• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
Reading Jack Sampsons interview in todays Echo, it's clear he only came to us because of our league position. I quote - "I had a few different options and a few clubs came in for me but one look at the league table will tell you why I chose to come here."
Now I know that many have moaned about our current style. I've been happy enough to accept it but have not been very entertained by what I see at home. However, it struck me that if this style enables us to get to the top 2-3 of this league - which we are - then it will enable us to attract better players. I mean, I know Sampson is only 18 but he is an U19 England international and has banged in something like 7 goals from 16 Bolton reserve games. Bolton play in a very, very competitive reserve league and both Manchester clubs reserve teams are like full Premiership squads!

Could this be one of the reasons why we have already signed 5 in the first 2 weeks of the window whereas before we struggled to get any business done at all, with players apparently just not wanting to come here?

WIth this in mind, I am now going to embrace our style of play and view it as the foundation for a stronger and better team. Paul Sturrock, I salute you.

:Worthy:

Paul Sturrock is the best Moomin we've ever had and we should all feel very optimistic about what he brings to the table. i.e Class, common sense, tactical brain, eye for a player and a brilliant man manager, which is why we are where we are. AND is why we will remain where we are.

Long live the moomin.

For Dave the Onion ......

Moomin
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Moomins (Swedish: Mumintroll) are the central characters in a series of books and a comic strip by Swedish-Finn illustrator and writer Tove Jansson, originally published in Swedish by Schildts[2] in Finland. They are a family of trolls who are white and roundish, with large snouts that make them resemble hippopotamuses. The carefree and adventurous family live in their house in Moominvalley, in the forests of Finland, though in the past their temporary residences have included a lighthouse and a theatre. They have many adventures along with their various friends.
In all, nine books were released in the series, with five picture books and a comic strip being released between 1945 and 1993.
The Moomins have since been the basis for numerous television series, films and even a theme park called Moomin World in Naantali, Finland.

Todays quiz, winner gets a pint bought in The Railway before the next home game, what the **** is OBD doing comparing PS to a bunch of Scandinavian trolls :dizzy:

Reading Jack Sampsons interview in todays Echo, it's clear he only came to us because of our league position. I quote - "I had a few different options and a few clubs came in for me but one look at the league table will tell you why I chose to come here."
Now I know that many have moaned about our current style. I've been happy enough to accept it but have not been very entertained by what I see at home. However, it struck me that if this style enables us to get to the top 2-3 of this league - which we are - then it will enable us to attract better players. I mean, I know Sampson is only 18 but he is an U19 England international and has banged in something like 7 goals from 16 Bolton reserve games. Bolton play in a very, very competitive reserve league and both Manchester clubs reserve teams are like full Premiership squads!

Could this be one of the reasons why we have already signed 5 in the first 2 weeks of the window whereas before we struggled to get any business done at all, with players apparently just not wanting to come here?

WIth this in mind, I am now going to embrace our style of play and view it as the foundation for a stronger and better team. Paul Sturrock, I salute you.

:Worthy:

In league 2 we are a bigger fish in a tiny pond... thus we're more attractive to players and easier to get players which are decent at this level. When in League 1 we will be a very average club with below par facilities and be much less attractive. When we got to the Championship we were practically last choice.

From what i know we made bids and offered deals for plenty of good players but they just didnt want to come to us as any other interest from Championship sides were more attractive.

The higher league we are in the tougher the job for the manager. Works same in all leagues. The big clubs in each division usually get to buy the best players.

i dont agree with this title. Getting better players is not a result of playing hoofball. Anyone can play hoofball. It does not necessarily mean you will be successful. You still have to be talented to work around the system. We arent winning purely because we have chosen to play hoofball. We play a more direct style of football and the players suit this style and the results are showing. There are many teams that do play direct football that are not as talented as us and arent getting good results.

Not sure about that when we've spent most of our existence in the arse end of the football league, despite our flirtations with the Championship/Div 2.

Totally agree but its all about now and not what happened 10+ years ago in a players mind of who he signs for.

Back