• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Should Phil Brown be sacked?

• Yes - sack him

Votes: 165 55.6%
  • No - he deserves more time

Votes: 132 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the positivity around the club that would follow Powell joining would be so important for the players, the man is class and gets respect from all. Compared to what we have now that would be a nice start.

I would under normal circumstances say give him a little more time but Brown has brought this on himself. After fluttering his eyelashes at Bolton the performances and results fell off a cliff and that has carried over into this season. In my opinion he's lost the dressing room, things are never his fault and would you want to play for a manager that you know will jump ship in a heartbeat if offered another job? Brown has not only courted Bolton but has also made noises at Sunderland and England too. A club record run of defeats tells its own story - for me I think it's time to say "Thanks for the promotion Phil but regrettably a change is needed."

We'll almost certainly lose on Tuesday, Sheffield United's forward players are far too good for this back four (and goalkeeper who doesn't fill me with any confidence at all!). If we also fail to beat Bristol Rovers next weekend then Brown's in trouble. Big trouble.

Today was the first time in years I didn't bother to check the result at 4:50, I was that convinced we'd lose :sad:. Having been out all day watching England at the Oval (depressing enough) I finally checked the result at about 9pm with the inevitable sinking feeling :'(.

I've never been a Phil Brown fan boy, but I give him credit for the consistent defensive prowess he produced in the team in L2, and for the brilliant result at Wembley. Sadly since Christmas last year we've got worse and worse, and all Phil's done is criticise the players more and more. I don't think he's taken any responsibility for a defeat since the Walsall home game at the beginning of last season.

The last straw for me was the dig last week that the squad's not good enough. That may or may not be true (it probably is) but why say it publically? All that does is de-motivate your players even more. Ultimately the buck stops with the manager and I strongly feel that PB should walk now before he's pushed.

EDIT: I've just seen that PB has said 'If you want to blame anyone, blame me' after effectively blaming Ron, saying the only players he had available to bring on as subs were King and the duo who were at loan at Chelmsford, again implying they're not good enough?!
Fantastic way of motivating King, Bridge and Williams, well done :Worthy:. Phil you didn't have to release as many players as you did at the end of last season, stop passing the buck and go away now please.

Anyone but Chris Powell. Not as good as people think, blinded by being an ex blue.
You could be right, but a manager with a genuine passion for the team might just make a difference, and he'd certainly get the crowd behind him :Worthy:. I'd just love to see a team putting their bodies on the line again, that just isn't happening right now, even the likes of Coker and Leonard seem to have lost faith.

Would be happy with Chris Powell, would be a great boost to the club. I know someone mentioned Kenny Jacket but I don't think we would have a cats hell in chance of getting him.

More than a little unfair to compare PB with Steve Wignall. the dislike of Wignall was more than a little, down to his Col U connections. He was on a hiding to nothing even had he got us into the Champions League

Yet he signed some of the players who played a massive role in the double promotion.

Last week, "we've been chasing King for 9 months"
Yesterday, "all I had was a Swansea under 21 to bring on"
You signed the guy Brown, then basically say he isn't good enough after a week! He makes himself sound moronic. Also, how can he have a go at the bench when the team he sent out was already losing. What's the excuse for the starting 11 he assembled. The starting 11 you sent out messed up, its got nothing to do with the 'Chelmsford players'. He deemed players like Deegan inadequate, without getting anyone in to replace them. How can you truly convince proposed targets that Southend is the club for them when it's not the club for him. The guy doesn't want to be here but the problem is, no one else wants him, despite what he thinks of himself.

Before reading the comments I was going to ask why the vote wasn't a yes, no, not yet option. After reading PBs latest comments I'm moving rapidly from end of this month to end of this week. I have no evidence of losing the changing room but he is losing me with excuse after excuse after excuse.

I think the Chairman is going to give PB a bit longer, but not much. One thing that worries me is the lack of resilience in the current team. Once Southend concede a goal, they seem unlikely to bounce back. If PB cannot instill some fight in the team, the Chairman will have to find someone who can. Like some on here, I am still hoping PB can quickly turn it around.

By the way, I do not think Kenny Jackett should be ruled out in the event of the Chairman deciding he wants a change of management. He knows League 1 very well and has a superb record at this level, and RM may ultimately see Jackett as a less risky appointment than Chris Powell. RM will know that managers with Jackett's pedigree rarely become available.

I've got to say I'd be very very surprised if Kenny Jackett came here. There's no doubt that his pedigree at this level is first class but in Millwall and Wolves, he's always operated at bigger clubs than us.

I'm not massively keen on the bloke as I've always felt he's been a bit disrespectful to Southend when interviewed, a bit like Ronnie Moore, but he would be a good appointment.

Whatever people think of Phil Brown now, Ron did a superb job in convincing him to come to a midtable League Two side at the time so I wouldn't rule it out altogether.

I think Chris Powell would be more likely given that he's been out of work for quite a while now and also has an association with the club and fans.

I've got to say I'd be very very surprised if Kenny Jackett came here. There's no doubt that his pedigree at this level is first class but in Millwall and Wolves, he's always operated at bigger clubs than us.

I'm not massively keen on the bloke as I've always felt he's been a bit disrespectful to Southend when interviewed, a bit like Ronnie Moore, but he would be a good appointment.

Whatever people think of Phil Brown now, Ron did a superb job in convincing him to come to a midtable League Two side at the time so I wouldn't rule it out altogether.

I think Chris Powell would be more likely given that he's been out of work for quite a while now and also has an association with the club and fans.

But as Chris is currently assisting Nigel Pearson at Derby there would more than likely be compensation due. I'm not sure we'd have the funds to both pay Brown off and pay the necessary compo to Derby.

Just a suggestion, but why not 'close' all the PB threads and perhaps just keep this one open?

We don't need so many neg threads open to share our views.

Absolutely.

I wasn't surprised that the feelings of anger and frustration are strong at the moment, but there must be about 6 threads at least on the same subject.

This thread has surprised me, though. Despite so much anti-PB feeling supposedly, nearly 40% are in favour of him staying and working through the issues at the moment.

Also, I've listened to yesterday's post-match interview, below :-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p044ldc5

I don't hear a manager giving up on trying to make things work and slagging his players off. Sure, he mentions a few "naïve" errors, but why shouldn't he, if there were some individual errors.

I also heard him supportive of the fact it's a developing team lacking in confidence and saying they all need to work together, including himself.

He does mention needing to strengthen the squad, but that's all that a lot of people on here keep saying he needs to do, anyway, so no surprises there, either.

The tone of the interview was that the players currently in the squad need to feel they have better players coming in to help them arrest the slump and re-build the confidence.

PB is having a side-swipe at not having the funds he needs to pay the wages for the better players. Nothing wrong with saying that, as it's true. We are constantly looking to sign players whose wage demands are high for us to afford.

Things could go either way between now and the end of September, but that didn't sound like someone who was giving up on making this work and was hoping to improve things.

Absolutely.

I wasn't surprised that the feelings of anger and frustration are strong at the moment, but there must be about 6 threads at least on the same subject.

This thread has surprised me, though. Despite so much anti-PB feeling supposedly, nearly 40% are in favour of him staying and working through the issues at the moment.

Also, I've listened to yesterday's post-match interview, below :-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p044ldc5

I don't hear a manager giving up on trying to make things work and slagging his players off. Sure, he mentions a few "naïve" errors, but why shouldn't he, if there were some individual errors.

I also heard him supportive of the fact it's a developing team lacking in confidence and saying they all need to work together, including himself.

He does mention needing to strengthen the squad, but that's all that a lot of people on here keep saying he needs to do, anyway, so no surprises there, either.

The tone of the interview was that the players currently in the squad need to feel they have better players coming in to help them arrest the slump and re-build the confidence.

PB is having a side-swipe at not having the funds he needs to pay the wages for the better players. Nothing wrong with saying that, as it's true. We are constantly looking to sign players whose wage demands are high for us to afford.

Things could go either way between now and the end of September, but that didn't sound like someone who was giving up on making this work and was hoping to improve things.

Good post and as you know I defended Brown after last Saturday's defeat and thought everyone was jumping the gun a bit in wanting him gone.

Now after 2 more defeats and, much more importantly, deafening silence on the transfer front I'm starting to think maybe a change is for the best.

With the lack of emergency loan signings available this year, the use of the transfer windows has seemingly become much more vital and we're two weeks away from it closing.

If Ron really is gonna wield the axe then it needs to be in the next couple of days to give the new man any chance at all at getting players in.

However I do also agree with PB's assessment that the squad isn't good enough and we need additional players. The quality of our bench yesterday was terrible. We literally had no one on there that could realistically come on and change a game in our favour if it was not going our way. We're also being forced to play players that are horrendously off form like David Mooney just because there is no other option.

I do think if the issues with the quality of the squad can be resolved the results will follow. It just all boils down to who Ron trusts what little cash we have with, Phil or someone else?

Yep, I see it that way, too.

PB mentions players like Wordsworth, Timlin and Ranger coming back from injury, so I think he sees we have some strength still in the squad, but he desperately wants a centre-half and a goalscoring forward and so there could be some interesting meetings between him and RM in the next couple of weeks.

Your final paragraph is spot on. RM has to decide if the investment risk of a couple of stronger players would be enough to turn the results around and keep us at this level. I can't see him sacking PB, so it's whether he says he'll have to make what we have work, or take the gamble on a couple of signings.

If the former, PB might walk anyway.

Yep, I see it that way, too.

PB mentions players like Wordsworth, Timlin and Ranger coming back from injury, so I think he sees we have some strength still in the squad, but he desperately wants a centre-half and a goalscoring forward and so there could be some interesting meetings between him and RM in the next couple of weeks.

Your final paragraph is spot on. RM has to decide if the investment risk of a couple of stronger players would be enough to turn the results around and keep us at this level. I can't see him sacking PB, so it's whether he says he'll have to make what we have work, or take the gamble on a couple of signings.

If the former, PB might walk anyway.

I don't know if I agree with this. We need new players regardless of who is in charge. My point was who Ron trusts with the purse strings.

We do have some quality players out injured but I do also think we've been short of a centre back since Bolger left and also need another striker. Simpson would have been a great option but that looks dead in the water now.

But as Chris is currently assisting Nigel Pearson at Derby there would more than likely be compensation due. I'm not sure we'd have the funds to both pay Brown off and pay the necessary compo to Derby.

Ahh ok thats a great point then. Hadn't realised he was an assistant elsewhere.

You could be right, but a manager with a genuine passion for the team might just make a difference, and he'd certainly get the crowd behind him :Worthy:. I'd just love to see a team putting their bodies on the line again, that just isn't happening right now, even the likes of Coker and Leonard seem to have lost faith.
Fans would be behind him until the first series of losses don't you mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back