• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Demetriou's future with the Shrimpers yet to be resolved

Was there not some info posted on here from a reliable source that Kev was hoping to persuade JD to play on this season in a player/coach role but JD wants to hang up the boots? An opportunity to give JD a non playing role therefore may well have to wait until the playing side of things are finalised as Staffing mostly likely has a separate budget which may well be spoken for with existing staff and perspective roles of which JD purely as a coach was not in the planning. Interestingly before a recent game a family member of mine said to JD jokingly "not got your boots
with you today?" the response was,"them day's are gone unfortunately mate" It was said cheerfully but apparently didn't come across in a joking way. Another situation where time will tell I suppose.

Don’t get why this is taking so long?

Have we spaffed our entire budget on 18 players?

Looks ominous doesn’t it?

Maybe we’ve got enough funds earmarked to bring in one more player (Moncur?), which in turn means this deal can’t/won’t happen, along with any others we may have liked to bring in.

I wouldn't look into it too much, this isn't a simple playing contract. We don't know who wants what and it definitely isn't helpful to give the once "it's said on the internet it's fact" bunch the idea that we are already in trouble/at budget/out of money :ROFL:

Was there not some info posted on here from a reliable source that Kev was hoping to persuade JD to play on this season in a player/coach role but JD wants to hang up the boots? An opportunity to give JD a non playing role therefore may well have to wait until the playing side of things are finalised as Staffing mostly likely has a separate budget which may well be spoken for with existing staff and perspective roles of which JD purely as a coach was not in the planning. Interestingly before a recent game a family member of mine said to JD jokingly "not got your boots
with you today?" the response was,"them day's are gone unfortunately mate" It was said cheerfully but apparently didn't come across in a joking way. Another situation where time will tell I suppose.
Exactly that. JD wants to hang up his boots and concentrate on the coaching side. Kev thinks he would be a great option to have on the bench to come on incase of injuries / lack of numbers.

The article references more of a scouting role. Maybe something in that . Perhaps a deal to be struck around that whilst us funding Jasons coaching exams and he helps out a bit with that as well. Hate to lose him

Jason did brilliantly when called upon to play last season but perhaps he wants to hang up his boots with those memories. I really hope something can be sorted out for him in a coaching role, sounds like Kev wants to keep him at the club.

I guess the problem is with a limited budget and no functioning reserve team, is there really a need for another outfield coach?
True but we have given improved contracts to the whole raft of loyal players, including some perhaps who don’t offer a lot different. And then perhaps the player who is the loyalist of them all, playing every position , even caretaker manager and we still haven’t got anything in place..he would have been top of my list not bottom but there again we never know the full story…

Food for thought, maybe Demi feels enough is enough playing wise where his knees are now concerned. Given the bloke had to have regular injections last season, he may want to be able to walk normally for the rest of his life. If that is the case then any deal might be difficult to cut. I have no inside info here, but just suppose one of the amigos were to leave, then succession planning and Demi may be just the job. Was that not the scenario that Stan preached?

Make one available in his case in my opinion…he deserves it…. But not my decision….

This is where the lack of a reserve/under 23 team or youth department will hurt us again.

He’d be ideal to be moved into coaching the youth, or a manager of the reserves/under 23s, but we don’t have those positions thanks to RM.

I have absolutely nothing against Jason Demetriou but...

Why do people on this Forum seem obsessed with the need to sign up everyone of our half decent players on to the coaching staff when they get near 'retirement'?

If we had done that, we would have Barrett, Clark and Crown to name but a few on our enormous and ever expanding coaching team!

Apart from anything, good / great footballers don't necessarily translate in to good / great coaches.

I expect we've tabled a low ish offer for someone who despite being liked will be a bit part player and a 4th in line coach, and demi and agent are shopping around for coaching/assistant manager roles, plenty of youth team managers at bigger club.

At this point in his career he will be looking for the best opportunity, if none come along maybe he will stay.

Back