• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Should Phil Brown be sacked?

• Yes - sack him

Votes: 165 55.6%
  • No - he deserves more time

Votes: 132 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm watching luton v villa.

Ex blue Nathan jones is manager of luton and is doing a very good job. Luton are playing some decent stuff. And are actually the better side against a very experienced villa side.

Which sums up your opinion. You don't like the bloke no matter the success....which is completely up
to you....but surely if he wins every game for remainder of the season (very unlikely I grant you) you will won't like him...?

He is egotistical, always out for himself. Negative tactics, not using the players to their strengths, blames everyone except himself and has no plan B. We were promoted via the play offs when we should have gained auto promotion and made a real balls up of the second half of last season. Any players that dared have an opinion were shipped out. We took him on when he had been out of work for 18 months and couldn't get a job elsewhere. Why should I like him really?

He is egotistical, always out for himself. Negative tactics, not using the players to their strengths, blames everyone except himself and has no plan B. We were promoted via the play offs when we should have gained auto promotion and made a real balls up of the second half of last season. Any players that dared have an opinion were shipped out. We took him on when he had been out of work for 18 months and couldn't get a job elsewhere. Why should I like him really?

1 million likes for this.

He also buggered up the playoff final that Sturrock bequeathed him. Ok, not fully his fault maybe but the more time goes on the more you have to wonder if someone a modicum less clueless might have made more of the opportunity

He also buggered up the playoff final that Sturrock bequeathed him. Ok, not fully his fault maybe but the more time goes on the more you have to wonder if someone a modicum less clueless might have made more of the opportunity

Yep, he dropped the players that got us there, the likes of Ben Reeves and played Mohsni in midfield. Clueless

What about the old millwall manager can't remember his name ,got Blackpool to the premier

IBFjeoZ5Oewhi.gif

I was reading this whilst watching the short video you have under your messages :winking:

Got us promoted with our highest ever points total
Stabalised us in the league above
Increased average attendances

Got us promoted with our highest ever points total
Stabalised us in the league above
Increased average attendances

Look, just because you've hitched your username wagon to PB doesn't mean we'll all suddenly believe we were wrong after all. He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy.

Golden rule of the zone...If you don't know the truth blame Brown.

Golden rule of rigsby .... defend Brown under all circumstances. Are you being paid to provide such unswerving (and undeserved) support or do you actually believe what you write ?

Most of which were dead rubbers at the end of the season with half a squad who are no longer here. If we'd won half of those losses last season we would still be sitting here today with zero points this season.

We've had a transfer window open for three months and now people want to make a change three weeks before it shuts. With no emergency loans anymore a change is pointless - a new guy would have no time to put a squad together and would be stuck with Phil Brown's team anyway.

We've had loads of successful seasons in which we have started slowly.

As I've said before, they weren't dead rubbers at the start of the slump, it was the slump that made them irrelevant. And how does that excuse our abysmal form? It's OK to lose because we can't go up or down? It's the managers job to motivate the players and PB clearly isn't motivating them at the moment.

In answer to your second point, I think PB's current squad is capable of significantly better performances than PB is managing to get out of them, and I think there are unemployed managers out there, already mentioned in this thread, who could significantly improve our results without wholesale changes.

Golden rule of rigsby .... defend Brown under all circumstances. Are you being paid to provide such unswerving (and undeserved) support or do you actually believe what you write ?

Golden rule of Mick....Never like anyone else's opinion other than his own.

Phil is NOT a bad manager, or a bad bloke most of the time, he does like most blokes keep repeating similar mistakes AND his archilles heal is that he does not know how to get some attack/goals into the squad.

And like ACU I too think this is a better set of players than started last season, which is a credit to PB: BUT if he doesn't work out how he wants them to perform, and what is his best regular starting & winning side pdq then, he (and we) have BIG problems.

Phil is NOT a bad manager, or a bad bloke most of the time, he does like most blokes keep repeating similar mistakes AND his archilles heal is that he does not know how to get some attack/goals into the squad.

And like ACU I too think this is a better set of players than started last season, which is a credit to PB: BUT if he doesn't work out how he wants them to perform, and what is his best regular starting & winning side pdq then, he (and we) have BIG problems.

Good analysis, Massimo. I think PB is desperate to do well at Southend and does not deserve all the flak heading his way at the moment. But I am concerned that he is going to bring in a centre-back that is not tall enough to cope with the sort of aerial threat that Southend will face on a weekly basis in League 1. I hope I am wrong.

Good analysis, Massimo. I think PB is desperate to do well at Southend and does not deserve all the flak heading his way at the moment. But I am concerned that he is going to bring in a centre-back that is not tall enough to cope with the sort of aerial threat that Southend will face on a weekly basis in League 1. I hope I am wrong.

That's my fear too. The last thing we need is another centre back who is barely 6ft tall. We won't see the best of either Barratt or Sokolik until we sign an aerially dominant partner for them.

As I've said before, they weren't dead rubbers at the start of the slump, it was the slump that made them irrelevant. And how does that excuse our abysmal form? It's OK to lose because we can't go up or down? It's the managers job to motivate the players and PB clearly isn't motivating them at the moment.

In answer to your second point, I think PB's current squad is capable of significantly better performances than PB is managing to get out of them, and I think there are unemployed managers out there, already mentioned in this thread, who could significantly improve our results without wholesale changes.

Its been two games. Yes of course we should expect that they should be better than losing every game, but that's making a judgement based on a tiny sample of evidence.

Whilst the form at the end of last season was awful I didnt actually think the squad we had was particularly strong last season.
A mid table finish overall was about right I thought. We should be better than the run of results we had in the slump, but we over performed early on.

Whilst the performanced towards the end has to be taken into consideration it also has to be recognised that this is not the same team that finished the season and do need some time to bed in before being judged. They wont get as long as a normal season though because of last season.

Are the current squad better than before? Not sure that can be backed up after two games against the same team when we played a pretty different side both times. I think we have improved with Cox and Demetriou but neither has shown much yet although its early days. Bentley and Payne havent been improved on and so far centre half positions havent improved. Even Worrall who wasnt even a first starter I cant see has been improved on out wide.

Time will tell if the squad is underperforming or not, if we are sitting here after another 3 games without a win then I think Phill will be gone though.

A tall commanding centre half is definitely what we all want and need, but worth bearing in mind so far only 1 of the 6 goals we conceded was over knee height.

Most of those defeats were dead rubbers. We were always outsiders for the Play-Offs and any hopes we did have evaporated pretty early on.

PB's current squad has played one league game. One time, over 90 minutes 11 other blokes put a ball into a net more time than our 11 blokes did. That happens. I'm sure that there are plenty of managers out there who could do better jobs. There are also plenty of managers out there who couldn't. Either way, I like supporting a Club who show loyalty in its managers, especially those who have got the Club in a far stronger position than it was in when he found it.

Most of those defeats were dead rubbers. We were always outsiders for the Play-Offs and any hopes we did have evaporated pretty early on.

PB's current squad has played one league game. One time, over 90 minutes 11 other blokes put a ball into a net more time than our 11 blokes did. That happens. I'm sure that there are plenty of managers out there who could do better jobs. There are also plenty of managers out there who couldn't. Either way, I like supporting a Club who show loyalty in its managers, especially those who have got the Club in a far stronger position than it was in when he found it.

you old pragmatist you. ps I agree. better the devil you know and all that.

Strange how when we lost to Walsall, Brighton and Swindon at the start of last season nobody was saying "but we won seven in a row last April"

The same posters who demand to see young non league talent given a chance, Jump straight on the managers back for playing our very own Ted Smith and Jack Bridge in meaningless end of season games.

All managers know this is what happens and that is why we don't see young players given their chance at any level of the professional game.

We even had some absolute clowns, whining about PB bringing on some of the under 21's against Newcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back