• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Can't access Southend on the radio?

CrippsCorner

Striker
Hi sorry if this has been posted about already.

I can't find us on BBC radio! If I go to non-league commentary on BBC Sport app, it tells me to go to BBC Essex... which I do, and every time it says they're covering Southend United, but when I click in to listen, it's actually Braintree!? I've only managed to find one game so far, and that was listening to the opposing team's coverage.

This is frustrating. What am I doing wrong? I know we didn't have Braintree in the league last year to steal the coverage lol, but I certainly didn't have any trouble previously 😶

It's a bit hidden now, it is there but hard to find. Also, if outside the UK you will need a VPN. Usually someone posts a link on the match thread.

The most reliable way to grab the BBC Essex commentaries seems to be via the website rather than the app.
On matchday, go to:

You should be able to see a link to a page titled 'LIsten: non-league commentaries' or similar. Click that and you'll find a list of available commentaries, but not the links themselves. Those are hidden behind a tab within the page called 'Watch & listen'. This is Saturday's page so you can see what I mean (though obviously the live commentary links are gone from the tab):

No VPN required for accessing the commentaries in this way from outside the UK, at least not in my experience.

Thanks, but even there it says both Braintree & Southend are on BBC Radio Essex... but every game I've tried, it defaults to Braintree. Is there two feeds or something?

1724754584838.png

Go to 95.3 FM for BBC Essex (South). This has the Southend Commentary.
103.5 is also BBC Essex (but North), where you get to hear the joyless monotony of ColU.

However, these work best if you are in the right part of the County. I used to live in Braintree and was often reduced to sitting in the car and listening because I couldnt get 95.3 in the house!

You can also get these both on DAB radio.

As far as I am aware, all the Braintree games are online this season.

Thanks, but even there it says both Braintree & Southend are on BBC Radio Essex... but every game I've tried, it defaults to Braintree. Is there two feeds or something?

View attachment 33621
I think the way they manage this sometimes is to have one game 'on BBC Sounds' and one game 'via the BBC website'. Think of it as ms brush says above, where BBC Essex simultaneously broadcasts Southend and Colchester games over the airwaves when they clash, but on different frequencies. So just like if you tune to 103.5, you'll always get Colchester, if you go to BBC Sounds you'll probably always get Braintree.

If I'm not watching on NLTV, I'm listening via the BBC website (via browser, either on desktop or my phone -NOT the BBC Sounds app). Unless there's a tech problem at the ground itself, that's where Southend commentaries will invariably be and have been for a few years now.

Hi sorry if this has been posted about already.

I can't find us on BBC radio! If I go to non-league commentary on BBC Sport app, it tells me to go to BBC Essex... which I do, and every time it says they're covering Southend United, but when I click in to listen, it's actually Braintree!? I've only managed to find one game so far, and that was listening to the opposing team's coverage.

This is frustrating. What am I doing wrong? I know we didn't have Braintree in the league last year to steal the coverage lol, but I certainly didn't have any trouble previously 😶
I had this problem on Saturday.In the end I went to bbc sport,national league and went to the live scores and there was a tab watch and listen which came up the correct match

Okay thanks, I'll try the website this weekend!

It's just strange that BBC Sounds says it's playing Southend... but then it doesn't 😒

I've noticed the 'Listen to non-league' page on the BBC appears quite late before kick-off.
Last Saturday, maybe 2.45pm? But the format is much the same as previous seasons.
The other window to look for once on that site is 'Watch and Listen' that usually singles out the games available.
Clicking on the Blues match should link you, providing you're not trying to listen from Latvia!

Same here. Even when someone has been kind enough to put the link on the match thread, it still doesn’t work!
Saturday I had to refresh SZ to keep in the loop. (To which I am grateful for)

Same here. Even when someone has been kind enough to put the link on the match thread, it still doesn’t work!
Saturday I had to refresh SZ to keep in the loop. (To which I am grateful for)
Essentially They've changed the page so you have to click on watch and listen .
Even when you do that and find southends commentary if you copy that link it just takes you back to the page where you have to click watch and listen again.

Bunch of arse basically.

Back