• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Back in 1929-30

On a lighter note, Southend were safely in Division 3 (South) and the Rat and his legacy wasn’t even a glint in the old man’s eye.

Lots of teams in the football league who were a powerhouse back then or have since folded and disappeared forever.

Attachments

• IMG_0862.jpeg
    IMG_0862.jpeg
    208.6 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Back then was there re-election for the Div 3 North and South?

On a lighter note, Southend were safely in Division 3 (South) and the Rat and his legacy wasn’t even a glint in the old man’s eye.

Lots of teams in the football league who were a powerhouse back then or have since folded and disappeared forever.
The Div 3S teams seem to have generally fared much better than the 3N ones.

Apparently New Brighton were from Merseyside
Wow! New Brighton now that's a blast from the past for quite a few old Shrimpers. Back in our Fourth Division debut season of 1966-67 the Easter fixtures took us to Tranmere Rovers on Good Friday (won 2-1) and then on Saturday we were beaten 4-1 at eventual Champions Stockport County. Inbetween those 2 matches we stayed in a hotel ? in New Brighton but can't remember anything of note that happened while we stayed there, but certainly can remember it being quite lively after the defeat at Stockport and although I was on one of the 2 coaches who remained safe. The Country fans attacked the famous or rather infamous Bonzmobile and tried to tip it onto its side. YES, very scary to say the least but then it was 1967.

Wow! New Brighton now that's a blast from the past for quite a few old Shrimpers. Back in our Fourth Division debut season of 1966-67 the Easter fixtures took us to Tranmere Rovers on Good Friday (won 2-1) and then on Saturday we were beaten 4-1 at eventual Champions Stockport County. Inbetween those 2 matches we stayed in a hotel ? in New Brighton but can't remember anything of note that happened while we stayed there, but certainly can remember it being quite lively after the defeat at Stockport and although I was on one of the 2 coaches who remained safe. The Country fans attacked the famous or rather infamous Bonzmobile and tried to tip it onto its side. YES, very scary to say the least but then it was 1967.
Those away days in 1960s/70s seem wild. Did Southend have a good following on the road back then? I’m guessing like today you had the usual suspects plus day trippers?

Those away days in 1960s/70s seem wild. Did Southend have a good following on the road back then? I’m guessing like today you had the usual suspects plus day trippers?
Back in those days very few supporters went to away matches, I started going after our first relegation in 1966 aged just 16 when Southend United Supporters Club formed the Youth Section whose Chairman was the late Peter Butler, our support depended as always on how well the team were doing but we would generally take a coach load of between 40 to 50 supporters to the far away matches like Bradford Park Avenue, Barrow, Workington and Exeter often leaving on a Friday night to name a few. If we played at say Q.P.R., Colchester United or Brentford the games being local these places were easy to get to by both road and rail so the support would be greater but certainly NOTHING like it is today. Hitch-hiking was also used back then (rarely seen these days) especially for the mid-week long distance games like Scunthorpe, Halifax, Bradford City etc when quite often there would be less than 6 (yes six) people at any particular match. The one good thing about this was quite often you would be lucky enough to be given a lift back on the team coach which was always a fantastic way to get home quicker and the players were always great to spend time with, it really was an eye opener to say the least. Another thing the players use to do back in those day's was to give the fans who travelled away complimentary tickets which was great and something they always did, (Mike Beesley a friend to this day always gave me a couple).
These days when I travel to some away games (normally if it's a new ground) I am absolutely blown away by the level of support that we have. Yes it is easier to get to most places in the UK these days due to the various road networks but I still find that level of support is incredible for a fifth tier football club and fingers crossed long may it continue. ⚽💙⚽

Last edited:
Back