my worst day as a supporter at a match and that includes at least 2 relegations.

I think our players had just come back from a week in Spain for some reason. The view from the side of the pitch was good practice for the last three seasons!
They had ..i think if memory serves me right ..jobson paid for a week away for the team as a reward for beating spurs ...and the airport in spain was hit by torrential rain etc and was some doubt at one stage team would get back for the cup game

Hateful Day.
Stopped to ask directions and regretted it. The seriously challenged chap took forever to send us in the wrong direction.
I don't think we played that badly, but I do remember just two things: Mario Walsh, remember him? Running around chasing shadows, and Justin Edinburgh looking forlornly at the lino in the hope Cliff would not be top of the pops that night....ah, me...BUT not as bad as a much younger version of myself suffering the same humiliation at Yeovil in 1963. Now, that was the pits....

Hateful Day.
Stopped to ask directions and regretted it. The seriously challenged chap took forever to send us in the wrong direction.
I don't think we played that badly, but I do remember just two things: Mario Walsh, remember him? Running around chasing shadows, and Justin Edinburgh looking forlornly at the lino in the hope Cliff would not be top of the pops that night....ah, me...BUT not as bad as a much younger version of myself suffering the same humiliation at Yeovil in 1963. Now, that was the pits....
he played football more like Hank Marvin that day

Yes. I had moved to Aylesbury in 1989. If I remember right the free kick was taken twice and the goal scorer (not Cliff Hercules I'm pretty sure) was unmarked both times. My desk on the following Monday was covered in Aylesbury United stuff. Cliff's wife actually worked at the same insurance company as I did.

Ref Hawkwell Blue's comment, I was down the front and Paul Sansome (I think!) did say they had been in Spain but that it had rained a lot and the swimming pool had overflown with rain water. I'm sure that was that game? Perhaps others can confirm.

Other than being at Kent Uni when we lost 1-8 to Gillingham, easily my worst day as a supporter at a match and that includes at least 2 relegations.
Yes .Hercules went off injured after about 20 mins. I was even more confident we’d win ! Their winner came about 15 mins from the end.

And within 2 seasons we were in the 2nd division for 6 seasons shows how things can change, and if someone suggested that as I drove away after that game I might not of believed them.

Back