• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Blues head coach Maher provides update on Demetriou's future

SOUTHEND United boss Kevin Maher remains in talks about Jason Demetriou’s future with the club.

Demetriou seems unlikely to play Blues this season following the arrival of George Wind and his lack of appearances during pre-season.

But Maher hinted he is keen to keep the 36-year-old at Roots Hall.

"It's ongoing," said the Blues head coach.

"He's a great professional.

"He’s been eight years and he’s been instrumental in a lot of what’s gone on behind the scenes here."

Demetriou joined Blues back in 2016 and has made 260 appearances for the club.

Demi is a great pro and has been a wonderful servant to SUFC. He’s put up with so much nonsense over the tough recent years. I just don’t see him playing much if at all bar long term injuries and we have a pretty stacked coaching team for our level. Would love him to remain involved in some capacity, just difficult to see where he fits in.

Well we have gone the extra miles to keep players and rewarding them with bigger contracts for their loyalty- that would apply to Demi more than anyone. Played all over the pitch, including in goal. He even managed us for one game.

I sincerely hope something gets sorted.

Well we have gone the extra miles to keep players and rewarding them with bigger contracts for their loyalty- that would apply to Demi more than anyone. Played all over the pitch, including in goal. He even managed us for one game.

I sincerely hope something gets sorted.
This exactly. Can see Demi being a big part of our future.

Never thought he looked out of his depth last season, can cover so many positions, and always looks comfortable on the ball. Unless he's had enough of full time training I'd have thought it was worth having him registered.

The work Demi does in and around the community make him invaluable to the club
His enthusiasm in training, the changing room and when on the pitch is incredible and infectious and always promotes positivity
He will make a great coach and will slot in perfectly into Kevs plan

For me, he's a must keep. His knowledge of the club, his experience, his engine and his ability to play multiple positions. Plenty of ep year olds look like their race is run, but Demi was fantastic last season.

I imagine he will be looking for a proper coaching role somewhere. Do we really need 4 1st team coaches?

Back