• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Allan Shires

For those of you that don't frequent the SUEPA Facebook page (why not?!!!) here is a little story - re our latest SUEPA recruit - for your enjoyment (I just repeat the post here):

We are always thrilled to get a new member on board, but it can be just a little bit more special when it's someone who was with us almost 60 years ago who we'd spent a long time trying to trace.
This time our thanks go (again) to our man in France, SUEPA Agent WD40, plus a relatively new SUEPA follower Colin (yet to christen him with an Agent name), both whose diligent tracing efforts led us to find an address for someone who we thought might be our target - so we took a punt and pinged off a letter and thankfully we found our man.
So, it's a SUEPA warm welcome to Allan Shires (third left back row in the 64/65 squad pic shown here), who was an apprentice with us in the early/mid 60's. He made just one appearance in our first team (as one of our first ever subs), but we'll let Allan take up his story with his reply to our letter:
"Thank you for your letter and the list of all names you have included from the same period of time I spent as an apprentice for Southend United at Roots Hall. The two years I was there was a wonderful experience. As you say I only had one substitute appearance in the first team. I remember it well, coming on late in the game against Peterborough United when the team were loosing 3-0. This game was television recorded which was shown the following day on a Sunday. When I came on I remember having a shot at the goal that hit the crossbar. Shame it did not go in especially as it was on television.
I was very fortunate to have a scrap book that my father made from all newspaper reports of games I played in at that time which is very nostalgic when I look at these reports and see some of the phots that I was lucky to be in. Although I only played in that one game for the first team of the Blues we did have a very successful youth team playing in the newly formed Mercia League against youth teams of Ipswich Town, Colchester United, Cambridge United and a number of other good youth sides from the Mercia area. We did very well and finished second in the league to Ipswich Town who had a very strong side with many of their players making it to their first team in the next couple of seasons. Players like Mick Mills who captained them and also made the England team. The Mercia League picked a side from teams who had taken part that season (1965-66) to play an end of season match against the winners, Ipswich Towns Youth Team, at Portman Road before they were presented with the winning trophy. The Southend United Youth team had four players picked to play. I was picked along with Ray White and John Baber (on your list) and Frank Matthews. It was a very good game with Ipswich Town winning 3-1. This game was watch by a crowd of over 2,000. A lot for a youth game.
Unfortunately I was released by Southend at the end of the season when my apprenticeship finished. I was approached by Ipswich Town and Colchester United to have a trial. Due to a mishap by Ipswich Town my trial was to be with Colchester United. After a pre-season friendly against Ipswich Town which went very well for myself, I was offered a contract of two years with them. I was very happy to get this offer and managed to start the season in their first team. The first game was away to Shrewsbury Town which we just lost 2-1. The following week was the first round of the League Cup and we had been booked to play Queens Park Rangers at Lotus Road. I was on the bench for this game. Due to our midfield player Bobby Blackwood getting seriously injured with a broken jaw in the first 15 minutes I came on as substitute. Unfortunately QPR had a strong side with a number of well known players, Rodney Marsh, Mark Lazarus, Leslie Allen, Peter Springet, Roger Morgan, etc. Although I came on we lost to them 5-0. They then went on to win the League Cup that year beating Swindon Town in the final.
What I did not know until 25 years later, when it was reported in the local Evening Echo around about the same date, 23rd August, in 1991, was that when I came on as substitute after only 15 minutes into this match was that I became the first substitute to be used in a League Cup match as this was the first season subs were being used. Fame!!
After two seasons with Colchester United I then left to play for one season with Chelmsford City. After that I continued playing for fairly local teams. Had a couple of seasons with Basildon United in the Essex Senior League where we finished behind Billericay Town twice, who eventually went on the win the Vase Cup at Wembley.
I continued playing for top local teams up into my forties with teams like Leigh Ramblers and Echo on Saturdays and vets football on Sundays with teams like Hamlet Court, Stambridge and Courtlands. Saturdays with Echo included players like Frankie Banks, Micky Wright, Ray Scott, Frankie Matthew’s, Mel Slater, Bobby Kellard etc. As you can see a lot of guys from 1964 to 1966.
I didn’t stop playing 5-aside football until 2005 when I had my first hip replacement. Since then I ‘ve playing tennis, either singles or doubles at David Lloyds in Southend. Golf as well. I now have had both hips replaced and only recently had a knee replacement. No tennis or golf for three months, but now back to playing those.
People ask me about playing walking football but that’s a definite no as speed was my main advantage when I was playing not walking. I Just want to keep playing tennis and golf and then life’s good.
We have three grown up children who have given us six grandchildren all above 20. All keen on football, golf and keeping fit. Have a lovely wife, Tina, who I have been with since Southend United days 1965. Been married 54 years in June this year. I am now 75 1/2 years old. Life’s been good.
I hope the above gives you and idea into what I’ve done with all my footballing years. If you ever want to have a look at my Scrap book sometime you are most welcome to do so.
Thanks again for your letter."
We've already been back in touch with Allan and hope to meet up with him soon - and view that scrapbook.

64-65.jpg

Back