• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Should Phil Brown be sacked?

• Yes - sack him

Votes: 165 55.6%
  • No - he deserves more time

Votes: 132 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed about moving forward as a club and part of that is to consolidate and prepare and be ready.

At the moment, I think PB's ambition is greater than the pot we have to support that. Call it egotistical on his part or naïve, but realistically we aren't a club in a position to get into the Championship and survive, as much as we all would love that and none moreso than PB himself.

There are issues on the pitch, nobody doubts that, but it's not always the answer to sack the manager, especially when we are actually in a better position than when he took over.

The next few months might involve grinding out results and getting a settled side. It might not be pretty, but I'd take some clean sheets and some ugly football for a while.

One thing I would say is that PB needs to nail his colours to our mast for a while and get that stability started from the top. It can't just be a coincidence that our form dips when he is linked elsewhere.

Personally, I think he is the right fit at the moment, but everyone needs to knuckle down and put in some 100% performances for the club. Chairman, manager and players.

You forgot fans as well.

I can understand why the knives are out for Phil, but I would also say Ron is culpable - football at all levels is now a rich mans game, he needs to either invest in the squad or sell up. Look at the subs bench last night, total joke that we have only Williams to fall back on, Gilligham have several injuries and they have a significantly better squad than us. Looking at the match programme on Satruday they had about 7 or 8 additional squad players than us, with the injuries we are down to bare bones.

If RM does not deliver Jay Simpson and fund the recruitment of a solid CB and CM then there is no point in him staying. Time and time again he has failed the club in delivering the stadium, and God knows how many decent player have passed our door due to his lack of financial backing.

Easy to blame PB, but the fault also lies at RMs door.

I understand we tried to get JET in on loan, but I bet RM wouldn't pay his salary - big mistake

Regardless of whether PB stays, RM needs to invest in 3 or 4 decent top Lge 1 standard players, otherwise we will struggle whoever is in charge of team affairs...

I have no idea if yopu are correct or not . I do know that in his interview last night Phil spoke a lot about JET and a lot about getting in new players. He also sais that JET was the difference between the two teams. At no point did he say that we ahd tried to sign him and he had ample opportunity and reason to do so

I have no idea if yopu are correct or not . I do know that in his interview last night Phil spoke a lot about JET and a lot about getting in new players. He also sais that JET was the difference between the two teams. At no point did he say that we ahd tried to sign him and he had ample opportunity and reason to do so
Don't think so lowly of Phil, he got his excuses in much earlier and said it on Saturday

2016 form 5 wins, 4 draws, 16 defeats. Bin.

Most of which were dead rubbers at the end of the season with half a squad who are no longer here. If we'd won half of those losses last season we would still be sitting here today with zero points this season.

We've had a transfer window open for three months and now people want to make a change three weeks before it shuts. With no emergency loans anymore a change is pointless - a new guy would have no time to put a squad together and would be stuck with Phil Brown's team anyway.

We've had loads of successful seasons in which we have started slowly.

Agreed about moving forward as a club and part of that is to consolidate and prepare and be ready.

At the moment, I think PB's ambition is greater than the pot we have to support that. Call it egotistical on his part or naïve, but realistically we aren't a club in a position to get into the Championship and survive, as much as we all would love that and none moreso than PB himself.

There are issues on the pitch, nobody doubts that, but it's not always the answer to sack the manager, especially when we are actually in a better position than when he took over.

The next few months might involve grinding out results and getting a settled side. It might not be pretty, but I'd take some clean sheets and some ugly football for a while.

One thing I would say is that PB needs to nail his colours to our mast for a while and get that stability started from the top. It can't just be a coincidence that our form dips when he is linked elsewhere.

Personally, I think he is the right fit at the moment, but everyone needs to knuckle down and put in some 100% performances for the club. Chairman, manager and players.

Very true, it's not coincidental that our 'form' dips when PB's head is turned. He's like a lecherous old man, maybe that's why he's often spotted down the seafront?

Maybe we should chip in for a set of 'blinkers' similar to those they put on racehorses

Most of which were dead rubbers at the end of the season with half a squad who are no longer here.

We've had a transfer window open for three months and now people want to make a change three weeks before it shuts. With no emergency loans anymore a change is pointless - a new guy would have no time to put a squad together and would be stuck with Phil Brown's team anyway.

We've had loads of successful seasons in which we have started slowly.

To be fair to Ayrshire I think he wanted to make the change more than 3 months ago....

But the important question is how much confidence do you have in PB recruiting the right type of players in this transfer window? If you were chairman would you sign off on him making a £250,000 (transfer fee and wages) investment?

I reckon he'll get in another central defender but it'll probably be one who can also play right-back rather than the aerially dominant one we've needed ever since he drove out Bolger.

Don't think so lowly of Phil, he got his excuses in much earlier and said it on Saturday

cheers , thanks for that. I am very surprised he didn't mention it . He did say that he would be very interested to know how much they were paying for him.

I'm not PB's greatest fan but any manager needs 10 games to allow him time to settle in his new team, new formation etc. We've lost two of our best players and it's too early to tell how the new boys will fare. Gillingham always are tough opponents and JET looks the real deal. So, eight more games to go Phil......

Nope, that's not the agents fault. That's something wrong with the way we defend at set-pieces.

The point is, that EVERYTHING is being laid at PB's door. Some of it with merit, but there are plenty of extenuating circumstances that are also contributory factors.
as my father used to say to me, the criticism is a privilege of rank... He is the guiding light on players recruitment tactics and all things football.... He chooses the players coming in and out .... He is the manager and takes the plaudits when he wins but by the same token the crap when we lose EIGHT not two on the bounce

as my father used to say to me, the criticism is a privilege of rank... He is the guiding light on players recruitment tactics and all things football.... He chooses the players coming in and out .... He is the manager and takes the plaudits when he wins but by the same token the crap when we lose EIGHT not two on the bounce

The players take the plaudits more than the manager in today's football, I think. But the manager's are the first to go... very little done about bad performance internally apart from being dropped. It's no threat to a player's livelihood... that's a whole different debate.

I'm not PB's greatest fan but any manager needs 10 games to allow him time to settle in his new team, new formation etc. We've lost two of our best players and it's too early to tell how the new boys will fare. Gillingham always are tough opponents and JET looks the real deal. So, eight more games to go Phil......

Fair but I seriously doubt having Payne and Bentley would have changed the result of the last two games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back