• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bit of a dilemma

sufcintheprem

This is a modified caption
A few months back we had a staff poker tournament which didn't have many people playing and certainly didn't have many good people playing. I managed to stick in there taking the easy chips and leaving the tough ones alone and eventually ended up victorious.

This was all well and good and my prize for that (I was quite shocked by the magnitude) was an all expenses paid trip to Cheltenham for (presumably) gold Cup day next year. So far so good and the dilemma I should be facing is which lovely young lady to take.

However, earlier in the year, we also decided that we enjoyed our ski holiday so much that we would book ours early doors. The date banded around was the 14th to leave and doing a quick check I realised that this would be the Saturday after the Gold Cup. Again, so far so good.

Only, my wonderful friends hadn't bothered to mention that they'd actually booked the holiday a week earlier meaning that there is no way I can go on both the holiday and the horses.

So, in this position, what should I do?

The Cheltenham tickets are probably worth more than the holiday but I don't have tickets in hand or anything like that and possibly never will. I'm a much bigger fan of snowboarding than horseracing too. Would it really be acceptable to auction off this sort of prize when I didn't pay money to enter the tournament?

Of course, this may be me speaking as someone who would far rather go to Cheltenham than snowboarding, but I'd say it'd be a bit 'off' if you auctioned the tickets. Unless the auction money were to go to charity.

agreed with Uxbridge. Also think that touts are *****, so do the right thing and donate the tickets to me.

Thanks in advance!

I have to admit that my offometer has been ringing every time I've thought about how I can auction it.

One other thing I thought about is that I'd quite like to enter the London Marathon and this would pretty much earn almost all of the amount needed to get one of the golden bond places. I could see what that warm generous feeling is like....

Was the prize actually provided by your employers? If so, then I'd suggest you go back to them, explain the predicament and see if they want to auction it around work. If they're happy to back your Marathon entry, they can then ensure you keep your end of the bargain.

However, there are plenty of people who wouldn't have even bothered asking our opinion and just have shoved it on Ebay! The fact you haven't, to me, says your conscience wouldn't let you!

I have to admit that my offometer has been ringing every time I've thought about how I can auction it.

One other thing I thought about is that I'd quite like to enter the London Marathon and this would pretty much earn almost all of the amount needed to get one of the golden bond places. I could see what that warm generous feeling is like....

you have to be careful with ebay, once i listed some big brother tickets, they got to £27 and got a phonecall from Endemol saying that it was illegal.

Was the prize actually provided by your employers? If so, then I'd suggest you go back to them, explain the predicament and see if they want to auction it around work. If they're happy to back your Marathon entry, they can then ensure you keep your end of the bargain.

However, there are plenty of people who wouldn't have even bothered asking our opinion and just have shoved it on Ebay! The fact you haven't, to me, says your conscience wouldn't let you!

Very perceptive - I thought I had mentioned that work might be the place I put it out for auction but apparently not!

It was indeed a prize provided for from work and I imagine with our contacts around Cheltenham (we're a bookies) it would probably be on quite a good deal.

I think the auction it within the company is the only option I can do really but hopefully can get the marathon sponsorship with it too (at least the selfish side gets some sort of payoff).

Easy come, easy go.

I think if you're up front and honest with them and explain that you're hoping it will raise that for you, then I don't see why they should have any problem with it. I believe gaining entry is not always so easy though, so if you want to do it next year you may have already missed the boat. I had a colleague do it several years in a row, and she used to book well ahead of now, and if you can ally yourself with a charitable cause you stand more chance. Good luck!

Am I the only one that thinks there is nothing wrong with auctioning, or selling and keeping the money for yourself? You won the prize fair and square, so it is up to you to do with it what you please. You're only selling because you can't make the date, not because you don't want to go and are after a nice little earner.

Sell the tickets and do something else with the money. If that is buying a place in the marathon then so be it, but if you decide you want to buy a season ticket at Roots Hall then also so be it.

Am I the only one that thinks there is nothing wrong with auctioning, or selling and keeping the money for yourself? You won the prize fair and square, so it is up to you to do with it what you please. You're only selling because you can't make the date, not because you don't want to go and are after a nice little earner.

Sell the tickets and do something else with the money. If that is buying a place in the marathon then so be it, but if you decide you want to buy a season ticket at Roots Hall then also so be it.
You're not on your own here LB. It wasn't a charity raffle in the first place, so why make it one now?!

Come on Awooga, just flog the tickets. Had the poker money been a cash prize, then this wouldn't have even been an issue! I say blame the person who made up the prize!

All comments noted. Think I might wait to hear back the details of the tickets and wait til after I've done the half marathon on Sunday before deciding anything.

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back