• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Academy relaunch

For those (like me) not in the know, what is the difference between an Academy and a Centre of Excellence? Seems we will be running the same age groups etc?

For those (like me) not in the know, what is the difference between an Academy and a Centre of Excellence? Seems we will be running the same age groups etc?

@Exiled Shrimper is your man for this but I think an Academy offers Scholarships.

Scholars are then treated as contracted players whilst CoE players can be pinched by an Academy with (little? no?) compensation.

Isn’t this now run by the Community Trust rather than the club?
Not clear - the announcement earlier in the year for shadow squad was clear that it was under the community trust - this announcement doesn't mention the community trust - are the email addresses for the community trust also @southendunited.com?

Not clear - the announcement earlier in the year for shadow squad was clear that it was under the community trust - this announcement doesn't mention the community trust - are the email addresses for the community trust also @southendunited.com?
Not sure what the email address is to be honest - all I know is that it is known as community foundation trust

Im not certain of all of this but this is my understanding...

We used to have a CofE and with Ricky D, Luke Hobbs and Mark Bonner improved our category status up to Academy.

The category status is based on certain aspects of the structure of the set up, I'm certain we managed to sneak into a category 2 set up (after being a Cat 3 for many years), for a time but couldn't progress due to not having an indoor dome (available) And therefore reaching our limit so to speak.

With us falling down the leagues and then out of the football league, the Academy was disbanded With running costs too much to maintain.

Current scholars are playing under the Community Foundation as that is the best route for our recognised age groups at present as they will be playing competitively.

The CofE in the making will be the catalyst to then streamline talent once again and get back to where we were before it all went Pete Tong.

As I have mentioned, this is how I feel it will work and is in no way to be taken as factual!

giphy.gif

Back