• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Should Phil Brown be sacked?

• Yes - sack him

Votes: 165 55.6%
  • No - he deserves more time

Votes: 132 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Losing to Fleetwood and Bristol Rovers at home with performances like the last two may possibly seal his fate given our form in 2016

OMG!.. and you had a pop earlier at OBL about marketing research regarding the content for match programmes!!

We now have 3 pages of when Phil will get his P45??.... this Shrimper zone is sadly sounding as divided as I have ever known for many years.

Listen up people... we have just lost 2 games.... against only one team, and they are a strong club, with promotion credentials.. We will probably lose to them again, when we face them away... but believe me...

It is a fact!!.. we will lose again this season... many times... both home and away!... but I believe we will win and draw many times also!! and comfortably avoid the drop.

There is no need to panic just yet. Can we not just focus on the other 21 clubs (other than gillingham) that we have to face this season.
To be fair thats 5 wins from the last 25 competitive games thats worse than relagation form

What is the point in giving Brown more time? He's tactically inept and always has been. It's not like he's suddenly going to get it and change his ways. We will never improve under his management. He has taken us as far as he can.

Hard to find some constructive criticism ,think i said about all i can in the match thread,PB either needs to win back the players confidence or do the right thing by SUFC and the supporters and resign, i will be patient and give him until MY 70th birthday on October 4th.:smile: Then i will expect the team to be doing well or PB resigns or RM sacks him .

I've woken up this morning to a triple nightmare. Firstly we lose at home again after seemingly capitulating when in control but unable to convert chances. Secondly I see this post and immediately start sweating on the prospect of Barrett as Manager. Thirdly I enter domesday territory as, though I stand to be corrected, I fear lard Arse Bruce is available and looking.

My view is Phil has to win in August. I honestly think injuries are no excuse and that last season end is firmly in Ron's memory as much as it is in ours. As some have said Ron doesn't knee jerk and that is an admirable quality that deserves praise amongst other faults but that's my prediction

I think what will upset most...is I very much doubt Ron can afford to sack Phil. He is on a nice long term contract with a long term plan with SUFC. 2 games at the start of the season doesn't change the long term plan that would've been set out when he first joint. First two objectives would've been....Get promoted (tick) stabalise in league one (tick) we now have objective three which would be to improve squad and push onto the play-offs....and one league game hasn't decided whether that is possible or not.

Phil has 3 weeks to continue improving the squad and start tonget them to gel together.

If anyone wishes to disagree...my £10 to charity says Phil will still be here in October....

Terrible run of results : LDD*D*/DLLDLD

Yep, that was 2014-15 into 2015-16 and that was in a promotion winning campaign.

We've been here before and PB has turned it around.

There's nothing to suggest we won't be OK in the long run, once the side settles down and we win a couple of games and get some confidence, like we did last season after we beat Peterborough at home.

There's a lot worse than PB out there. Be careful what you wish for.

*Based on score after 90 minutes

I can understand why the knives are out for Phil, but I would also say Ron is culpable - football at all levels is now a rich mans game, he needs to either invest in the squad or sell up. Look at the subs bench last night, total joke that we have only Williams to fall back on, Gilligham have several injuries and they have a significantly better squad than us. Looking at the match programme on Satruday they had about 7 or 8 additional squad players than us, with the injuries we are down to bare bones.

If RM does not deliver Jay Simpson and fund the recruitment of a solid CB and CM then there is no point in him staying. Time and time again he has failed the club in delivering the stadium, and God knows how many decent player have passed our door due to his lack of financial backing.

Easy to blame PB, but the fault also lies at RMs door.

I understand we tried to get JET in on loan, but I bet RM wouldn't pay his salary - big mistake

Regardless of whether PB stays, RM needs to invest in 3 or 4 decent top Lge 1 standard players, otherwise we will struggle whoever is in charge of team affairs...

Yep, I'm sure PB would like to be buying the calibre of player he needs.

He's not stupid and has many contacts in the game, so he would have looked at some of the quality he feels he needs, but if the purse strings don't stretch, he has to work with what we've got.

Granted, some tactical decisions have been a little unclear, but this happens when you have to juggle personnel that other teams don't want and, by definition, might not be up to the standards required.

Too many excuses flying around. There are none. Last season's squad was easily good enough for the play-offs.....it is Brown's fault that we never got there when his tactics, mentality and man-management skills destroyed the second half of the season. With a couple of injuries and departures our squad starting the season is weaker than last season's but not sufficiently enough for us to be relegation fodder IMO. We have still made a few good additions but the players are still playing as if they don't know or like what they've been asked to do, as if they are not enjoying their football, and as if they are not playing for their manager. The buck for that stops with Brown - not RM or "personnel that other teams don't want".

We need fresh ideas. A manager who can get the players on his side. A manager who can get his players playing with a smile on their face again. A manager who will get the best out of his players. A manager who will play to his players' strengths rather than arrogantly trying to fit the players into his tactics and mentality when they clearly don't suit or like it. A manager who isn't intent on carrying out the "square pegs in round holes" method.

If people want to follow Brown like lemmings off the edge of the cliff then fair play but I want him out now otherwise I fear this season will be a continuation of last season and will result in a relegation which, man-for-man, I don't think our squad merits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, I'm sure PB would like to be buying the calibre of player he needs.

He's not stupid and has many contacts in the game, so he would have looked at some of the quality he feels he needs, but if the purse strings don't stretch, he has to work with what we've got.

Granted, some tactical decisions have been a little unclear, but this happens when you have to juggle personnel that other teams don't want and, by definition, might not be up to the standards required.

Exactly mate, but I bet you that if RM had been able to the fund JET loan we would not be having this discussion, and all 'god knows' how many pages of it...

Yeah, well done Justin and shame on Phil, but just imagine if we had JET on the bench and they have wideboy Williams ?

That is why we must sign Simpson, and a few others - it would lift the team morale and hopefully give Phil 'a chance' as I think he has very little chance given the current players he has to chose from, right tactics or not..

I can understand why the knives are out for Phil, but I would also say Ron is culpable - football at all levels is now a rich mans game, he needs to either invest in the squad or sell up. Look at the subs bench last night, total joke that we have only Williams to fall back on, Gilligham have several injuries and they have a significantly better squad than us. Looking at the match programme on Satruday they had about 7 or 8 additional squad players than us, with the injuries we are down to bare bones.

If RM does not deliver Jay Simpson and fund the recruitment of a solid CB and CM then there is no point in him staying. Time and time again he has failed the club in delivering the stadium, and God knows how many decent player have passed our door due to his lack of financial backing.

I understand we tried to get JET in on loan, but I bet RM wouldn't pay his salary - big mistake

Regardless of whether PB stays, RM needs to invest in 3 or 4 decent top Lge 1 standard players, otherwise we will struggle whoever is in charge of team affairs...

Say what you want about RM, but managers have tended to be backed in the transfer market. During his tenure, Brown has - more or less - been able to recruit whenever he's seen the need to. It's one of the main reasons why the squad's been so unbalanced over the last 18 months or so because whenever there's been an issue Brown's response has been to chuck a loanee or three at it and hope it sticks. We had a conveyor belt of strikers in League Two. Last year it was wide players.

It's easy to say we need this and we need that, and that if positions aren't filled Brown's been handicapped, but this has all been known for months now. The vast majority of this board had identified that we needed six, seven, eight, nine transfers this summer, and the club has failed to do that. We spent half the summer chasing our tails failing to land forward targets only to take a punt on Nile Ranger coming good (Cox should be an excellent signing, but can't do it on his own), and it looks for all intents and purposes that by chasing forwards all summer, we've neglected key areas of the squad that blatantly needed strengthening.

Throughout his time here, recruitment has been a glaring weakness in Brown's management. There has been no strategy and no forward planning from Brown/Shaw/Whoever in the transfer window with pretty much every transfer only designed to fix the here and now. Three years into Brown's time at the club, and his chickens have come home to roost.

Too many excuses flying around. There are none. Last season's squad was easily good enough for the play-offs..... The buck for that stops with Brown - not RM or "personnel that other teams don't want".

R
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sorry mate, but I have to disagree with these 2 statements - last season we had no decent front line and we weren't good enough & RM is part of the whole issue, like Brown he needs to up his game

RM is a non league chairman IMHO

Show me the money Ron !!

Exactly mate, but I bet you that if RM had been able to the fund JET loan we would not be having this discussion, and all 'god knows' how many pages of it...

Yeah, well done Justin and shame on Phil, but just imagine if we had JET on the bench and they have wideboy Williams ?

That is why we must sign Simpson, and a few others - it would lift the team morale and hopefully give Phil 'a chance' as I think he has very little chance given the current players he has to chose from, right tactics or not..

Agreed and creativity and a goal threat needs to be balanced with a solid defence, so another CB is a must.

PB's plan is always to have a 'clean sheet mentality' and that's well known.

When we've gone through a rough patch, he has reverted to this and will again for Saturday. I wouldn't be surprised if we go 3-5-2, like we did at Peterborough last season.

Plenty of people want width in the team, but this is where we come unstuck. Our best performances last season were playing with a diamond or 3-5-2. I think PB knows that and may try one or the other for a few games to tighten up and protect the new keeper until he settles in.

We are a revolving door club and always have been, so there will be peaks and troughs in performance, but over 46 games in the last three seasons, we have got more right than wrong.

Ron has provided players, above and beyond sometimes, throughout the Sturrock and Brown reigns. Instead of making claims and accusations, why don't you show us the evidence that it was RM's lack of money that prevented JET from joining us. I know if I were JET I would research an approaching club and as a striker I would not sign on with PB in a million years. The strikers that do are always 'damaged'. Getting older and still after paydays, consistently injured and grateful for whatever, best form long gone and options reducing... These are the types we can sign but they will not make the grade.

We have had a few players not on the lowest wages but they have not delivered the goods. I think it is more than coincidence that we cannot land our preferred targets and I do not think it is anything to do with finances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back