• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Should Phil Brown be sacked?

• Yes - sack him

Votes: 165 55.6%
  • No - he deserves more time

Votes: 132 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair to Ayrshire I think he wanted to make the change more than 3 months ago....

But the important question is how much confidence do you have in PB recruiting the right type of players in this transfer window? If you were chairman would you sign off on him making a £250,000 (transfer fee and wages) investment?

I reckon he'll get in another central defender but it'll probably be one who can also play right-back rather than the aerially dominant one we've needed ever since he drove out Bolger.
Golden rule of the zone...If you don't know the truth blame Brown.

Fair but I seriously doubt having Payne and Bentley would have changed the result of the last two games.

They may not have, but I reckon Deegan would've made a difference in both games. The way gills controlled the midfield was scary, deegan could've broke that up a few times I reckon.

When we win a few games everyone will be saying PB is the best manager ever, one league game and one loss this season, is that so bad? One game don't make season

When we win a few games everyone will be saying PB is the best manager ever, one league game and one loss this season, is that so bad? One game don't make season

Youll often find form/confidence is carried through to a new season though, Leicester are the prime example of that (maybe a extreme example but they carried their form and it never stopped) same with teams getting relegated twice on the bounce, form can be carried so easily.

Youll often find form/confidence is carried through to a new season though, Leicester are the prime example of that (maybe a extreme example but they carried their form and it never stopped) same with teams getting relegated twice on the bounce, form can be carried so easily.

plenty of examples where it doesn't also.

I don't think PB will be sacked in the near future, but if he ends up leaving for Hull or another club, then I'd like us to go for one of the following:

Chris Powell
Kenny Jacket
Paul Lambert
Danny Cowley
Kit Symons

In that order.

Golden rule of the zone...If you don't know the truth blame Brown.
Out of interest, what is the truth then? There can be no questioning that Bolger went for whatever reason and has not been replaced.

I don't think PB will be sacked in the near future, but if he ends up leaving for Hull or another club, then I'd like us to go for one of the following:

Chris Powell
Kenny Jacket
Paul Lambert
Danny Cowley
Kit Symons

In that order.

Why Chris Powell?

Out of interest, what is the truth then? There can be no questioning that Bolger went for whatever reason and has not been replaced.

Probably the same truth involved in him falling out with Payne, Worrall and Prosser too.

sorry mate, but I have to disagree with these 2 statements - last season we had no decent front line and we weren't good enough & RM is part of the whole issue, like Brown he needs to up his game

Don't apologise. SZ would be a very boring place if we all agreed. Anyone who knows my posting history on here knows that RM never has escaped and never will escape my ire! But i do blame the second half of last season on Brown. I feel that our strikers were capable of plenty more goals than they achieved in the end but we were never set up to create "strikers' chances". Our tactics, style of football and the instructions given to certain individuals nullify our goalscoring capabilities. There were goals elsewhere in the team too, namely Leonard and Wordsworth, but the things they are being asked to do and the way they are being asked to play (which they look and have looked uncomfortable with the whole time) don't allow them tomdo what they are good at. They are shackled. The whole team is shackled creatively by the manager's stifling tactics. They don't play with any verve or freedom, they don't look comfotable or secure doing what theyve been coached/instructed to do, and many of them look like theyre justbnot enjoying their football.

Give it 10 games. Give him a chance to get his prefered first 11 on the pitch & see where we are then. If nothing's changed then yes he has to go. I'm not one for sacking managers at the drop of a hat but if the poor form continues something has to give. Plus he's lost a lot of goodwill with the constant touting himself for 'better' jobs. As mentioned before, there won't be many offers after getting sacked by us.

He doesn't know and never has known what his best 11 is.

Yep, but are they any better off changing managers, that's the point.

There's more clubs than not that change manager over and over and get nowhere.

We have stayed loyal to two managers that have got us back from nothing and no players at all on the books, to respectability in League One.

I'd say that was a success story, compared to many clubs in the bottom two divisions over the last 7-8 years or so.

We can't keep thinking like that. There comes a stage when a change and some fresh ideas are needed. That time is rapidly approaching if not here already. Fearing being seen as a revolving door and keeping things as they are for longer than we should will probably have more potential forna detrimental effect than making a change now would.

Sturrock cleared our mess up. Now we have egotistical bloke in charge who thinks he is worthy of a role with England who only seems arsed about signing 'marquee' strikers rather than worrying about the poor quality of the rest of the pitch. All this good work can quickly be undone.

This was my problem too. Too much time talking about other jobs, chasing "marquee signings"/players out of our reach, and going back to former mediocre players rather than targeting weak areas and sorting them out early. Name-dropping former mediocre loanees as possible signings when he's run out of fresh ideas and scouting knowledge is what annoys me.

It doesn't matter how many we win, I'll never be saying that

Which sums up your opinion. You don't like the bloke no matter the success....which is completely up
to you....but surely if he wins every game for remainder of the season (very unlikely I grant you) you will won't like him...?

If I was Ron Martin, having made the decision NOT to sack Brown over the summer I certainly wouldn't be about to do it 1 league game into the season. There's always 1 club in the pyramid that ditches their manager after 1 or 2 games and that club is generally laughed at by the rest of us.

If I was a league 1 chairman looking to appoint a manager at this particular point in time my shortlist would be Cotterill, Jackett, Warnock. Whilst these aren't necessarily blokes I warm to, their track record makes them stand out from the pack. A sensible league 1 chairman who thought a change may be needed would put out the feelers whilst weighing up what he's going to do with the manager he has already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back