• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Doing our bit

Bar na bas

Schoolboy⭐
I have hesitated to post this, but have decided to express some disappointment.

Not about the performance today, after all we still got a point, and there were games we played last season where we did not play well and lost by the odd goal. It is the first match of the season, after an incredibly stressful period for the management and players, not knowing if the club was going to make it to the start of the season, and it is not inconceivable that has had its effect. Who amongst has not known the effects of stress and anxiety on their performance at work, etc. We all hope that as that stress reduces and the players can just get on and enjoy their work, the football will flow freely, as it did at times last season.

No, my disappointment is for the 80 or so dedicated fans who turned up and gave of their time on Friday to help with the big clean up. People of all ages gave up a good few hours of their time. Loads of kids, attending with a parent or grandparent. Some people with limited mobility, including one dedicated man in his wheelchair. Sweeping stands, stairwells, and walkways which looked like they had not been swept for years; jet-washing seats and surfaces to clear them of the evidence of occupation by pigeons and foxes (that was truly quite unpleasant work); washing by hand all of the wooden seats and many of the plastic seats in areas; picking up litter. Justin did his bit cleaning seats in the north stand once he got back into the country. I was there for four hours, until I left as I needed to make sure my 89 year old mother with dementia was ok. But during my time there, I swept, bagged up what I had swept, and cleared up rubbish, going out of my way to pick up discarded sweet wrappers and empty bottles. I cleaned seats, including my season ticket seat and that of my cousin next to me, and the rest of that row as well, as I sit and chat with my neighbours. I even cleaned the seats of the guy and his son who every match last season, scoffed their burgers and dropped their rubbish under their seats. I felt proud of the efforts of the fans who turned up, there was a good atmosphere. And many people on shrimperzone and the Facebook page said a deserved well done to people who gave their time.

And so to matchday. It felt good to walk into the stand today and see areas looking a lot better than last season. And enter the fans, most of whom were not present for the clean-up. Maybe if they had been present, they would have had more of a sense of involvement and ownership of the effort, and less of a sense of entitlement that the ground should look good.

So, my disappointment was there when looking around the stand at the end of the match, and seeing the amount of rubbish left behind. Not just the tifo cards, but empty bottles, sweets wrappers, etc. If people want to have a drink and eat food, fine, but does it take much effort to actually take the rubbish away? Particularly when people have brought the food and drink in bags, just put it in the bag and dispose of it in the nearest bin.

I love walking in the countryside, and have walked much of the south west coast path in recent years, and recently walked Offa's Dyke in Wales. Walkers generally respect the countryside and I have seen very little rubbish on these walks, despite going for miles without seeing a bin. Why is that, do you think? It is because people put their rubbish in their rucksack or bag and carry it with them to dispose of responsibly. They care about their environment and the countryside which others will be passing through as well. Leaving rubbish all over the ground suggests to me the exact opposite, and also does not honour the people who worked so hard on Friday to get the ground ready. Also it takes staff time to clear up after the event. We know the club is short of money and resources. Let's do our bit to save staff time and resources, in as many ways as we can. Like the team today, we can do better.

Up the Shrimpers.

I was on litter picking duty on Friday and sadly knew the sense of satisfaction I had would quickly disappear the next day. I regularly litter pick with a local group and it is so dispiriting. Every bit we pick up, primarily McDonalds, vapes, cans of lager, Costa Coffee cups and KFC detritus, could have been taken home or put in a bin. People are tossers, literally.

You know, I sympathise, and I am the first to jump on the idea of taking your rubbish home with you at the beach or on a picnic, but a football ground is different. The rubbish is different. Who is honestly going to want to take a greasy burger box home...or on to the pub, if that's where you're going? There are insufficient bins around the ground so you rarely walk past one on your way out, if we wanted to be more serious about this, then we need more bins accessible on the way out.

I say this regarding the mess left every time and I do actually take home my empty bottles etc however, look around the stadium - there are no bins or none that I can see in the West where I sit so I think if the club placed some bins around they most likely would be used. I noticed it was particularly worse when I walked through the family stand yesterday

You know, I sympathise, and I am the first to jump on the idea of taking your rubbish home with you at the beach or on a picnic, but a football ground is different. The rubbish is different. Who is honestly going to want to take a greasy burger box home...or on to the pub, if that's where you're going? There are insufficient bins around the ground so you rarely walk past one on your way out, if we wanted to be more serious about this, then we need more bins accessible on the way out.
Agree with this my wife did pick up all her litter yesterday we all had a drink and a couple of bags of sweets after walking the entire stretch of the west and then the south lower looking for a bin she put it in the corner with other rubbish

My wife and myself was part of the clean up crew on Friday and it was a great effort by everyone involved . but we said yesterday all the cards given out with very little impact although paid for by a sponsor who is going to clear all mess up and pick them all up ? So all that cardboard used for a few minutes will be heading down the tip next week ☹️☹️

Problem is, if we have bins, will people use them? Look at the cinema, floors are disgusting after a film, yet usually a member of staff is stood at the exit with a black bag, people are just too lazy.
Staff at all exits with bin bags, and a pa announcement or two about keeping roots hall clean, its a culture that needs introducing and may take a little while but its totally doable.

More bins would certainly be a good idea but sadly there is quite a percentage of people in the world today who are, at best, thoughtless or, at worst, filthy, entitled, uncaring vermin*, who give not a toss for anyone else except their own selfish needs. One sees it everywhere, not least in the streets or on the roads.

I often take my granddaughters to the Movie Starr cinema on Canvey where they have large bins in which to put rubbish on exit, but look around after a film and the detritus left by some, seemingly normal, people is astonishing and I feel genuinely sorry for the poor kids who have to try and clear the place for the next showing.

So, whilst more bins will be a good idea and many will use them you will, unfortunately, still get the tossers who think that their crap is someone else's problem.

*probably the same ones that crap in the South Stand.

The thing is people will more than likely gave thrown the rubbish on the floor straight after finishing it. It's not like they have been holding onto it, failed to find a bin and then just dropped it.

I've always taken my rubbish home, including when I've eaten an East Srand burger. Quite easy it fold it up and hold it or pop it into my bag to dispose of when I next see a bin.

Problem is, if we have bins, will people use them? Look at the cinema, floors are disgusting after a film, yet usually a member of staff is stood at the exit with a black bag, people are just too lazy.
Some cinemas actually tell you to leave the rubbish on the floor so it can just be swept up.

Unfortunately with having bins around the ground they can be classed as fire risks.

It is five years since we got a new owner and we still have a band of volunteers who carry out a weekly programme of work on keeping the stadium looking nice, And I am sure our SLO has a crew of people who pick up rubbish, circulate with bin bags at the end of games and generally try to make it easier for people to do the right thing.

Back