• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread England v Slovakia 30th Jun2024 17:00hrs ko.

What will the result be?

• Total voters

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
Here we go then, our first game outside of the group matches and we're up against Slovakia who finished 3rd in Group E. As England are finding, there are no easy games in this tournament and I'm sure we will find them tough opponents.

This is the stage where I expect England to come of age and give a performance we will be grudgingly impressed with, and take the game with a couple of goals margin. I say grudgingly as the knife is certainly in to our Gareth from a sizeable chunk of our supporters.

Normal pre match rubbish here then please and then the thread will morph into the Official Match thread on the day and then the Post match thread after that.

I'm going for a 3-1 England win, woo hoo.

Feeling weirdly optimistic about this one despite how rubbish we've been so far. The players know they haven't been good enough and hopefully have a point to prove against a side that on paper we should have no trouble with.

Play Cole Palmer - 3-0. Don’t play Cole Palmer - probably lose 0-1. Slovakia are another well drilled side - one we are certainly capable of beating but we have to get the ball in their box.

Imagine it will be similar to previous games, where we have the vast majority of the possession and the opponents sit back and look to hit on the counter. I'd like to see Palmer come in on the left, Foden move into the number 10 and Bellingham drop back alongside Rice. Jude's been anonymous in the last two games. If Shaw's fit, I'd also start him instead of Trippier who doesn't offer enough from left-back. Get some more balance in the team. Haven't seen any of Slovakia's games yet but they beat Belgium 1-0 in their first game so clearly aren't a bad team.

I think we'll get the job done although there is a fear this could be Southgate's 'Iceland moment'...

if no changes are made,maybe a dull 1-0 England..then get "rolled" over by Switzerland or beaten by another dull but rather lucky Italy.
But with a couple of changes,things could get better...but im not holding my breath.

Here's my word on the street. Only one change from Southgate. Mainoo to replace Gallagher. Tripper is having treatment, but O.K. so far.
With some players showing nothing like their club form, and some looking tired and slow, I think we can only get better. The draw has been very kind, and we'll never get a better chance to win this tournament. We just need to massively up our game, and so does Southgate, with more attacking tactics, and better substitutions.
I actually hope I'm wrong in the starting line up. Saka's had one brilliant half, but now looking tired. I would like to see Cole Palmer start instead. On the left I would like to see Anthony Gordon start. Foden's girlfriend has just had another baby, and he flew home and is now back, but looking knackered apparently. Maybe play Gordon the first 60 minutes, let him give it everything, then bring Foden on.

Last edited:
Going to be another wet day out here. Not read it anywhere but I can see the roof being closed today.
Went to the Germany v Denmark game last night, whilst not a classic it was a good game. No surprise, but the German fans were really loud. Dortmund with another 20k in there must be amazing. Been to Dortmund twice now this tournament and torrential rain both times.

As for England tonight I never make predictions..... apart from the fact I don't think there will be much difference in our style of play!

Tickets going for less than face value on some of the resale sites and the ESTC allocation availabilty went down to zero cappers shows a tailing off of support from even some loyal England fans.

I can't see Shaw starting. He's been out for such a long time. I can see him getting the last 20 mins or so, to ease him back in though

I can see us scoring in first 10 mins and going on to win 3-0, Switzerland game will go to extra time🙄

I just don’t see with all the attacking options we have that he must just go for it 3-5-2, the players we have are made for the formation it’s crazy, whe we attack teams we look very good, let other teams worry about us and not the other way round.

I know it's fashionable to lay into Southgate and the team, and after our last two performances they do deserve some constructive criticism, but I really hope we produce a performance that we can be proud of. And regardless of lack of interest, I can't wait for the game to start and I'm a bit excited as it's knockout time now. COME ON ENGLAND stuff these Eastern European Johnnies.🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

Sadly, I was right about the one change, Mainoo for Gallagher. But, we should beat this team, and we will play better. Kane, Bellingham and Rice, will all play better. Just need Southgate to replace knackered players earlier, after all, we have a strong bench.

Been to Slovakia twice..first game was poor but we won 2-1 in the rain
The second was Big Sams one and only game..another poor game 1-0.
So i expect another poor 1-0 win tonight.Thought GS would have rested either bellingham or Saka..both look knackered but he has not

Back