• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Andy's Man Club: Roots Hall & Hockley

Sentinel

Schoolboy
I don't know how many people are aware of Andy's Man Club but it's been taking place at Roots Hall in the east stand for a couple of years now and on Monday 2nd September a new club opens in Hockley. Andy's Man Club (AMC) was formed after the death by suicide of a man called Andy Roberts in 2016. His mother and brother-in-law were understandably distraught but when they found out that suicide is the biggest killer of men under 45 they vowed to do something about it. They set up Andy's Man Club, a talking group for men where peer to peer support is offered. I first attended AMC back in January and honestly it's the best thing I've ever done. We sit in circles and discuss our problems and help each other through. We've already saved the lives of several men.

What have I discussed?

Being on the autistic spectrum
Using alcohol to get to sleep
The murder of a school friend over 20 years ago

The Southend one takes place at 7pm every Monday at Roots Hall in the east stand. No need to book, no fee, you don't have to talk if you don't want to. We have three circles going and the club has been so successful a new one opens its doors in Hockley next week at Greensward School. What we don't do is play pool or darts whilst having a beer. What we do is to sit and talk about our problems and feelings.

All it takes is that one man to walk through those doors and open up.

A link to the Southend AMC at Roots Hall:

AMC Southend at Roots Hall

A link to the new one at Hockley:

Andy's Man Club Hockley

If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me!

Back