• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane December 1977 Div 4 Southend 4 Newport County 2.

I was there as a 12 year old with my mate and his Dad. 20 mins to go his Dad decided to leave! Vowed never to leave a game early again.

One of my first memories of following Southend, also must have been 12ish, went with my uncle what a game. Remember throwing the cushion from my seat onto the pitch from the east stand in celebration. Was that a thing, or did I just make that up?
'Must have been 12ish'? The uncertainty is rather odd seeing as the date of the match is given in the thread title. Are you unsure of your date of birth?

Remember this game well. Don’t think I ever remember a game where my old man insisted we left early. Our trouble was always getting to the game on time.

My first ever game at the Hall - if only they were all like that one. Talk about hooked!!
Think the Echo ran the back page for each goal as - The Appetiser, The Equaliser, The Tantaliser and The Pulveriser - or something along those lines.

One of my first memories of following Southend, also must have been 12ish, went with my uncle what a game. Remember throwing the cushion from my seat onto the pitch from the east stand in celebration. Was that a thing, or did I just make that up?
That was certainly a thing in those days. It started off with cushions being piled up near the East Stand turnstiles after entering, so those that wanted one, grabbed one. But so many got thrown onto the pitch, normally when things were going bad, or a bad ref's decision, after a bad loss, and sometimes in celebration like you, that they started charging for them. I didn't go in the East Stand very much at that time, only about 1 game a Season. But I'm sure they had a little cushion hut in the end, and you paid a small fee, but a bigger deposit that was returned on safe return of the cushions. And that stopped them being thrown onto the pitch.
Got me thinking now. I know many find the seats at Roots Hall very uncomfortable. I wonder if a fee and deposit for cushions would work nowadays? So ending up costing a fan maybe £3 per game to use a cushion, deposit returned. All money goes to help the clubs finances. It would bring in many thousands of pounds a season. It it was a concession hut, I wouldn't use one, but if the money went to the club, I would definitely. And I'm sure many fans would feel the same. Watch the game in a little bit more comfort, and help the club out at the same time. Sorry folks, back to that game. Yes, what a game in the end. You can't beat that feeling of coming out of Roots Hall, when something like that happens.

Last edited:
I was also at that game, sitting in the East Stand. If I am correct, the attendance was not very good, so I was able to have plenty of room. It is possibly one of the most long standing memories I have when watching Southend United. As you can see when the "bug" gets hold of you, it is impossible to shake it off.

I was also at that game, sitting in the East Stand. If I am correct, the attendance was not very good, so I was able to have plenty of room. It is possibly one of the most long standing memories I have when watching Southend United. As you can see when the "bug" gets hold of you, it is impossible to shake it off.
Yes my late dad and I were in East stand too for this one, I was 14, if I remember correctly. It was still the time you could buy plastic cushions for about 2p and if the match was bad they used to be chucked on the pitch as the players dashed off!

Back