• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Should Phil Brown be sacked?

• Yes - sack him

Votes: 165 55.6%
  • No - he deserves more time

Votes: 132 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to Disagree with you there Tommy.

Port Vale have an awesome squad, and again I expect to lose again 3-1 (that result sounds familiar??)... just like we did last away to them.

Their chairman, Smurf has spent a stupid amount of money on new players and his new Portuguese manager, also they still have Ex shrimper Anthony Grant (that was in the league one team of the week last weekend). I think they will be also promotion contenders come Christmas.

As for Sheffield Utd? A big club, with quality supporters, and a solid team. My prediction is that we might get 1 point from those 2 games... where we get it from though is anyone's guess.

Anyway, Ron won't pull the plug so soon, more likely end of September or October.

You are talking complete and utter BS. Some of the stuff spouted on here is actually laughable. Port Vale have a new Portuguese manager and a new squad of foreign players not even their own fans know if they are any good, then there's you saying that they have an awesome squad, absolutely clueless.

It's not always about players, though.

It's more about agents in their ear, negotiating the best financial package for their stars (and themselves). Agents will always point a player in the direction of the biggest pot of gold. Footballers, in the main, are mercenaries and we have a budget in the lower half of league one.

Can we stop making excuses for a bloke who has been unable to organise our defence in being able to defend set-pieces for over a year or is that agents fault n all.

This is a joke, I have had to sign up to the forum just to defend PB. It's one league game in, we have injuries and still looking at signing a few people. Give it a few months before jumping on his back. A week ago people where getting excited with the squad we had/looking to assemble

Nope, that's not the agents fault. That's something wrong with the way we defend at set-pieces.

The point is, that EVERYTHING is being laid at PB's door. Some of it with merit, but there are plenty of extenuating circumstances that are also contributory factors.

Nope, that's not the agents fault. That's something wrong with the way we defend at set-pieces.

The point is, that EVERYTHING is being laid at PB's door. Some of it with merit, but there are plenty of extenuating circumstances that are also contributory factors.

We've played the same way under him ever since he joined. Pass sideways, create little. Personnel has changed, the way we play doesn't. There is no sign of improvement or a plan B. He's had all summer. GO

Give it 10 games. Give him a chance to get his prefered first 11 on the pitch & see where we are then. If nothing's changed then yes he has to go. I'm not one for sacking managers at the drop of a hat but if the poor form continues something has to give. Plus he's lost a lot of goodwill with the constant touting himself for 'better' jobs. As mentioned before, there won't be many offers after getting sacked by us.

Just about every lower league manager has constraints and extenuating circumstances but very few survive in the job after the results we have suffered this year. PB may not have his first choice squad but he can't even get the best out of the players he fields. That is mismanagement and not management.

This is a joke, I have had to sign up to the forum just to defend PB. It's one league game in, we have injuries and still looking at signing a few people. Give it a few months before jumping on his back. A week ago people where getting excited with the squad we had/looking to assemble

What's a joke is our form this calendar year, our defending of set pieces, our tactical naivety and all-round ineptitude. The trouble is, no-one is laughing.

Give it 10 games. Give him a chance to get his prefered first 11 on the pitch & see where we are then. If nothing's changed then yes he has to go. I'm not one for sacking managers at the drop of a hat but if the poor form continues something has to give. Plus he's lost a lot of goodwill with the constant touting himself for 'better' jobs. As mentioned before, there won't be many offers after getting sacked by us.

He's preferred 11 is a scary thought. 90% of his signings are crap. No surprise the longer we go on and the more of his signings we have on the pitch the worse we get.

I've given it 8 months and a whole pre-season - same mistakes, same inept tactics.

Yep, but are they any better off changing managers, that's the point.

There's more clubs than not that change manager over and over and get nowhere.

We have stayed loyal to two managers that have got us back from nothing and no players at all on the books, to respectability in League One.

I'd say that was a success story, compared to many clubs in the bottom two divisions over the last 7-8 years or so.

We have stayed loyal to two managers that have got us back from nothing and no players at all on the books, to respectability in League One.

I'd say that was a success story, compared to many clubs in the bottom two divisions over the last 7-8 years or so.

Can't disagree on the success side. The problem is, as with anything, we have to move forward and being satisfied with our yesterday's is not enough. Thus far PB is not looking to be the one that moves us forward from here.

Sturrock cleared our mess up. Now we have egotistical bloke in charge who thinks he is worthy of a role with England who only seems arsed about signing 'marquee' strikers rather than worrying about the poor quality of the rest of the pitch. All this good work can quickly be undone.

He's preferred 11 is a scary thought. 90% of his signings are crap. No surprise the longer we go on and the more of his signings we have on the pitch the worse we get.

You are right about his signings. This is an area where he has mainly failed to convince. Our best players over the last two years have come through our youth system or signed by previous manager.

Well said. Do we want to become one of those clubs that sacks their manager every year? Ron can be criticised for many things but he does give managers time and deserves credit for that.

Obviously Brown needs to live by his results and if things don't improve in the next month or so then it needs to be looked at, but the reaction of some of our fans after two defeats - both to the same team and a good team at that - is hysterical.

I am told it was at least 42 of the 72 league clubs who had a change of manager during last season alone. Some of them more than once. The modern football fan all ways wants 'success' and blames the manager when its not instant.

Like I keep asking these people......Name the clubs apart from Burton, with a smaller turn over, who finished above us in the football league last season.

Can't disagree on the success side. The problem is, as with anything, we have to move forward and being satisfied with our yesterday's is not enough. Thus far PB is not looking to be the one that moves us forward from here.

Agreed about moving forward as a club and part of that is to consolidate and prepare and be ready.

At the moment, I think PB's ambition is greater than the pot we have to support that. Call it egotistical on his part or naïve, but realistically we aren't a club in a position to get into the Championship and survive, as much as we all would love that and none moreso than PB himself.

There are issues on the pitch, nobody doubts that, but it's not always the answer to sack the manager, especially when we are actually in a better position than when he took over.

The next few months might involve grinding out results and getting a settled side. It might not be pretty, but I'd take some clean sheets and some ugly football for a while.

One thing I would say is that PB needs to nail his colours to our mast for a while and get that stability started from the top. It can't just be a coincidence that our form dips when he is linked elsewhere.

Personally, I think he is the right fit at the moment, but everyone needs to knuckle down and put in some 100% performances for the club. Chairman, manager and players.

Ron has provided players, above and beyond sometimes, throughout the Sturrock and Brown reigns. Instead of making claims and accusations, why don't you show us the evidence that it was RM's lack of money that prevented JET from joining us. I know if I were JET I would research an approaching club and as a striker I would not sign on with PB in a million years. The strikers that do are always 'damaged'. Getting older and still after paydays, consistently injured and grateful for whatever, best form long gone and options reducing... These are the types we can sign but they will not make the grade.

We have had a few players not on the lowest wages but they have not delivered the goods. I think it is more than coincidence that we cannot land our preferred targets and I do not think it is anything to do with finances.

Yes, RM has provided ‘players’, but I wouldn’t say there are many that fall into the ‘above and beyond’ category, possibly Cox and Demetriou this season and maybe McLaughlin (on his day), last season. Regarding JET I am just ‘reading between the lines’, as I do not believe that the Gills are in anyway a bigger draw than us, and I really do not believe that the deal-breaker was playing under PB (certainly not to play for Justin over him?), it must have been down to who offered QPR the biggest % of his Championship salary. And it clearly wasn’t us…

Yes, we have ended up with last chance saloon / injury prone forwards - but again this is down to money, or lack of it.

Hopefully it will change, Cox will come good if he gets a decent strike partner and service.

Additionally I blame RM for allowing our 2 best players to fall out of contract, this i a business end transaction. PB has some major issues right now, but the problem runs deeper.

I still think we will beat Port Vale and we'll be having a different conversation next week (hopefully...).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back