• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Eastleigh v Southend United, Saturday 12th October, 15:00 k.o., FA Cup 4QR

Starting XI and Result

• Total voters

Shrimpergonzo

Nanu, Nanu⭐🦐
Staff member
So our epic FA cup run (hopefully) starts at Eastleigh on Saturday, one of the few all National League ties in the round and against a team we’ve already beaten this season.

A reminder for younger viewers that we haven't won a game in the FA Cup since 16th October 2021 when we beat the mighty Chertsey Town 4-1 in the fourth qualifying round, that was followed by a 3-1 defeat at Chesterfield in the first round proper. Since then we lost 2-1 at Woking in 2022 and 2-0 at Yeovil in 2023 at the same stage of the competition as this weekend.

We haven't made the second round of the cup since winning 6-2 (after extra time) in a replay at Crawley on 20th November 2018, and we haven't made the third round (when the big boys join) since the 2013 season when we beat Morecambe, Chesterfield and Millwall before losing at home to Hull City in the fourth round.

It's therefore fair to say that a cup run is somewhat long overdue, and if the 2024/25 season is to be our year, then the run needs to start at the Silverlake Stadium, home of Kelvin Davis's Spitfires.

The national league form table doesn't make pretty reading for either side, with just a single win in the last 6 games for both teams.

Screenshot 2024-10-07 at 12.54.04.png

Eastleigh went 1-0 up in their last game at home to Forest Green Rovers on Saturday, however the visitors scored three without reply (the first by Harry Cardwell) in the second half to ease to a 3-1 victory. Striker Paul McCallum, an alleged one time target of ours, has scored 7 goals for Eastleigh so far this season but not scored for the last three games.

The three amigos have had another week on the training ground to try to come up with a plan to turn our fortunes around. The Maidenhead game showed how much we miss Harry Cardwell when defending set pieces, but rather than bemoan this we need to find someone else to stop big centre halves having free headers from free kicks and corners. Our midfield looks ponderous and sometimes I wonder if we’ve had a rugby union coach in telling our players that the ball can only be passed backwards! Our two new “Rolls Royce” signings in Moncur and Bonne are misfiring at the moment and little KAF, although trying hard, is too often muscled off the ball. Our highly rated young goalkeeper seems devoid of confidence, much like the rest of the team, and now prone to regular errors in his distribution.

Maybe the FA Cup is a chance for a reset, or to try something different- however one would imagine a win is also needed both for confidence and cash flow purposes.

So who would you choose to start, and what do you predict the result will be?

Last edited:
As you say this cup game offers Kev a more than usual quandary on selection. Should he rest Collin? Should be select Wind and Foran, Wood and Pepple?

A cup run would be a distraction from our league battle - a useful distraction or a hindrance?

Eastleigh try to play football which suits us so maybe we should put out our strongest team and go for it?

Hmmm........

As you say this cup game offers Kev a more than usual quandary on selection. Should he rest Collin? Should be select Wind and Foran, Wood and Pepple?

A cup run would be a distraction from our league battle - a useful distraction or a hindrance?

Eastleigh try to play football which suits us so maybe we should put out our strongest team and go for it?

Hmmm........
If he rests Collin, it's Gus in goal because Hillson doesn't appear in the poll... @Shrimpergonzo?

As you say, a win would be very useful as a confidence boost and a financial boost - both much needed. Yes it's only £9k for winning in the fourth round of qualifying but I think it's about £41k for winning in the first round proper. Our recent record in the cup is shocking so we are due at least a little run.

I'd give Hillson a runout in goal, let's see what he's like. A rest might do Collin good. Other than that, we don't really have many options for rotation - maybe Pepple for Bonne and Wood for Moncur since both have probably struggled with the number of games we've had recently.

Given our current form and record in the cup, I'm not confident, but then Eastleigh are in similar form themselves so I'm predicting a draw and a replay.

……..…. Collin
… Taylor Gubbins Ralph
Wind…… Morton….. Bridge
…. Appiah-Forson.. Husin
……. Pepple…. Walker

I don't care if it won't be the formation. Maher said he knows the answer and I'm hoping its ditching the current formation. I hope we give the other players a chance too. So...

Hilson
Wind crowther gubbins Ralph
Husin Morton
Kaf
Wood walker bridge

I said it on the Maidstone post match thread - all 7 subs from that game should start this one.

We're losing Gus for the next League game anyway so would make sense to give Wind a run-out

Last edited:
Back